Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Voter registration soaring - mostly the young

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young (under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young

The majority of new voters registering is *always* the young. It
follows from having a lower age limit but no upper one. The young ones
replace the old ones.

(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold any
water. We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic but as we
grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and responsibilities, we
become more realistic and conservative. There's a crossover point in
the demographic which all these simplistic arguments fail to acknowledge.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 10:38, Norman Wells wrote:
On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young

The majority of new voters registering is *always* the young.Â* It
follows from having a lower age limit but no upper one.Â* The young ones
replace the old ones.

(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than
even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold any
water.Â* We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic but as we
grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and responsibilities, we
become more realistic and conservative.Â* There's a crossover point in
the demographic which all these simplistic arguments fail to acknowledge.

Not entirely. There are more left leaning among the young and more right
leaning among the old, but not all change, while those who start out
centerist tend to stay there all their life.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

More like he isn't going to be drawn into Boris' game of trying to
present a general election as a substitute for a referendum. He knows
that he probably wouldn't win another referendum, but thinks he could
win a general election (although a hung parliament seems more likely).
If he won he could then claim to have a mandate to leave without a deal.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 10:04:51 UTC+1, Stephen Cole wrote:
150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young (under 45s).

But it was the younger ones that couldn't be bothered to vote in 2016.
I suspect that if they can vote via a text they will but if it means getting up off their arse or missing a 10mins or more of love island or whatever then they won't bother going to the polling station just like last time.

So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

but you do know that younger voters have also aged.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Now that would be worth watching but I wouldn't be so sure it'll happen.
I remember watching the 1st episode of game of throngs..... winter's coming..
and within 10 mins I was bored and it took ~7 seasons until the end and most didn't like the ending anyway.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 12:42, nightjar wrote:
On 05/09/2019 10:38, Norman Wells wrote:
On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the
majority of
them being young

The majority of new voters registering is *always* the young.Â* It
follows from having a lower age limit but no upper one.Â* The young
ones replace the old ones.

(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election
will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than
even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of
older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold
any water.Â* We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic but as
we grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and responsibilities,
we become more realistic and conservative.Â* There's a crossover point
in the demographic which all these simplistic arguments fail to
acknowledge.

Not entirely. There are more left leaning among the young and more right
leaning among the old, but not all change,

Most do though. The evidence is that we have a Conservative government.
That would be impossible if all the young lefties in the 1960s and
70s, of which there were vast numbers, hadn't abandoned the cause in
mid-life and become the Tory voters of today.

while those who start out
centerist tend to stay there all their life.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

More like he isn't going to be drawn into Boris' game of trying to
present a general election as a substitute for a referendum.

It's rather the other way round. A referendum would be a substitute for
a general election. But a general election is what we currently need
because we have a government that is being prevented by Parliament from
governing. And that has to be resolved.

He knows that he probably wouldn't win another referendum,

He doesn't have to. We've had the one that mattered.

but thinks he could win a general election

Well, that's better surely than Corbyn who is running scared of one.

(although a hung parliament seems more likely).
If he won he could then claim to have a mandate to leave without a deal.

Good.

Posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 14:28, Norman Wells wrote:
[...]

responsibilities, we become more realistic and conservative.Â* There's
a crossover point in the demographic which all these simplistic
arguments fail to acknowledge.

Not entirely. There are more left leaning among the young and more
right leaning among the old, but not all change,

Most do though.Â* The evidence is that we have a Conservative government.
Â*That would be impossible if all the young lefties in the 1960s and
70s, of which there were vast numbers, hadn't abandoned the cause in
mid-life and become the Tory voters of today.

Lots of well-heeled baby boomers are retiring(ed) with pensions of
more average earnings (78,000 at last count). These people, including
the guardian readers are the ones with 2nd homes, BTLs and even the
guardian readers are going to have a dilema in the voting booth.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Norman Wells wrote:
(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold any
water. We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic but as we
grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and responsibilities, we
become more realistic and conservative.

Maybe true of some people but by no means all. I think if anything I
have drifted slightly more left as I have got older but I've been
basically middle of the road Lib-Dem[ish] just about all my life.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Norman Wells wrote:

On 05/09/2019 12:42, nightjar wrote:
On 05/09/2019 10:38, Norman Wells wrote:
On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the
majority of
them being young

The majority of new voters registering is *always* the young. It
follows from having a lower age limit but no upper one. The young
ones replace the old ones.

(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election
will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than
even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the "natural wastage" of
older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold
any water. We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic but as
we grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and responsibilities,
we become more realistic and conservative. There's a crossover point
in the demographic which all these simplistic arguments fail to
acknowledge.

Not entirely. There are more left leaning among the young and more right
leaning among the old, but not all change,

Most do though. The evidence is that we have a Conservative government.
That would be impossible if all the young lefties in the 1960s and
70s, of which there were vast numbers, hadn't abandoned the cause in
mid-life and become the Tory voters of today.

A common fallacy. First a minor point. The hippies in general were
tolerant of personal choices but not particularly left wing in other
respects. But the major point is that all the left wing students, while
being of interest to their parents in the media, were a small minority
of the population. The great bulk of youth spent the sixties beating up
pakistanis and homosexuals and gradually moving from beer to lager for
their main recreational activities. I doubt if progressive/left wing
youth accounted for 10% and certainly not 20% of our generation. Even
among students left wing, right wing and not interested in politics were
groups of approximately equal size. The oft remarked permissivenes was
not in any since linked to socio-economic beliefs.

[...]

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 14:28:38 +0100, Norman Wells
wrote:

snip

He knows that he probably wouldn't win another referendum,

He doesn't have to. We've had the one that mattered.

It didn't even count, let alone 'matter' from my POV. It didn't
because it was a question few were asking that no one could
intelligently answer (assuming the goal is improving the quality of
the lives of 'most people'), well unless they were clairvoyants of
course.

And that was over three years ago ... and a once in a lifetime,
unrepeatable deal, partly decided (if you could consider a near 50:50
a 'decision') by the spin and lies presented to a gullible percentage
of the electorate who used the referendum as the opportunity to vote
on everything else.

You still hear it today from them ... 'un elected bureaucrats in
Brussels' (but they are never able to cite even a *single* instance of
something that has affected them or their directly) or 'My Grandad
fought for this country so we didn't all have to speak German ...'
yada yada yada.

One today was that he voted to join the EEC, but not for it to become
the EU. I asked him what he has been doing about it for the last 30 or
whatever years and the answer (of course) was 'nothing'.

I wasn't doing anything about it either (along with the 2/3rds of the
electorate who *didn't* vote to leave) because I had no reason to.

And of course they are completely oblivious / unaware or in denial of
all the things they currently enjoy or rely on that only came about
*because* of our membership of the EU.

What a complete waste of time a resources, a white elephant if there
ever was one.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 5 September 2019 10:04:51 UTC+1, Stephen Cole wrote:
150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday

There have been 150,000 registrations to vote.

There might be rather fewer than 150,000 people behind them, though.

Owain

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Stephen Cole wrote

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority
of them being young (under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next
few weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election
will be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than
even in GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť
of
older right/leave voters.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked.

And yet they were happy to elect Boris as mayor, twice.

Change is coming.

It always does, but its unlikely to see that fool Corbyn as PM.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

"Norman Wells" wrote in message
On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young

The majority of new voters registering is *always* the young. It follows
from having a lower age limit but no upper one. The young ones replace
the old ones.

(under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even
in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

This argument has been run so many times before, and it doesn't hold any
water. We all start out left-leaning, naive and idealistic

I didnt. Boris didnt either. Maggie didnt either.

but as we grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and
responsibilities, we become more realistic and conservative.

Corbyn and Foot didnt.

There's a crossover point in the demographic which all these simplistic
arguments fail to acknowledge.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 05:59:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Bill Wright to Rot Speed:
"That confirms my opinion that you are a despicable little ****."
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 06:13:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I didn˘t. Boris didn˘t either. Maggie didn˘t either.

Neither Boris nor Maggie are any of yours, Ozzie pest!

but as we grow up, and have families, jobs, mortgages and
responsibilities, we become more realistic and conservative.

Corbyn and Foot didn˘t.

Neither Corbyn nor Foot are any of yours, senile trolling Ozzietard!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 20:07, Roger Hayter wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:

[...]

So you say. But you're wrong.
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Its more complicated than that, particularly given that Blair
put one hell of a bomb under Labour and wasnt lefty at all.

And given that Labour only had a single term at a time before Blair.

while those who start out centerist tend to stay there all their life.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

More like he isn't going to be drawn into Boris' game of trying to
present a general election as a substitute for a referendum.

It's rather the other way round. A referendum would be a substitute for a
general election. But a general election is what we currently need
because we have a government that is being prevented by Parliament from
governing. And that has to be resolved.

That could be resolved by a second referendum with a majority to remain.

He knows that he probably wouldn't win another referendum,

He doesn't have to. We've had the one that mattered.

but thinks he could win a general election

Well, that's better surely than Corbyn who is running scared of one.

(although a hung parliament seems more likely). If he won he could then
claim to have a mandate to leave without a deal.

Good.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 07:45:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Its more complicated than that

Is it, you auto-contradicting senile asshole from Oz?

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Stephen Cole wrote:
150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young (under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

If youd attended a proper Uni, youd know why this happens at this time of
year.

Hint: students go off to Uni soon. They register to vote in their Uni town.
They can even be registered in two places, provided they only vote in one.
As can those with second homes ;-)

Why is anyone over 18 not already registered, it is a legal requirement.

A few may have a valid reason but hardly a significant number.

Still, you only did Intermediate Maths so the sums are probably beyond you.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 22:45, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

It's got nothing to do with Blair. It's to do with the natural
progression of people through their lifetimes.

And given that Labour only had a single term at a time before Blair.

while those who start out centerist tend to stay there all their life.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

More like he isn't going to be drawn into Boris' game of trying to
present a general election as a substitute for a referendum.

It's rather the other way round.Â* A referendum would be a substitute
for a general election.Â* But a general election is what we currently
need because we have a government that is being prevented by
Parliament from governing.Â* And that has to be resolved.

That could be resolved by a second referendum with a majority to remain.

No, it couldn't. Boris's administration is a minority one. It is being
prevented by others in Parliament from dong what it was elected to do,
ie govern.

What is rquwired is a general election. A further referendum would not
give Boris or anyone else the authority and power it needs to govern.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.sheds

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 22:23:37 +0000 (UTC)
Brian Reay wrote:

Still, you only did Intermediate Maths so the sums are probably
beyond you.

Tell us your thoughts on the mathematics of rowlocks, Brian.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

[...]

That can't explain why Labour has only ever managed single
terms until Blair showed up.

Or why there is a completely different result in France.

And given that Labour only had a single term at a time before Blair.

while those who start out centerist tend to stay there all their life.

Looks like Boris goose is cooked. Change is coming.

Strange that Corbyn has declined to put it to the test then.

Perhaps he's looked at the polls.

More like he isn't going to be drawn into Boris' game of trying to
present a general election as a substitute for a referendum.

It's rather the other way round. A referendum would be a substitute for
a general election. But a general election is what we currently need
because we have a government that is being prevented by Parliament from
governing. And that has to be resolved.

That could be resolved by a second referendum with a majority to remain.

No, it couldn't.

Of course it could because then parliament would be able
to carry on regardless and do what the chancellor has just
announced except for how it would be paid for.

Boris's administration is a minority one. It is being prevented by others
in Parliament from dong what it was elected to do, ie govern.

Only on the brexit question.

What is rquwired is a general election. A further referendum would not
give Boris or anyone else the authority and power it needs to govern.

But if it got a majority remain, the current parliament is unlikely to have
any problem with what else the current govt wants to do to govern.

Plenty of govts work fine without a parliamentary majority, by implementing
policys that some of the non govt members are prepared to vote for.

I bet the current parliament would have no problem with doing all the
stuff that the chancellor has just announced the govt will be doing.

The only real exception might be preparations for a no deal brexit.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 10:04, Stephen Cole wrote:
150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority of
them being young (under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next few
weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election will
be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than even in
GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť of older
right/leave voters.

Lets examine that :

150k you say, but young voters tend to have low turnout, being generous,
say 60%, so only 90k actual votes - spread across 626 constituencies,
that's less than 150 each.

Then, not all of them will vote Labour - say 2/3rds which leaves Labour
with a net benefit of just 50 votes. Just 8 seats were won by that
margin in 2017, and only 2 of those were Tory, so that 150k really won't
make much difference at all...

--

Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

I personally feel that the reason they do not want an election is because in
the interim time the date will come to pass and we will be out by default.
Have you ever considered why there is actually a date in the first place?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
[...]

Oh, Brian. You really are a reactionary little ****wit, eh? Hint; the
comparative data is online, OM. You really should get your facts straight
before you **** the bed like this. HTH. YFI.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

Well see. The broad feeling amongst the newly-of-voting-age group seems to
be one of quite passionate politicisation, due to growing up through Tory
austerity, suffering under colossal university fees, disenfranchisement wrt
Brexit vote, fear at environmental collapse, and so on. These kids are
angry and now theyve got the vote we should expect them to use it.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

ROTFL.

You are describing your political views, ie those of a lazy under achiever
who thinks the world owes him a living.

Not everyone thinks like that, not even every young person. True, those who
have been dragged out of school to festivals etc and tainted by their
parents will turn out as failures but their are others who will go on and
succeed. There have always been wasters like you. There always will be.
Where do you think the Spikes and Gareths of the world come from?

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

EU Citizen Brian €śKampf€ť Reay G8OSN wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

Its ok, Brian. I know youre very upset about how Brexit is panning out
and how badly your far right chums in Parliament are doing but console
yourself with the knowledge that the next generation are going to really
enjoy spending the proceeds of the Land Value Tax that Comrade Corbyns
going to levy on you, OM.

LOL!

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

You are describing your political views, ie those of a lazy under achiever
who thinks the world owes him a living.

Not everyone thinks like that, not even every young person. True, those who
have been dragged out of school to festivals etc and tainted by their
parents will turn out as failures but their are others who will go on and
succeed. There have always been wasters like you. There always will be.

quality put down....tee hee

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

that is all the know how to do...tax and spend on layabouts ....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 10:02:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The only real exception might be preparations for a no deal brexit.

Yeah, senile Rodent, KEEP teaching those dumb Brits about how things REALLY
are in Britain! Good heavens ...what a pathological Australian asshole you
are!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 14:28, Norman Wells wrote:
On 05/09/2019 12:42, nightjar wrote:

Not entirely. There are more left leaning among the young and more
right leaning among the old, but not all change,

Most do though.Â* The evidence is that we have a Conservative government.
Â*That would be impossible if all the young lefties in the 1960s and
70s, of which there were vast numbers, hadn't abandoned the cause in
mid-life and become the Tory voters of today.

A recent study showed that, while the right wing leanings come with age
theory is true to some extent, it has also been found that there is a
generational effect as well. Not every generation starts from the same
base line and the current trend is for successive generations to start
off more left wing than their predecessors. That means that, while
members of that generation may well move to the right as they age, they
probably won't end up as far right as the generation before them. The
crossover point is not fixed.

It's rather the other way round.Â* A referendum would be a substitute for
a general election.Â* But a general election is what we currently need
because we have a government that is being prevented by Parliament from
governing.Â* And that has to be resolved.

That is entirely down to Boris. It was his insistence on a no deal
Brexit that lead a number of Conservative MPs, his brother included, to
put the national interest before their own careers. He single handedly
lost the government's working majority and, having lost control, nobody
trusts him enough to give it back.

He knows that he probably wouldn't win another referendum,

He doesn't have to.Â* We've had the one that mattered.

Aside from the fact that the evidence is that public opinion now favours
remain over leave, that referendum only gave the government a mandate to
leave the EU. It did not give it a mandate to leave in the most damaging
way possible. People have a right to the sort of Brexit that the Leave
campaign described, which is not what they would get with a no deal
Brexit. If Boris wants to be able to claim that the people back a no
deal Brexit, he can only do so if he gets a clear mandate for that
option in another referendum.

but thinks he could win a general election

Well, that's better surely than Corbyn who is running scared of one.

He isn't running scared. he simply isn't going to dance to Boris' tune.
Labour has already said it is quite willing to support a general
election in mid-November.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 19:59, Rod Speed wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote

150,000 people have registered to vote since Monday, with the majority
of them being young (under 45s). So, if that keeps up through the next
few weeks, the demographics at the next (very imminent) general election
will be somewhat more considerably left-leaning and remain-leaning than
even in GE2017, particularly so when you factor in the €śnatural wastage€ť
of older right/leave voters. Change is coming.

It always does, but its unlikely to see that fool Corbyn as PM.

"The total number of UK parliamentary electors increased by just over 1
million (2.3%) between December 2015 and December 2016, this partly
reflects high levels of public engagement with the EU referendum."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ticsforuk/2016

--
Spike

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

Its called €średistribution of wealth€ť, Jim. Specifically, were going to
redistribute Brians wealth, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2019 22:23, Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:

[...]

"Table 1 shows the 10 areas that experienced the greatest percentage
increases in parliamentary electors between 2015 and 2016.

Several of the areas in the top 10 (Cardiff Central, Lancaster and
Fleetwood, Leeds Central, Lewisham, Deptford and Sheffield Central) are
home to large numbers of students or are urban areas that are likely to
experience high levels of population churn."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ticsforuk/2016

--
Spike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Sep 2019 09:28:15 +0100, nightjar wrote:

snip

Aside from the fact that the evidence is that public opinion now favours
remain over leave, that referendum only gave the government a mandate to
leave the EU. It did not give it a mandate to leave in the most damaging
way possible. People have a right to the sort of Brexit that the Leave
campaign described, which is not what they would get with a no deal
Brexit.

Yup, send Brexit back under a Trading Standards 'not of merchantable
quality' and 'not fit for purpose' deal. Luckily the EU has given us a
3 (not 1) year warranty on many things and given Brexit was supposed
to last us 'a lifetime', the fanatical Brexiteers should give us our
money back and probably a whole load of compensation as well!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

.....in the 70's labour taxed us all until out pips squeaked......when
maggie got in income tax went down.....but tax on goods went up......so
who did that benefit?.....those with high incomes....you can only buy so
much and their income tax went down so the rich were beter off and the
poor were hammered.....just the way I see it.....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.d-i-y,uk.politics.misc

Stephen Cole wrote:
Vidcapper wrote:
[...]

so am I right or am I right ? ......
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2019 07:42, Brian Gaff wrote:

I personally feel that the reason they do not want an election is because in
the interim time the date will come to pass and we will be out by default.
Have you ever considered why there is actually a date in the first place?

It's a question I have asked here several times. Sadly, no-one seems
able to answer it. They all assume, like many commentators, that we
decide if we want an extension and the EU automatically grants it.

That's certainly been what has happened to date. If it continues, it
means though that any 'deadline' is nothing of the sort, and setting one
is absolutely meaningless.