DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bathroom Tiles (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639268-bathroom-tiles.html)

[email protected] August 27th 19 08:37 PM

Bathroom Tiles

I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that looks a bit out of date.
Thanks.

Adrian Caspersz August 27th 19 08:56 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that looks a bit out of date.
Thanks.

Same size bathroom, we went straight to black floor tiles without trim.
Stagger the tiles like brickwork, don't do them like a spreadsheet.

--
Adrian C

[email protected] August 27th 19 09:46 PM

Bathroom Tiles

Thanks. What did you do for the wall tiles?

ss August 27th 19 10:00 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 21:46, wrote:
Thanks. What did you do for the wall tiles?

This one I did earlier, difficult to get a good image without a wide
angle lense but may give you an idea.:

https://imgur.com/RqWW2OC

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 27th 19 10:58 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a
bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black
floor tile would look ok? It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that
looks a bit out of date. Thanks.

Black and white is OK
Your look will appear dated the moment your wife reads the next interior
decoration magazine. So don't worry.
Am I the only one who rather LIKED avocado?

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.

Rod Speed August 28th 19 05:01 AM

Bathroom Tiles

wrote

I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom
in all
white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look
ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.

Yep, tho I wouldnt personally do it because all white would show dirt
easily.

I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around
the edges because that looks a bit out of date.

Yeah, all white is likely to age better, less likely to look dated.

jeikppkywk August 28th 19 05:30 AM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a
bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black
floor tile would look ok? It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq. I'm
hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that
looks a bit out of date. Thanks.

Black and white is OK
Your look will appear dated the moment your wife reads the next interior
decoration magazine. So don't worry.

Am I the only one who rather LIKED avocado?

Yep, looks like spew to me.

Jeff Layman[_2_] August 28th 19 07:23 AM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a
bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black
floor tile would look ok? It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that
looks a bit out of date. Thanks.

Black and white is OK
Your look will appear dated the moment your wife reads the next interior
decoration magazine. So don't worry.
Am I the only one who rather LIKED avocado?

I'm pretty certain there was a lot of confusion at that time between
avocado and pampas. I had a pampas bathroom in my first house, yet a
number of visitors referred to the "avocado" suite in the bathroom.

FWIW I liked pampas as a colour. Not so much avocado, but it wasn't as
bad as it was made out to be. I've little doubt it became a dislike
bandwagon for people to jump on...

--

Jeff

[email protected] August 28th 19 07:50 AM

Bathroom Tiles

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 20:37:40 UTC+1, wrote:

I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that looks a bit out of date.
Thanks.

A lot of sunlight hits floors, making a black floor not so good. Also black is terrible for showing up dirt, and dirt does of course settle on floors mostly.

I misread it as 7 sq ft, was thinking that was a bit small :)

NT

Adrian Caspersz August 28th 19 09:48 AM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 21:46, wrote:
Thanks. What did you do for the wall tiles?

Both.

--
Adrian C

Peeler[_4_] August 28th 19 10:02 AM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:30:46 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Black and white is OK
Your look will appear dated the moment your wife reads the next interior
decoration magazine. So don't worry.

Am I the only one who rather LIKED avocado?

Yep, looks like spew to me.

Does it, senile idiot?

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."

Peeler[_4_] August 28th 19 10:04 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:01:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

wrote

I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom
in all
white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look
ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.

Yep, tho I wouldn¢t personally do it because all white would show dirt
easily.

Which is one of the advantages of it, senile idiot!

I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around
the edges because that looks a bit out of date.

Yeah, all white is likely to age better, less likely to look dated.

It could never be as outdated as you are, senile pest!

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rot:
Andrew[_22_] August 28th 19 01:53 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:56, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a
bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black
floor tile would look ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that
looks a bit out of date.
Thanks.

Same size bathroom, we went straight to black floor tiles without trim.
Stagger the tiles like brickwork, don't do them like a spreadsheet.

except that all the bathrooms I see on Homes under the hammer post-refit
seem to have a common theme. Strange grey floor and wall tiles mostly
fitted like a spreadsheet

Andrew[_22_] August 28th 19 01:55 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 22:00, ss wrote:
On 27/08/2019 21:46, wrote:
Thanks. What did you do for the wall tiles?

This one I did earlier, difficult to get a good image without a wide
angle lense but may give you an idea.:

https://imgur.com/RqWW2OC

Ah, a £299 saturday morning 'special' bog at the BM's.

Some estate agents would say this is only suitable for the rental
market. :-)

Andrew[_22_] August 28th 19 01:56 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 28/08/2019 05:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a
bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black
floor tile would look ok? It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that
looks a bit out of date. Thanks.

Black and white is OK
Your look will appear dated the moment your wife reads the next
interior decoration magazine. So don't worry.

Am I the only one who rather LIKED avocado?

Yep, looks like spew to me.

Most people don't know the difference between Avocado and
Pampas Green (a more common 1970's colour).

Andrew[_22_] August 28th 19 01:58 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 28/08/2019 07:23, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
[...]

A more serious problem is the size of the bath. Pampas green baths
will be imperial size and getting a replacement imperial sized bath
is less easy than the metric ones used now.

Andrew[_22_] August 28th 19 02:00 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
I decoration is a personal thing but do you think that tiling a bathroom in all white tiles (30cm x 60cm) with dark grey, near black floor tile would look ok?
It's only a small bathroom, about 7ft sq.
I'm hesitant to put a mosaic tile trim around the edges because that looks a bit out of date.
Thanks.

Always have a mottled coloured floor because it means any dust or
'contamination' will be less obvious.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] August 28th 19 05:45 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 27/08/2019 20:37, wrote:
[...]

The colour I didnt like was **** brown

fully understood.

alan_m August 28th 19 11:11 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 28/08/2019 07:23, Jeff Layman wrote:

FWIW I liked pampas as a colour. Not so much avocado, but it wasn't as
bad as it was made out to be. I've little doubt it became a dislike
bandwagon for people to jump on...

I believe my original ****ty light brown bathroom suite colour was
called Champagne

alan_m August 28th 19 11:17 PM

Bathroom Tiles

On 28/08/2019 13:58, Andrew wrote:

A more serious problem is the size of the bath. Pampas green baths
will be imperial size and getting a replacement imperial sized bath
is less easy than the metric ones used now.

That's was the problem I had. The original bath was fitted first and
then a cupboard was build at the end of the bath. After a lot of
searching the easiest option in the end was to dismantle and reconstruct
the cupboard to gain a few more centimeters to fit a new bath.