DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Red LED on Parkside SDS (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/637601-red-led-parkside-sds.html)

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 12th 19 08:27 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

I have had a mains Parkside BMH 1100 SDS drill for a few years, its
been 100% reliable, soon after getting it (after the instruction were
lost) a red LED lit up leaving me guessing as to what it was for..

It has a usefull green LED for when it has power, then a red one. The
red one has rectangular solid line box symbol, followed by a second
rectangular box symbol made up of dots. It is double insulated and uses
a two core flex, but the symbol next to the red LED is not a double
insulated symbol. Anyone know what the red LED indicates, it comes on
as soon as power is applied to the drill?

Steve Walker[_5_] July 12th 19 08:40 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

On 12/07/2019 20:27, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have had a mains Parkside BMH 1100 SDS drill for a few years, its been
100% reliable, soon after getting it (after the instruction were lost) a
red LED lit up leaving me guessing as to what it was for..

It has a usefull green LED for when it has power, then a red one. The
red one has rectangular solid line box symbol, followed by a second
rectangular box symbol made up of dots. It is double insulated and uses
a two core flex, but the symbol next to the red LED is not a double
insulated symbol. Anyone know what the red LED indicates, it comes on as
soon as power is applied to the drill?

A quick google brings up the manual and the red LED is warning of
"Carbon Brush Wear."

SteveW

Graham.[_13_] July 12th 19 08:41 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
I have had a mains Parkside BMH 1100 SDS drill for a few years, its
been 100% reliable, soon after getting it (after the instruction were
lost) a red LED lit up leaving me guessing as to what it was for..

It has a usefull green LED for when it has power, then a red one. The
red one has rectangular solid line box symbol, followed by a second
rectangular box symbol made up of dots. It is double insulated and uses
a two core flex, but the symbol next to the red LED is not a double
insulated symbol. Anyone know what the red LED indicates, it comes on
as soon as power is applied to the drill?

lmgtfy

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/75...P-Bmh-1100.htm
l?page=14#manual

10.2 carbon brush ware indicator.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 12th 19 08:47 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

Steve Walker formulated on Friday :
A quick google brings up the manual and the red LED is warning of "Carbon
Brush Wear."

Thanks, I wonder how they measure that? I have opened it up, to dust it
out and the brushes look fine..

Brian Gaff July 13th 19 09:44 AM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

Probably either the intermittent sparking or the spring tension or length of
the brush. Normally though if you let them go too far the comutator starts
to get eroded away, so best to swap them. In old vacuums they had a similar
thing, but you don't see it these days, probably cos they are chuck it away
and by a new one merchants.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 13th 19 01:18 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

Brian Gaff has brought this to us :
Probably either the intermittent sparking or the spring tension or length of
the brush. Normally though if you let them go too far the comutator starts to
get eroded away, so best to swap them. In old vacuums they had a similar
thing, but you don't see it these days, probably cos they are chuck it away
and by a new one merchants.

I checked all of that, not realising what the LED meant - it was all
fine, good brushes and perfect com.. The red LED came on soon after
purchase, comes on as soon as power is applied and remains on like the
green power LED.

My best guess, is that it checks and compares resistance through the
brushes and com. and should light up if its too high. It must be a
false indication, so best ignored.

Jack98 July 13th 19 09:40 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Brian Gaff has brought this to us :
Probably either the intermittent sparking or the spring tension or length
of the brush. Normally though if you let them go too far the comutator
starts to get eroded away, so best to swap them. In old vacuums they had
a similar thing, but you don't see it these days, probably cos they are
chuck it away and by a new one merchants.

I checked all of that, not realising what the LED meant - it was all fine,
good brushes and perfect com.. The red LED came on soon after purchase,
comes on as soon as power is applied and remains on like the green power
LED.

My best guess, is that it checks and compares resistance through the
brushes and com. and should light up if its too high. It must be a false
indication, so best ignored.

I'd be making a warranty claim myself.

Peeler[_4_] July 13th 19 11:11 PM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019 06:40:07 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

I checked all of that, not realising what the LED meant - it was all fine,
good brushes and perfect com.. The red LED came on soon after purchase,
comes on as soon as power is applied and remains on like the green power
LED.

My best guess, is that it checks and compares resistance through the
brushes and com. and should light up if its too high. It must be a false
indication, so best ignored.

I'd be making a warranty claim myself.

After several years of use? You would, wouldn't you, sociopath! tsk

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 14th 19 11:57 AM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

Jack98 explained :
I'd be making a warranty claim myself.

It will be well out of warranty by now.

Jack98 July 14th 19 08:32 PM

Red LED on Parkside SDS

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Jack98 explained :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote

I have had a mains Parkside BMH 1100 SDS drill for a few years, its been
100% reliable, soon after getting it (after the instruction were lost) a
red LED lit up leaving me guessing as to what it was for..

I'd be making a warranty claim myself.

It will be well out of warranty by now.

I meant when the red led first showed itself.

They might accept your story that it did that
very early if it's a known fault with that drill.

Peeler[_4_] July 14th 19 09:17 PM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 05:32:30 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

I'd be making a warranty claim myself.

It will be well out of warranty by now.

I meant when the red led first showed itself.

No, you didn't mean that as your use of the tense clearly shows, senile
Rodent!

They might accept your story that it did that
very early if it's a known fault with that drill.

Oh, stop bull****ting finally, you abnormal endlessly bull****ting senile
wisenheimer!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Tricky Dicky[_4_] July 15th 19 10:02 AM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

Lidl guarantee their Parkside tools for three years so it depends on how long the OP has had his drill. More importantly has he still got his receipt?

Richard