Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air pressure braking of trains, etc.

What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about knocked up?

"Knocker-upper" used to be a job.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 17:15, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/07/2019 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about knocked up?

"Knocker-upper" used to be a job.

A sagger-maker's bottom-knocker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer" wrote
in message ...
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,
train stations instead of railway stations and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Unbelievable: It's 03:36 am in Australia ...and the senile Ozzie cretin has been trolling for OVER AN HOUR, ALREADY! LOL

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 03:36:07 +1000, blatha, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 17:15, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/07/2019 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about knocked up?

"Knocker-upper" used to be a job.

As did "saggar maker's bottom knocker."

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/07/2019 17:15, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/07/2019 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about knocked up?

"Knocker-upper" used to be a job.

A sagger-maker's bottom-knocker?

saggar

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , blatha
writes

wrote in message ...
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

There's a difference. When flying was new, a port was where ships sailed
in and out of - and a place of entry and exit to/from the country.
Otherwise it was usually a 'harbour'. By analogy, an 'airport' is
usually large and international - and an 'airfield' isn't. However, a
word rarely used in modern parlance is 'aerodrome'.

train stations instead of railway stations

'Train station' drives me mad. However, we seem to accept 'bus station'
(a place where buses stand still for longish periods). You could argue
that rails ALWAYS stand still, no matter where they are.

and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

It's better than 'alright' (as a single word). It's also international.

Don't get me going about people who now habitually start sentences with
"So" instead of "Well".
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2019 11:15, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , blatha
writes

wrote in message ...
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

There's a difference. When flying was new, a port was where ships sailed
in and out of - and a place of entry and exit to/from the country.
Otherwise it was usually a 'harbour'. By analogy, an 'airport' is
usually large and international - and an 'airfield' isn't. However, a
word rarely used in modern parlance is 'aerodrome'.

Indeed. Blatha is as usual long on bla short on facts.
Aerodrome means a runway or place for aircraft. It is sunonmous with
airfield.

An airport is rather different as you point out.

train stations instead of railway stations

'Train station' drives me mad. However, we seem to accept 'bus station'
(a place where buses stand still for longish periods). You could argue
that rails ALWAYS stand still, no matter where they are.

Why? a station is a place where things are to be found. As in work
staion, play station.

"station (n.)

late 13c., "place which one normally occupies," from Old French stacion,
estacion "site, location; station of the Cross; stop, standstill," from
Latin stationem (nominative statio) "a standing, standing firm; a post,
job, position; military post; a watch, guard, sentinel; anchorage, port"
(related to stare "to stand"), from PIE *steti-, suffixed form of root
*sta- "to stand, make or be firm."

Meaning "each of a number of holy places visited in succession by
pilgrims" is from late 14c., as in Station of the Cross (1550s). Meaning
"fixed uniform distance in surveying" is from 1570s. Sense of "status,
rank" is from c. 1600. Meaning "military post" in English is from c.
1600. The meaning "place where people are stationed for some special
purpose" (as in polling station) is first recorded 1823. Radio station
is from 1912; station break, pause in broadcasting to give the local
station a chance to identify itself, is from 1942.

The meaning "regular stopping place" is first recorded 1797, in
reference to coach routes; applied to railroads 1830. Station-master is
from 1836. Station wagon in the automobile sense is first recorded 1929,
from earlier use for a horse-drawn conveyance that took passengers to
and from railroad stations (1894). Station house "police station" is
attested from 1836. "

and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

It's better than 'alright' (as a single word). It's also international.

Don't get me going about people who now habitually start sentences with
"So" instead of "Well".

So and so said such and such
Until stopped by the bell.
He asked me what I thought of that...
"I just said : "Well, well, well!"

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
[...]

In the days when people started flying an airfield was just that - a field
where planes took off and landed. I pass a still active one just off the
A303's eastern end. (Popham Airfield)

and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

It's better than 'alright' (as a single word). It's also international.

Don't get me going about people who now habitually start sentences with
"So" instead of "Well".

So and so said such and such
Until stopped by the bell.
He asked me what I thought of that...
"I just said : "Well, well, well!"

3 holes in the ground.

from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 18:36, blatha wrote:

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

I agree with the 'living languages change' portion but

there is a BiG difference between airstrips, airfields and air ports.

I can't remember it verbatim (56 now, 14 at the time I was taught this
in the ATC) but they defined them as

Aistrip :-flat(ish) strip of ground aeroplanes could land and take of
from.

Airfield :-as above but spread over a wider area with places to store
planes, fuel, passengers etc

Airport:- as above but with customs facilities ('port facilities in
fact' ; always remember that line)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/07/2019 17:15, Max Demian wrote:
On 18/07/2019 16:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
What about knocked up?

"Knocker-upper" used to be a job.

A sagger-maker's bottom-knocker?

saggar

Indeed. My typing seems to be getting worse and worse these days and I'm
not catching all the mistakes as I used to.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 19/07/2019 11:15, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , blatha
writes

train stations instead of railway stations

'Train station' drives me mad. However, we seem to accept 'bus
station' (a place where buses stand still for longish periods). You
could argue that rails ALWAYS stand still, no matter where they are.

Why? a station is a place where things are to be found. As in work
staion, play station.

Which is exactly the point was making. "Station" is from yer Latin,
innit - from memory Sto Stare Stedi Statum (or sumfink like that - it's
been over 60 years).

Nevertheless, I hate 'train station'. It appears that even the Americans
sometimes say 'railway station'.
https://1clickurls.com/ezZBpGs

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
What is the difference in meaning between parked and parked up?

Listen and listen up?

Active and proactive? (I knew about active and reactive)

Antennae and antennas?

Are these crass Americans taken up by the literacy-challenged
of this country?

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

There's a difference. When flying was new, a port was where ships sailed
in and out of - and a place of entry and exit to/from the country.
Otherwise it was usually a 'harbour'. By analogy, an 'airport' is usually
large and international - and an 'airfield' isn't. However, a word rarely
used in modern parlance is 'aerodrome'.

I intended to use the world aerodrome instead of airfield.
Airfield did make some sense before they changed to runways.

But there isnt much logic with some words, most
obviously with flammable and inflammable.

train stations instead of railway stations

'Train station' drives me mad. However, we seem to accept 'bus station' (a
place where buses stand still for longish periods). You could argue that
rails ALWAYS stand still, no matter where they are.

and even get
really depraved and use words like OK at times too.

It's better than 'alright' (as a single word). It's also international.

Don't get me going about people who now habitually start sentences with
"So" instead of "Well".

Why is one any worse than the other ?

You basically dont like change.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 03:31:24 +1000, blatha, better known as cantankerous

I intended to use the world aerodrome instead of airfield.

Who gives a **** what you intend or don't intend, you abnormal trolling
senile pest? BTW, 03:31 am in Australia? LOL And you've been up and trolling
for OVER AN HOUR already! LMAO

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , blatha
writes

You basically dont like change.

You never spoke five (or is it really six?) truer words.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 18/07/2019 18:36, blatha wrote:

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

I mangled that, meant to say aerodrome instead of airfield.

I agree with the 'living languages change' portion but

there is a BiG difference between airstrips, airfields and air ports.

I can't remember it verbatim (56 now, 14 at the time I was taught this
in the ATC) but they defined them as

Aistrip :-flat(ish) strip of ground aeroplanes could land and take of
from.

Airfield :-as above but spread over a wider area with places to store
planes, fuel, passengers etc

Airport:- as above but with customs facilities ('port facilities in fact'
; always remember that line)

That was never common usage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 08:58:10 +1000, blatha, better known as cantankerous

I mangled that, meant to say aerodrome instead of airfield.

Are you sure, senile idiot? Senilely sure? BG

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2019 21:18, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , blatha
writes

You basically dont like change.

You never spoke five (or is it really six?) truer words.

You never struck me as a conservative.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/07/2019 23:58, blatha wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
On 18/07/2019 18:36, blatha wrote:

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

I mangled that, meant to say aerodrome instead of airfield.

I agree with the 'living languages change' portion but

there is aÂ* BiG difference between airstrips, airfields and air ports.

I can't remember it verbatim (56 now, 14 at the time I was taught this
in the ATC) but they defined them as

Aistrip :-flat(ish) strip of ground aeroplanes could land and take of
from.

Airfield :-as above but spread over a wider area with places to store
planes, fuel, passengers etc

Â*Airport:- as above but with customs facilities ('port facilities in
fact' ; always remember that line)

That was never common usage.

Yes it was, troll.

*plonk*

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
On 18/07/2019 18:36, blatha wrote:

Living languages change over time. Thats why even
you lot now talk about airports instead of airfields,

I mangled that, meant to say aerodrome instead of airfield.

I agree with the 'living languages change' portion but

there is aÂ* BiG difference between airstrips, airfields and air ports.

I can't remember it verbatim (56 now, 14 at the time I was taught this
in the ATC) but they defined them as

Aistrip :-flat(ish) strip of ground aeroplanes could land and take of
from.

Airfield :-as above but spread over a wider area with places to store
planes, fuel, passengers etc

Â*Airport:- as above but with customs facilities ('port facilities in
fact' ; always remember that line)

That was never common usage.

I never said it was "common usage" just that that is (paraphrased)
what I was taught.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"soup" wrote in message
[...]

Sure, but we were discussing common usage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 06:19:13 +1000, blatha, better known as cantankerous

YOU were just spreading more of your troll****, senile troll!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
"MID: .com"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
[...]

I learnt to fly in an airfield, or grass strip as they are also known as. Very handy when there was a strong cross wind as one could just fly into the wind and across the usual landing strip

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:31:40 AM UTC+1, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , blatha
writes

wrote in message ...
[...]

In Northern Ireland police stations are commonly called police barracks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2019 11:25, wrote:

In Northern Ireland police stations are commonly called police barracks

And in mainland Brit, plod pods

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
[...]

could that be that some police live there?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Our Trouble With Trains jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 May 18th 15 04:53 PM
More incompetence All trains halted in south Wales by power failure. alexander.keys1[_3_] UK diy 3 March 22nd 11 11:03 PM
Road trains [email protected] Metalworking 12 March 18th 10 08:48 AM
Trains Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 October 12th 08 01:58 AM
Bathtub, surround quandry...acrylic, fiberglass, Swanstone, Veritek, etc.etc.etc. [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 13th 07 08:32 AM