DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Fixed the leaking boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638366-fixed-leaking-boiler.html)

John Rumm August 1st 19 03:00 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

Regular readers may recall the eventual diagnosis of a leaking main heat
exchanger on my boiler. However that was winter and it was easier to top
it up each day than fix it then!

So I fixed it the other day, and took some photos and made some notes
along the way in case it helps anyone with a similar problem:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lus_624_repair

--
Cheers,

John.

[email protected] August 1st 19 04:25 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

Given that the reconditioned hx is two years older than the original, it will be interesting to see how long the "new" hx lasts.

I would imagine most gas engineers would take the view that is was more "economic" to replace the whole boiler considering it is 7 years old than to replace the hx.

Andrew[_22_] August 1st 19 07:57 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

On 01/08/2019 16:25, wrote:
Given that the reconditioned hx is two years older than the original, it will be interesting to see how long the "new" hx lasts.

I would imagine most gas engineers would take the view that is was more "economic" to replace the whole boiler considering it is 7 years old than to replace the hx.

So the highy-regarded German Vaillant boiler has a French-made
heat exchanger then ?. Not what I would expect.

Graham.[_13_] August 1st 19 08:41 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

John Rumm Wrote in message:
Regular readers may recall the eventual diagnosis of a leaking main heat
exchanger on my boiler. However that was winter and it was easier to top
it up each day than fix it then!

So I fixed it the other day, and took some photos and made some notes
along the way in case it helps anyone with a similar problem:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lus_624_repair

--
Cheers,

John.

Great writeup John, filed away locally.
I have the 832 combination version and some very soft water to go
in it :-)
One question (for now).
Does the right hand side panel give access to anything important?
I have 45mm clearance to the side of the cupboard on the left side
but only 5mm on the right
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John Rumm August 1st 19 10:17 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

On 01/08/2019 16:25, wrote:
Given that the reconditioned hx is two years older than the original,
it will be interesting to see how long the "new" hx lasts.

I would imagine most gas engineers would take the view that is was
more "economic" to replace the whole boiler considering it is 7 years
old than to replace the hx.

If one were paying for labour as well, perhaps. But since that was
"free" it was £129 for the HX vs ~£900 for the boiler.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

John Rumm August 1st 19 10:30 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

On 01/08/2019 20:43, Graham. wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
Regular readers may recall the eventual diagnosis of a leaking main heat
exchanger on my boiler. However that was winter and it was easier to top
it up each day than fix it then!

So I fixed it the other day, and took some photos and made some notes
along the way in case it helps anyone with a similar problem:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...lus_624_repair

Great writeup John, filed away locally.
I have the 832 combination version and some very soft water to go
in it :-)
One question (for now).
Does the right hand side panel give access to anything important?

I think the short answer is "no"...

I have 45mm clearance to the side of the cupboard on the left side
but only 5mm on the right

There is nothing much of interest on the right - most of it is taken up
by the expansion vessel, and the outlet of the pump and condensate drain
is easy enough to get at from the front.

(I stuck in a picture of an 824 about half way down - so you can see the
layout of those - i.e. basically the same with the addition of a PHE,
and diversion valve).

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm August 1st 19 10:39 PM

Fixed the leaking boiler

On 01/08/2019 19:57, Andrew wrote:
On 01/08/2019 16:25, wrote:
Given that the reconditioned hx is two years older than the original,
it will be interesting to see how long the "new" hx lasts.

I would imagine most gas engineers would take the view that is was
more "economic" to replace the whole boiler considering it is 7 years
old than to replace the hx.

So the highy-regarded German Vaillant boiler has a French-made
heat exchanger then ?. Not what I would expect.

I have seen suggestions that a large slice of European condensers use
them - presumably since they were early to market with a working design
that did not require crufted on secondary condensing HEs like you find
in a Biasi of similar vintage.

(Not sure if they are truly French any more either - ISTR they were
bought out at some point in 2010?)

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |

Brian Gaff August 2nd 19 08:31 AM

Fixed the leaking boiler

Does that not depend on the cause of the leak in the first place though?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff August 2nd 19 08:33 AM

Fixed the leaking boiler

I'd jolly well expect a boiler to last more than 7 years personally. I'm not
sure why we used a system of piping hot water around houses in the 21st
Century when heat pumps have been around for years.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Dennis@home August 2nd 19 10:06 AM

Fixed the leaking boiler

On 02/08/2019 08:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd jolly well expect a boiler to last more than 7 years personally. I'm not
sure why we used a system of piping hot water around houses in the 21st
Century when heat pumps have been around for years.
Brian

Not only that but the one I have came with a 10 year warranty so the
repair would be free.