DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   reverse flow radiator (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639127-reverse-flow-radiator.html)

Linda Firth August 23rd 19 07:44 PM

reverse flow radiator

l want to install a 1600 flat vertical radiator but my pipes come through the
ceiling. l dont want the pipes to run down along the wall, so is it possible
to have the feed coming in through the top instead of the bottom. Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1379799-.htm

[email protected] August 23rd 19 08:16 PM

reverse flow radiator

On Friday, 23 August 2019 19:44:03 UTC+1, Linda Firth wrote:

l want to install a 1600 flat vertical radiator but my pipes come through the
ceiling. l dont want the pipes to run down along the wall, so is it possible
to have the feed coming in through the top instead of the bottom. Thanks

I'm not clear what you want to do. A rad can have its water flow in any direction, the 2 issues to bear in mind a

1. They tend to accumulate air, this must be let out at the top either by the built-in bleed valve or go up a pipe with exiting water. The former is manual, the latter automatic.

2. Hot water tends to stratify at the top of the rad, cooler at the bottom so you get more heat output if water goes in & out at the bottom. But it still works the other way.

NT

harry August 26th 19 03:46 PM

reverse flow radiator

On Friday, 23 August 2019 19:44:03 UTC+1, Linda Firth wrote:
l want to install a 1600 flat vertical radiator but my pipes come through the
ceiling. l dont want the pipes to run down along the wall, so is it possible
to have the feed coming in through the top instead of the bottom. Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1379799-.htm

It can be done but only by running to flow pipe down the INSIDE of the radiator to a point close to the lower edge to ensure correct circulation

Tricky Dicky[_4_] August 26th 19 04:15 PM

reverse flow radiator

Have the pipes come down the wall behind the radiator at worst you will see the pipes above the radiator and where they enter the valves at the bottom.. Better still use plastic minibore piping sunk into the plaster behind the radiator splaying it out from a wall adaptor plate near the base of the radiator into the two valves. My daughter has this arrangement for all her radiators and you barely see the pipes at the valves. One benefit of this arrangement is that the air release point is where it should be at the top of the radiator.

Richard