Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default That's my Folkboat!

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 22:16:32 +0100, TimW wrote:

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.

So that's for real Tim, she was yours?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.

So that's for real Tim, she was yours?

Cheers, T i m

A 1954 german built folkboat that I tidied up and sailed for a couple of
seasons. She had sat on her trailer flaking paint for a few years
recently so I put her up for sale on ebay. Towed away to London a few
weeks ago after a few brief enquiries about if it was possible to put
the mast up without a crane. The trailer was a one off, so unmistakeable.

I don't suppose she will be sailed again now, which is a shame but you
can't be sentimental. Nobody wants small yachts these days, it's all
ensuite cabins and standing headroom.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TimW
writes
On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.
TW

I'm not a boatspotter and I've not knowingly seen a Folkboat for years,
but when I was young, they were always pointed out as being great boats.

I looked up the original advert, and it seems a terrible waste if that
is the end of her. I hope not. People don't know what they are missing
if they never encounter small seagoing yachts.

I listened to the Today Programme's interviews this morning regarding
Extinction Rebellion. The person representing them certainly gave the
impression that they, at the core, are not people who should be allowed
to promote their agenda to young people without serious questions being
asked of them.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:32:33 +0100, Bill wrote:

I listened to the Today Programme's interviews this morning regarding
Extinction Rebellion. The person representing them certainly gave the
impression that they, at the core, are not people who should be allowed
to promote their agenda to young people without serious questions being
asked of them.

Today went down the ****ter more than 20 years ago, it's sad to say.

Those morons from ER are just a bunch of anarchists AFAICS.

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.

So that's for real Tim, she was yours?

A 1954 german built folkboat that I tidied up and sailed for a couple of
seasons.

Nice. Dad had a Sunspot 15(16?) a Leisure 17 and then a 21 (I think)
so I get the appeal.

She had sat on her trailer flaking paint for a few years
recently so I put her up for sale on ebay. Towed away to London a few
weeks ago after a few brief enquiries about if it was possible to put
the mast up without a crane. The trailer was a one off, so unmistakeable.

Aha.

I don't suppose she will be sailed again now, which is a shame but you
can't be sentimental.

Quite. I think that about what (looks to be) perfectly good cars they
destroy on the likes of Top Gear.

Nobody wants small yachts these days, it's all
ensuite cabins and standing headroom.

I'd love a small yacht, double berth, small galley, outboard / sail,
something we could use and live on for a week on the Broads etc.

Probably bilge keel for easie(r) trailering. Just can't justify a
mooring or storage and don't have the room at home. ;-(

Dad kept the Sunspot in the garage. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
Bought by a mysterious buyer who didn't come to look. Now see where she is!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48987193

Those diyers will be amused.

So that's for real Tim, she was yours?

A 1954 german built folkboat that I tidied up and sailed for a couple of
seasons.

Nice. Dad had a Sunspot 15(16?) a Leisure 17 and then a 21 (I think)
so I get the appeal.

She had sat on her trailer flaking paint for a few years
recently so I put her up for sale on ebay. Towed away to London a few
weeks ago after a few brief enquiries about if it was possible to put
the mast up without a crane. The trailer was a one off, so unmistakeable.

Aha.

I don't suppose she will be sailed again now

Did you mention it to a journalist or is appearing on the BBC news pages
and losing a little bit of the anonymity of Usenet an unexpected surprise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-49017092

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2019 22:09, TimW wrote:
[...]

yes, i did have a call from the BBC yesterday. I heard nothing more,
honestly thought it wasn't that newsworthy. Bang goes my anonymity here.
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2019 14:58, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:32:33 +0100, Bill wrote:

I listened to the Today Programme's interviews this morning regarding
Extinction Rebellion. The person representing them certainly gave the
impression that they, at the core, are not people who should be allowed
to promote their agenda to young people without serious questions being
asked of them.

Today went down the ****ter more than 20 years ago, it's sad to say.

Those morons from ER are just a bunch of anarchists AFAICS.

+1 to both. Brian Redhead would be turning in his grave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jul 2019 07:10:07 GMT, Marland
wrote:

snip

Did you mention it to a journalist or is appearing on the BBC news pages
and losing a little bit of the anonymity of Usenet an unexpected surprise.

snip link

Well, it is (lost) now! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/07/2019 13:08, T i m wrote:
On 18 Jul 2019 07:10:07 GMT, Marland
wrote:

snip

Did you mention it to a journalist or is appearing on the BBC news pages
and losing a little bit of the anonymity of Usenet an unexpected surprise.

snip link

Well, it is (lost) now! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I am on local radio this afternoon. LOL!
A bit surprised at the interest.
TW