DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What's this fibrous stuff? (pic) (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638095-whats-fibrous-stuff-pic.html)

R D S[_2_] July 26th 19 03:20 PM

What's this fibrous stuff? (pic)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

R D S[_2_] July 26th 19 04:54 PM

What's this fibrous stuff? (pic)

On 26/07/2019 16:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

If it's coming in from outside, it surely can only get where it is on
the breeze. My first thought is thistledown. Imagine this a bit
crumpled up https://tinyurl.com/y52vxwc7 . Do you have thistles
growing near you, on a patch of waste ground for example? Or do you
see thistledown blowing in the breeze?

It isn't thistledown, it looks like small strap to start off with but
separates into finer strands at the slightest provocation.

Failing that, then it must be asbestos! Evacuate! Evacuate!

This is my concern, that it's something nasty. I'm hoping it's wafted
out of a skip or something, and a one off.

My office is upstairs on a main road, I was looking out one day and a
skip wagon went past with a dead cow in it!

GB July 26th 19 07:35 PM

On 26/07/2019 16:54, R D S wrote:
On 26/07/2019 16:37, Chris Hogg wrote:

If it's coming in from outside, it surely can only get where it is on
the breeze. My first thought is thistledown. Imagine this a bit
crumpled up https://tinyurl.com/y52vxwc7 . Do you have thistles
growing near you, on a patch of waste ground for example? Or do you
see thistledown blowing in the breeze?

It isn't thistledown, it looks like small strap to start off with but
separates into finer strands at the slightest provocation.

I wonder whether it is indeed some plastic strapping that's been left in
the sun?

[email protected] July 26th 19 09:01 PM

On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:20:14 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

glass fibres, not in mat form. Used to reinforce plastics. Or plastic fibres to reinforce concrete. With no scale indicated it could of course be who knows what else. Doesn't look like asbestos.

NT

newshound July 27th 19 12:48 PM

On 26/07/2019 21:01, wrote:
On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:20:14 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

glass fibres, not in mat form. Used to reinforce plastics. Or plastic fibres to reinforce concrete. With no scale indicated it could of course be who knows what else. Doesn't look like asbestos.

NT

+1 for not asbestos, next thing would be a flame test. If it catches
fire or melts easily that's +1000 for not asbestos.

ARW July 28th 19 06:43 PM

On 26/07/2019 21:01, wrote:
On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:20:14 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

glass fibres, not in mat form. Used to reinforce plastics. Or plastic fibres to reinforce concrete. With no scale indicated it could of course be who knows what else. Doesn't look like asbestos.

The first thing you are taught on an asbestos awareness course is that
it is impossible to tell if it as asbestos just by looking at it.

--
Adam

newshound July 28th 19 10:36 PM

On 28/07/2019 18:43, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:01, wrote:
On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:20:14 UTC+1, R D SĀ* wrote:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

glass fibres, not in mat form. Used to reinforce plastics. Or plastic
fibres to reinforce concrete. With no scale indicated it could of
course be who knows what else. Doesn't look like asbestos.

The first thing you are taught on an asbestos awareness course is that
it is impossible to tell if it as asbestos just by looking at it.

With the naked eye. You can quickly identify many things with a suitable
microscope. The glass fibres in "modern" cement/fibre board are more
regular than asbestos, for example. IIRC the usual procedure to confirm
asbestos involves an optical microscope with polarisers.

[email protected] July 28th 19 11:56 PM

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 18:43:08 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
On 26/07/2019 21:01, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 26 July 2019 15:20:14 UTC+1, R D S wrote:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-J...lArOViXINqsHNN

What does that look like?

FWIW it seems to be collecting in a rattan blind so presumably coming in
from outside.

glass fibres, not in mat form. Used to reinforce plastics. Or plastic fibres to reinforce concrete. With no scale indicated it could of course be who knows what else. Doesn't look like asbestos.

The first thing you are taught on an asbestos awareness course is that
it is impossible to tell if it as asbestos just by looking at it.

A lot of things can be identified or excluded from being asbestos by looking at them.

NT