Old September 11th 19, 01:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BoJo a million miles out of his depth

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 17:05:44 UTC+1, Norman Wells wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:

If adding chlorine was necessary to make chicken safe to eat, why isn't it
used in the UK?

It isn't exactly safe to eat, not if you take preparation into account
as part of that. There are even official warnings about washing raw
chicken under the tap for example:

I wasn't suggesting you eat it raw. Do you do this?

It's pretty serious contamination if you're advised *not* to wash it
first for fear of spreading the contamination around.

It does sound a little weird.
I think using the word never is a bit odd.
perhaps you shouldn't wash yuor hands either after using the toilet as that too could spread bacteria in a similar way.

And if you buy it raw, you'll be handling it, preparing it, and maybe
even undercooking it.

I'd wash it if I thought it needed it.

It *must* be better to do what you can to reduce the contamination, and
chlotrine washing is one cheap and effective way. It's daft not to.

Old September 11th 19, 01:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 10 September 2019 18:40:48 UTC+1, [email protected] wrote:
On 10/09/2019 13:24, whisky-dave wrote:

Chlorine is used to wash salad in the EU.

You mean tap water?

No.

Washing chicken in chlorine and other disinfectants to remove harmful bacteria was a practice banned by the European Union (EU) in 1997 over food safety concerns. ... Chlorine-rinsed bagged salads are common in the UK and other countries in the EU.5 Mar 2019

https://www.healthyfood.com/ask-the-...-and-chlorine/
Old September 11th 19, 02:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc
Joe Joe is offline

On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:30:13 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Well some of the exhaust sensors can fail and the engine will run,
just at high emissions for example.

some sensors can fail and the engine will still run normally

Which ones would those be?

Not the crankshaft position sensor.

But the emissions sensors generally provide feedback. If one fails, the
engine light will come on and the engine management system will use the
last available settings from when the sensor was working. In the long
term, the engine will drift out of emissions spec. but it will go on
running reasonably well for a while.

Early engine management systems used a default set of values after
sensor failure, which would generally get you home but was quite poor.
It's a bit more sophisticated today.

But to drift back to the topic, my current car has tyre pressure
sensors, which are literally more trouble than they are worth, as they
are worthless. They are not particularly accurate, and apparently put
more wear and tear on valve bodies than formerly. I've had to replace
two valves, at a cost of about thirty pounds, which have torn around the
seating. Again, light on, MOT fail, regardless of the actual tyre
pressures, which of course are a potential failure point in their own
right.

--
Joe

Old September 11th 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On 11/09/2019 13:16, michael adams wrote:
On 11/09/2019 12:27, michael adams wrote:

On 11/09/2019 08:53, michael adams wrote:
It allows clueless people to convince even more clueless
people that they actually know what they're talking about.

More especially if, as I say, latin phrases are involved,

Since I fought a case on whiuch that issue was pertinent Michael,it is more than just
latin phrase.

Your egotism

er ego /ig, e-/ n. Pl. -os. E19. [L = I pron.] DNB

I take you do know what the L denotes there ?

er

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egotism

Christ you are a thicker **** than I ever imagined possible

Still snipping away I see. As if nobody would notice. Anyway here
is what I actually posted -

Indeed. Wikipedia is a really great idea isn't it ?

It allows clueless people to convince even more clueless
people that they actually know what they're talking about.

So you admit that egotism is a word with whuch you are entirely
uinfmailar then?

michael adams

The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Old September 11th 19, 02:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc

In article ,
Joe wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:30:13 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Well some of the exhaust sensors can fail and the engine will run,
just at high emissions for example.

some sensors can fail and the engine will still run normally

Which ones would those be?

Not the crankshaft position sensor.

But the emissions sensors generally provide feedback. If one fails, the
engine light will come on and the engine management system will use the
last available settings from when the sensor was working. In the long
term, the engine will drift out of emissions spec. but it will go on
running reasonably well for a while.

Not on my new car 6 years ago. Engine would tick over - but that was it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Old September 11th 19, 02:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc

Joe wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:30:13 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Well some of the exhaust sensors can fail and the engine will run,
just at high emissions for example.

some sensors can fail and the engine will still run normally

Which ones would those be?

Not the crankshaft position sensor.

Possibly the worst one to go :-)

[...]

Did you have an actual fail for a tyre pressure warning? That seems a
bit harsh, unless they are are obviously visually low.
Old September 11th 19, 03:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Norman Wells wrote:

[...]

The idea behind not washing chicken, especially previously frozen chicken,
in particular under a tap ( as was once recommended, is that you may splash
contaminated water around and not clean it up.

Any bacteria on the surface of the chicken, including the body cavity,
should be killed by proper cooking.

Problems arise if the chicken isn’t fully defrosted and therefore doesn’t
reach the correct temperature everywhere or isn’t cooked long enough or at
a high enough temperature.

Old September 11th 19, 03:24 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

[...]

Er no.

Because in this case, your citing of Wikipedia failed to convince
me that you know what you're talking about.

( Which to be fair would be a diffiicult enough job under any circumstances)

Had I been even more clueless then you are, then your conclusion
would indeed be correct.

But I'm not, so it isn't.

Anyway how is Boris's defence coming along ?

( At this point I'd like to express a sincere vote of thanks to all those
members of the Conservative Party who voted for Boris as
leader of their Party for providing unparalleled entertainment
ever since he was elected, What with Mr Pastry getting the
bullet from Trtump it's been quite a week so far.

michael adams

Old September 11th 19, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Norman Wells wrote:

[...]

That goes for any product, including me washing my hands after I've fed the cat or had a crap. This sort of thing wss bought up a coupe of years ago regarding the new (then ) dyson hand dryers as they were blowing the water off peoples hands adn then into their face as you swiviled the nozel.
Well at least I worked out the possible problems and said I didn't like them so I avioded toilets with them in.
we have the new versions now which blow the water back onto the grion area of your trousers.

https://www.dyson.co.uk/hand-dryers.html
The right hand side version.

Any bacteria on the surface of the chicken, including the body cavity,
should be killed by proper cooking.

Problems arise if the chicken isn’t fully defrosted and therefore doesn’t
reach the correct temperature everywhere or isn’t cooked long enough or at
a high enough temperature.

Stanard for most meats isn't it.

Old September 11th 19, 04:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.politics.misc

In article ,
Joe wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 13:30:13 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Well some of the exhaust sensors can fail and the engine will run,
just at high emissions for example.

some sensors can fail and the engine will still run normally

Which ones would those be?

Not the crankshaft position sensor.

On some makes, the cam position sensor can take over when the CPS fails,
and allow the engine to run in limp home mode.

But the emissions sensors generally provide feedback. If one fails, the
engine light will come on and the engine management system will use the
last available settings from when the sensor was working. In the long
term, the engine will drift out of emissions spec. but it will go on
running reasonably well for a while.

True. Depends on what you mean by run normally.

Early engine management systems used a default set of values after
sensor failure, which would generally get you home but was quite poor.
It's a bit more sophisticated today.

But to drift back to the topic, my current car has tyre pressure
sensors, which are literally more trouble than they are worth, as they
are worthless. They are not particularly accurate, and apparently put
more wear and tear on valve bodies than formerly. I've had to replace
two valves, at a cost of about thirty pounds, which have torn around the
seating. Again, light on, MOT fail, regardless of the actual tyre
pressures, which of course are a potential failure point in their own
right.

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.