DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   ILEABC (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/637796-ileabc.html)

[email protected] July 17th 19 12:09 PM

ILEABC

Hi All,

Back in the olden days (70s, if not 60s).

I THINK The Inner London Education Authority used to
€śTransmit€ť Its own range of programmes to (at least some) London Schools.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so provide more details?
Were the €śtransmissions€ť over leased GPO lines?

Of perhaps Ive remembered wrong, and the programmes
Were broadcast on Aunty Beeb.

[email protected] July 17th 19 12:47 PM

ILEABC

On Wednesday, 17 July 2019 12:09:15 UTC+1, wrote:
I THINK The Inner London Education Authority used to
€śTransmit€ť Its own range of programmes to (at least some) London Schools.

They did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_...al_functi ons

The ILEA had its own schools broadcasting service, the Educational Television Service, based in the former Tennyson Secondary School, Thackeray Road, SW8.[2] The television centre had two functional television studios, a training studio, a master control and sound and vision mixing suites.[3] At one stage this was believed to be the largest closed circuit television system in the world. The first transmission took place on 16 September 1969 and the Television Service ran until 1977.[4] When the Post Office, whose cabling was used for the distribution, wanted to withdraw from its contract in the late 1970s, the programming was transferred to VHS tapes[5] and the CCTV network closed down.[6]

Owain

Dave Plowman (News) July 17th 19 02:37 PM

ILEABC

In article ,
wrote:
Hi All,

Back in the olden days (70s, if not 60s).

I THINK The Inner London Education Authority used to ”Transmit• It‘s own
range of programmes to (at least some) London Schools.

Can anyone confirm this? And if so provide more details?
Were the ”transmissions• over leased GPO lines?

Of perhaps I‘ve remembered wrong, and the programmes
Were broadcast on Aunty Beeb.

Yes - they had studios in Battersea. Worked there a few times. An old
school, now housing. Not sure about how they were 'transmitted'. though.

--
*War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Brian Gaff July 17th 19 04:25 PM

ILEABC

I don't recall any myself, but that does not of course mean they never
existed. I know Redefussion had some schools on its wired network.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Hi All,

Back in the olden days (70s, if not 60s).

I THINK The Inner London Education Authority used to
"Transmit" It's own range of programmes to (at least some) London Schools.

[email protected] July 17th 19 10:00 PM

ILEABC

Thanks all