Old July 13th 19, 04:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doorbell?

We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I need
an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland 764
transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this thing
is DC or AC?

Mike

Old July 13th 19, 05:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I need
an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland 764
transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this thing
is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Ch...ages/D117.aspx

--
Adam
Old July 13th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Ch...ages/D117.aspx

Looking at the OP, could it just be a simple matter of replacing
or re-attaching the return spring?

ie, the solenoid will pull in to hit one of the chimes, but without
the return spring it will not then rebound to hit the other.

Old July 13th 19, 05:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

+1

.....a bit of corrosion adds to the friction and can defeat the spring - but
not the solenoid

Old July 13th 19, 05:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Ch...ages/D117.aspx

Looking at the OP, could it just be a simple matter of replacing
or re-attaching the return spring?

ie, the solenoid will pull in to hit one of the chimes, but without
the return spring it will not then rebound to hit the other.

+1

BTDT and no, its just very old and worn out. Its supposed to Ding/Dong
when the front door push is pressed and Dong/Ding when the back one is
pressed but no amount of freeing up have improved the Ding!

Mike
Old July 13th 19, 05:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

I asked because reading feedback on Amazon some complain the bell they
bought doesn't work well and answers to questions suggested its because
its wrong AC/DC.

Also I'm struggling to find a simple bell to replace the current chime
that is 12v, most seem to be 8v.

Mike

Old July 13th 19, 06:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:48:18 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

I asked because reading feedback on Amazon some complain the bell they
bought doesn't work well and answers to questions suggested its because
its wrong AC/DC.

Also I'm struggling to find a simple bell to replace the current chime
that is 12v, most seem to be 8v.

Mike

In a previous residence, there was a Friedland ding-dong bell, with a
transformer in the loft that had two secondary taps with the bell
connected across the lower voltage, although I can't remember what the
actual voltages were now. As the bell wasn't very loud, I reconnected
it across the higher voltage tap, which improved things considerably
and didn't fuse anything.

I took the view that the current flow was momentary, so was unlikely
to cause overheating or blow a fuse on the input side of the tranny,
for what was a modest increase in voltage. It seems I was right, as it
stayed like that for nearly twenty years and for all I know still is.

--

Chris
Old July 13th 19, 06:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 July 2019 17:48:21 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
Also I'm struggling to find a simple bell to replace the current chime
that is 12v, most seem to be 8v.

They'll be okay, they're only energised for a fraction of a second.

Burglar alarm sounders run on 12 volts (DC, but AC/DC bells are available) if you really want a 12 volt.

Owain

Old July 13th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
[...]

Be very grateful you still have the dong.