Old July 13th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recording from Panasonic smart TV

My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these
days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They
are struggling with it.

I don't know what they had before, but whatever it was, they had it
fronted by a BT PVR, connected via a SCART cable. The new TV doesn't
have a SCART socket, and the chap who brought it (from the company
who's name sounds like a popular Indian food) said they couldn't use
the BT box any more. But they were used to using that box, especially
for making recordings, and the aforementioned chap said all they
needed was a memory stick, which they bought, which they told me
didn't work.

I reconnected the BT box via the Component (red/white/yellow) sockets
and cable (which is what the installer chap should have done), and it
all worked perfectly OK, except that they must have forgotten how they
used it before, because they kept getting muddled (he was 90 last
week). So I went back to the memory stick, and no, it didn't work. The
message that came up was along the lines that it was not compatible,
or some such, and that it needed an HDD. Another black mark to Mr
Indian food for suggesting the stick.

OK, so I dug out an old HDD, complete with caddy and power supply,
from my computer-bits box and fitted that up for them. Worked a treat.
They could now put away the BT box and just use the record function of
the TV when they wanted to record a programme.

Or so I thought. They now find that when the TV is recording a
programme, they cannot watch anything other than that programme at the
same time, which is rather limiting, to put it mildly. Looking in the
e-manual, it says 'no other channel can be selected while timer
recording is in progress'. My interpretation of that is that means
they can't record one programme while watching another, even on the
same MUX.

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

--

Chris

Old July 13th 19, 04:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these
days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They
are struggling with it.

I don't know what they had before, but whatever it was, they had it
fronted by a BT PVR, connected via a SCART cable. The new TV doesn't
have a SCART socket,

Pretty sure SCART to HDMI is trivial
https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/scart-t...neumtfyxgy89a2

and the chap who brought it (from the company
who's name sounds like a popular Indian food) said they couldn't use
the BT box any more. But they were used to using that box, especially
for making recordings, and the aforementioned chap said all they
needed was a memory stick, which they bought, which they told me
didn't work.

I reconnected the BT box via the Component (red/white/yellow) sockets
and cable (which is what the installer chap should have done), and it
all worked perfectly OK, except that they must have forgotten how they
used it before, because they kept getting muddled (he was 90 last
week). So I went back to the memory stick, and no, it didn't work. The
message that came up was along the lines that it was not compatible,
or some such, and that it needed an HDD. Another black mark to Mr
Indian food for suggesting the stick.

And sayiung they coukldnt use the box direct with a converter cable

OK, so I dug out an old HDD, complete with caddy and power supply,
from my computer-bits box and fitted that up for them. Worked a treat.
They could now put away the BT box and just use the record function of
the TV when they wanted to record a programme.

Or so I thought. They now find that when the TV is recording a
programme, they cannot watch anything other than that programme at the
same time, which is rather limiting, to put it mildly. Looking in the
e-manual, it says 'no other channel can be selected while timer
recording is in progress'. My interpretation of that is that means
they can't record one programme while watching another, even on the
same MUX.

Sounds right

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

Nope. Go back to the old box and get an HDMI cable

Old July 13th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
[snip]

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

The smart refers to its ability to connect to the internet, run apps,
and stream media. Not to the number of tuners it may have.
Old July 13th 19, 04:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 16:10, mm0fmf wrote:
On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
[snip]

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

The smart refers to its ability to connect to the internet, run apps,
and stream media. Not to the number of tuners it may have.

Or even the CPU grunt to acually handle two streams at once.

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
Old July 13th 19, 04:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these
days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They
are struggling with it.

I don't know what they had before, but whatever it was, they had it

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

Our LG supposedly smart TV is the same. It wont even let us watch
something via the satellite channels whilst recording from a terrestrial
channel or visa versa!

Mike

Old July 13th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the replies. It looks as though they're stuffed: either
they put up with just the facility for recording something when
they're out, for example, or if they want to watch it a second time,
or alternatively going back to the BT PVR and getting used to using it
again.

--

Chris
Old July 13th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 16:10, mm0fmf wrote:
On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:
[snip]

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

The smart refers to its ability to connect to the internet, run apps,
and stream media. Not to the number of tuners it may have.

My new Samsung only has one tuner. Which is why I hang on to the Humax
which has two more. I admit I do keep a (fast) memory stick in the TV
too, because you can only set up or view Humax output by having that
switched on and connected via HDMI. So if you want to go to bed (or the
door rings) it is relatively quick to record what you have been watching.

With catch-up streaming options the Humax is less necessary (although
useful for skipping the adverts).

The "tech" is providing some benefits to old farts as well as these
frustrations, though. I look forward to the days when the kids can
programme appointments into my Google Calendar, and make the
phone/tablet bleep at me in good time to remind me.
Old July 13th 19, 07:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

It would need an additional tuner, for each additional channel they
wanted to record. Mine has sat and terrestrial tuners, but I have not
checked if it can record sat, whilst watching terrestrial - I suspect I
cannot. It can record to a stick, but a stick is not as useful as an
HDD, so I use a small USB powered HDD. I think the restriction is one
of being able to pause and replay live TV.
Old July 13th 19, 09:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 19:26, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Hogg expressed precisely :
Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more? Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

It would need an additional tuner, for each additional channel they
wanted to record.

wrong
no more than 5 multiplexes are receivable so 5 tuners tops

Mine has sat and terrestrial tuners, but I have not
checked if it can record sat, whilst watching terrestrial - I suspect I
cannot. It can record to a stick, but a stick is not as useful as an
HDD, so I use a small USB powered HDD. I think the restriction is one of
being able to pause and replay live TV.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly
Old July 13th 19, 10:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2019 15:44, Chris Hogg wrote:

My elderly neighbours have recently bought a new TV. Inevitably these
days, I suppose, it was 'smart'. It's a Panasonic TX-40FS500B. They
are struggling with it.

week). So I went back to the memory stick, and no, it didn't work. The
message that came up was along the lines that it was not compatible,
or some such, and that it needed an HDD. Another black mark to Mr
Indian food for suggesting the stick.

Many USB flash drives are too slow for real time recording - an in
particular can suffer unexpected delays as they are forced to trim and
overwrite flash pages.

OK, so I dug out an old HDD, complete with caddy and power supply,
from my computer-bits box and fitted that up for them. Worked a treat.
They could now put away the BT box and just use the record function of
the TV when they wanted to record a programme.

Or so I thought. They now find that when the TV is recording a
programme, they cannot watch anything other than that programme at the
same time, which is rather limiting, to put it mildly. Looking in the
e-manual, it says 'no other channel can be selected while timer
recording is in progress'. My interpretation of that is that means
they can't record one programme while watching another, even on the
same MUX.

This seems fairly common for TVs. Its best to think of the ability to
connect a drive as a way of pausing live TV and other trick play, rather
than a full blown recorder.

Is that really the case? Is this 'smart' TV really so stupid that it
can't do what PVR's have been able to do for a decade or more?

PVRs normally have at least two tuners.

Or have
I misunderstood, and is there a way to record one programme using an
external HDD while watching another, on this Panny TV?

Probably not.

A modern PVR or better still a network enabled tuner are better ways to
go - although may not meet the ease of use requirements for the owners.

--
Cheers,

John.