Chris O

Default Dead Tumble Drier (Philips AWB 681)

The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Thanks

Chris O

Aden

"Chris O" wrote in message
The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can

test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Thanks

Chris O

Meter on 240V and test for Motor supply voltage rating.

Sparks

"Chris O" wrote in message
The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can

test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Thanks

Chris O

Could it be the drive belt either slipping or broken?

When you took out the motor, was there a belt around it!?

Can you run the drier while watching the motor to see if it is actually
tuning?

Can you turn the drum by hand, or is it stuck?
If it is free, does the motor turn when you manually turn the drum?

Sparks...

Michael Chare

"Chris O" wrote in message
The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Does the drum turn freely when not connected to motor?

Does the motor run OK when connected to power but not drum?

Michael Chare

Bob Minchin

Chris O wrote in message ...
The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Thanks

Chris O

Dead capacitor, starter relay or open circuit start winding. all worth a
look.

Bob

Harry Bloomfield

On 23/02/2004 Chris O a wrote :
The motor on my drier will no longer turn the drum. There is a noise from
the motor as though it is trying to turn. I got the motor out thinking it
could be worn brushes but it appears to be a brushless motor. The windings
show continuity. All bearings move freely. Can anyone advise how I can test
such a motor. Or suggest what other component may have failed

Thanks

Chris O

Just a thought, having seen some of the other comments, could this
brushless motor possibly be a capacitor start type motor with a faulty
capacitor or switch?

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

John Forbes

Harry Bloomfield wrote in message Just a thought, having seen some of the other comments, could this
brushless motor possibly be a capacitor start type motor with a faulty
capacitor or switch?

As it happens I had the back off my ("White Knight") T/D last night -
definitely a capacitor start. I have read somewhere how you test
large capacitors - you use a (non-digital) multimeter set to (I think
but somebody else please correct if I'm wrong) resistance, and you
should see the needle "kick" as the capacitor takes charge from the
multimeter's battery. If the needle doesn't move then you've got a
dead capacitor. Maplin may do suitable replacements but make sure
it's AC mains rated. Alternatively, a good source of spares (for the
capacitor or the whole motor) is one of those shabby looking
backstreet secondhand appliance shops that sells reconditioned kit -
they'll have lots of motors and spares.

John Forbes
Harry Bloomfield

On 24/02/2004 John Forbes opined:-
As it happens I had the back off my ("White Knight") T/D last night -
definitely a capacitor start. I have read somewhere how you test
large capacitors - you use a (non-digital) multimeter set to (I think
but somebody else please correct if I'm wrong) resistance, and you
should see the needle "kick" as the capacitor takes charge from the
multimeter's battery.

You would see a similar 'kick' in a digital meter, assuming the
capacitor value were large enough. All it would prove is that the
capacitor does have some capacitance at a very low voltage. It does not
confirm that the capacitor is not breaking down and shorting at mains
AC voltages.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

Tumble Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 January 10th 04 01:29 PM
Condensing Tumble Driers Mick UK diy 39 October 14th 03 12:18 AM
Drier in Bathroom Fredrick Skoog UK diy 6 September 27th 03 07:40 PM