Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 06:50:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Gunna be hilarious when the new one does the same thing.

What a blithering idiot! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doorbell?

On 13/07/2019 17:34, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 17:30:08 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie most
door bells work with both.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Ch...ages/D117.aspx

Looking at the OP, could it just be a simple matter of replacing
or re-attaching the return spring?

ie, the solenoid will pull in to hit one of the chimes, but without
the return spring it will not then rebound to hit the other.

+1

It probably has a bug stuck in the slidy bit. Better call in
Grace Hopper to investigate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 19:12, GB wrote:
On 13/07/2019 17:42, DerbyBorn wrote:

+1

.....a bit of corrosion adds to the friction and can defeat the spring
- but
not the solenoid

I was thinking that I'd give it a drop of light oil.

Silicone spray perhaps, or graphite powder lock stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Computer wrote:

On 13/07/2019 17:17, ARW wrote:
On 13/07/2019 16:43, Muddymike wrote:
We have an ancient Freidland door chime which Dongs but no longer
Dings:-) Ive been looking for a replacement but cant work out if I
need an AC or DC bell unit to continue using the current 12v
Freidland
764 transformer.

So far Google hasn't been very helpful, do any of you know if this
thing is DC or AC?

Its DC when you use batteries and AC when you use a transformer. ie
most
door bells work with both.

https://www.friedland.co.uk/en-GB/Ch...ages/D117.aspx

Looking at the OP, could it just be a simple matter of replacing
or re-attaching the return spring?

ie, the solenoid will pull in to hit one of the chimes, but without
the return spring it will not then rebound to hit the other.

+1

BTDT and no, its just very old and worn out. Its supposed to Ding/Dong
when the front door push is pressed and Dong/Ding when the back one is
pressed but no amount of freeing up have improved the Ding!

Mike

Be very grateful you still have the dong.

Get a musical one to play 'My ding-a-ling' ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/07/2019 14:04, Muddymike wrote:
On 14/07/2019 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
You don't need a newÂ* bell just a clean out and a new spring. The bell
works
simply like a solenoid.
The spring brings the plunger back and it overshoots and hits the dong
then
goes back to the middle again.

Ive taken it down and cleaned it thoroughly. Both springs seem fine,
both gongs sound nicely when struck with the screwdriver handle yet
still it only Dongs so Ive wired both door pushes to the Dong end so we
at least hear something whichever door push is pushed.

Now off to order a 12v replacement as I'm fed up with fiddling with it!

Ive saved a picture of the innards here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwzjpno6fu..._4404.jpg?dl=0

or

https://tinyurl.com/y4f3dsfb

Mike

It looks like mine, but a bit older, but I can only
see three wires connected to the solenoid.

I have four, two from the bell transformer and two from
the doorbell. You seem to have a lot of wires that
are not connected.

Also, 'Cleaning Instruction' (visible in photo) says
use lighter fluid and shake gently to free slider, ..
Caution - don't shake violently'

Presumably ok to smoke while doing this ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
On 14/07/2019 08:34, Brian Gaff wrote:
You don't need a new bell just a clean out and a new spring. The bell works
simply like a solenoid.
The spring brings the plunger back and it overshoots and hits the dong then
goes back to the middle again.

Ive taken it down and cleaned it thoroughly. Both springs seem fine,
both gongs sound nicely when struck with the screwdriver handle yet
still it only Dongs so Ive wired both door pushes to the Dong end so we
at least hear something whichever door push is pushed.

Now off to order a 12v replacement as I'm fed up with fiddling with it!

Ive saved a picture of the innards here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwzjpno6fu..._4404.jpg?dl=0

or

https://tinyurl.com/y4f3dsfb

Mike

Assuming the ding when you press the button and the dong when you release,
if no ding are you sure it is getting the full 12v (or whatever) Check all
connections are clean and tight, and the fuse holder too if it has one.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

I like the cleaning instructions on the sticker.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 15/07/2019 19:43, ARW wrote:

I like the cleaning instructions on the sticker.

I'd follow that. I earlier suggested oiling it, but using some mild
solvent like lighter fluid to remove any gunk seems a better idea.

The most likely explanation for the issue with this bell is simply that
the grease or whatever they put inside has congealed over the 50-odd
years that it looks like it's been in use. A bit of TLC would probably
see it last another 50.