DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Catalytic Converters (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/639044-catalytic-converters.html)

John August 22nd 19 09:19 AM

Catalytic Converters

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. August 22nd 19 09:27 AM

Catalytic Converters

John presented the following explanation :
Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

A 20Kv PD between car's body and the ground?

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 22nd 19 09:57 AM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

I cant believe people do that...do they jack the car up?

John August 22nd 19 10:08 AM

Catalytic Converters

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in news:fOs7F.191444
:

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

I cant believe people do that...do they jack the car up?

They shuffle under - they don't mind getting dirty or having proper tools -
2 mins is the usual time.

Robin August 22nd 19 10:35 AM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
John presented the following explanation :
Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

A 20Kv PD between car's body and the ground?

tricky to isolate the converter - necessary now tyres conduct well
enough to prevent large static differences?

--
Robin

Tim+[_5_] August 22nd 19 10:52 AM

Catalytic Converters

John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

Unfortunately we now live in the age of the battery-powered angle-grinder.
Im not sure how easy it is to make anything proof against these.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Another John August 22nd 19 12:28 PM

Catalytic Converters

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:19:11 +0000, John wrote:

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

Was it stolen as a part, or for metal ?

I thought metal theft was a thing of the past, as "they've done something
about it" ?

And the thieving *******s who nick it (and the people who deal with
them) have "done something about what the authorities had done about it".

In other words: metal theft still goes on, big time, same people (if you
can call them that), same channels.

I was amazed, and distraught, last month to be visiting a tiny church
hidden in the hills of the Borders, to be told that lead still gets
stolen from the roof every now and again.

John

Another John August 22nd 19 12:30 PM

Catalytic Converters

In article 6,
John wrote:

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.

What I'd like to know, John, is what sort of car(s), and in what region
do you live? I thought cats (cars' cats) had not been a target for a
long time, now.

John

Andrew[_22_] August 22nd 19 02:15 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

My neighbour, ex MOT tester and garage owner says only the OEM
cats are worth any money to the trade, while the after market ones
are not worth stealing.

Andrew[_22_] August 22nd 19 02:17 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

I cant believe people do that...do they jack the car up?

They shuffle under - they don't mind getting dirty or having proper tools -
2 mins is the usual time.

SUV/ crossovers have a lot more ground clearance, as do vans.

Something like a citroen DS would defeat them.

Andrew[_22_] August 22nd 19 02:18 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 12:28, Another John wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:

[...]

The insurance co that covers churches insists on proper lead as a
replacement.

Andrew[_22_] August 22nd 19 02:19 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 12:30, Another John wrote:
In article 6,
John wrote:

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.

What I'd like to know, John, is what sort of car(s), and in what region
do you live? I thought cats (cars' cats) had not been a target for a
long time, now.

John

Older OEM cats still have valuable metal content.

Andrew[_22_] August 22nd 19 02:21 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

Local gravedigger left his tranny van overnight at a remote church
and the next day the pikeys had ripped open the bonnet and nicked
the battery.

They just peeled the bonnet up on one side.

they were probably scouting the church for other metals to take.

Max Demian August 22nd 19 03:06 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 12:28, Another John wrote:

I was amazed, and distraught, last month to be visiting a tiny church
hidden in the hills of the Borders, to be told that lead still gets
stolen from the roof every now and again.

Shows their God isn't as powerful as He once was.

--
Max Demian

T i m August 22nd 19 04:32 PM

Catalytic Converters

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 14:15:31 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

My neighbour, ex MOT tester and garage owner says only the OEM
cats are worth any money to the trade, while the after market ones
are not worth stealing.

Also there are ceramic and precious metal types and places on the net
you can access (apparently) that lists those vehicles that have the
ones worth having.

Cheers, T i m

Martin Brown[_2_] August 22nd 19 04:36 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:57, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

I cant believe people do that...do they jack the car up?

Standard MO is smallish child underneath with battery powered angle
grinder. There was a spate of it nearby a couple of years back.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Dennis@home August 22nd 19 05:00 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 14:15, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

My neighbour, ex MOT tester and garage owner says only the OEM
cats are worth any money to the trade, while the after market ones
are not worth stealing.

Is that after market dummy cats like they sell on ebay, they aren't even
cats in the first place.

maybe like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200CPI-SP...1/150890183850

"we are unable to guarantee you will pass the MOT if you fit this".

Martin Brown[_2_] August 22nd 19 06:22 PM

Catalytic Converters

Â* Jethro_uk wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 08:19:11 +0000, John wrote:

My daughter had hers stolen back in March and a good friend has just
had
his stolen.
Some locks are available but they assume the toe-rag is going to unbolt
them and not brutally attack the exhaust.

Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to
cause
injury to the scroats?

Was it stolen as a part, or for metal ?

I thought metal theft was a thing of the past, as "they've done
something
about it" ?

And the thieving *******s who nick it (and the people who deal with
them) have "done something about what the authorities had done about it".

In other words: metal theft still goes on, big time, same people (if you
can call them that), same channels.

It is surprising that it still goes on but sadly it does.
Smart water seems to act only as a moderate discouragement.

I was amazed, and distraught, last month to be visiting a tiny church
hidden in the hills of the Borders, to be told that lead still gets
stolen from the roof every now and again.

The insurance co that covers churches insists on proper lead as a
replacement.

I was told very recently by someone in the know that the insurers and
listed building people are now prepared to accept a resilient non-lead
substitute although they didn't say what it was. They figure that the
damage to the building by repeated tearing lead off the valleys and
ingress of water can be mitigated by not having valuable lead on it.

It remains to be seen how well or if this works out.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Brian Gaff August 22nd 19 08:13 PM

Catalytic Converters

20000 v on them when parked?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
2.236...

Vir Campestris August 22nd 19 09:44 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 09:19, John wrote:
Any ideas for making them tamper-proof - ideally with potential to cause
injury to the scroats?

Buy a sports car. No room underneath for even a child.

Or something old enough not to need one!

Andy

Rod Speed August 22nd 19 10:23 PM

Catalytic Converters

Brian Gaff wrote

20000 v on them when parked?

Likely to end with keyed body panels very quickly indeed.
Much more expensive to fix than a new cat converter.

2.236...

Peeler[_4_] August 22nd 19 11:27 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 07:23:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, ****! ...and this thread was Rodent-free, so far! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

alan_m August 28th 19 10:41 PM

Catalytic Converters

On 22/08/2019 11:17, Jethro_uk wrote:

I thought metal theft was a thing of the past, as "they've done something
about it" ?

Metal thieves have always had a market for their ill gotten gains - and
still have. As with most legislation of this type, all it has done is
inconvenience law abiding people.

Often the problem with this type of crime is that the thieves have an
inflated idea of the scrap value. The media will report that thousands
of GBP of cable has been stolen where in the real world this is the
actual cost of replacement where labour and equipment costs far exceed
the cost the item.