DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing a rivet (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/637593-removing-rivet.html)

tonkski[_2_] July 12th 19 05:53 PM

Removing a rivet

I have a roof ladder which has bearer brackets every few rungs, which stand it off the roof a few inches. I need to move one of these brackets. I'd like to make sure I remove the bracket without destroying it or the ladder. The bracket is secured to the ladder with what I assume is some kind of rivet (there's nothing sticking out of the opposite side of the ladder). Here's a photo: imgur.com/a/FuAVreC

What kind of rivet is this, and how do I best remove it please? I have a drill and an angle grinder. Ta.

newshound July 12th 19 06:18 PM

Removing a rivet

On 12/07/2019 16:53, tonkski wrote:
I have a roof ladder which has bearer brackets every few rungs, which stand it off the roof a few inches. I need to move one of these brackets. I'd like to make sure I remove the bracket without destroying it or the ladder. The bracket is secured to the ladder with what I assume is some kind of rivet (there's nothing sticking out of the opposite side of the ladder). Here's a photo: imgur.com/a/FuAVreC

What kind of rivet is this, and how do I best remove it please? I have a drill and an angle grinder. Ta.

Doesn't really look like a normal pop-rivet, although that is what I
expected it to be. Is the head aluminium? Easily checked, it will
scratch easily with (say) a Stanley Knife. Or a file.

The normal way to remove pop rivets is to drill them using a sharp drill
bit in a cordless drill (for best control). You need a drill a little
bit larger than the hole that the rivet goes through (I realise that you
do not know this dimension). It is possibly some sort of blind rivet
(i.e. there is some sort of plug in the centre of what is otherwise a
tubular structure). These are sometimes steel and will make the drill
bounce around a bit.

But given the thickness of the bracket, I would have said that a little
bit of damage to the outer surface of the bracket does not matter.

If they don't drill out easily then I would either file the heads off by
hand (if they are aluminium) or grind them off with an angle grinder (if
they are steel). Once the heads are gone, I'd expect you to be able to
wrench the bracket off. It may be a bit tight, because of expansion of
the rivet. It will probably be easiest if you punch the remains of the
rivet back into the hollow part of the ladder using a suitable punch or
drift. Done carefully, it should not affect the strength of the ladder
at all.

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] July 12th 19 06:35 PM

Removing a rivet

tonkski used his keyboard to write :
I have a roof ladder which has bearer brackets every few rungs, which stand
it off the roof a few inches. I need to move one of these brackets. I'd like
to make sure I remove the bracket without destroying it or the ladder. The
bracket is secured to the ladder with what I assume is some kind of rivet
(there's nothing sticking out of the opposite side of the ladder). Here's a
photo: imgur.com/a/FuAVreC

What kind of rivet is this, and how do I best remove it please? I have a
drill and an angle grinder. Ta.

Its an heavy duty pop rivet. Either use a drill bit, but have pliers to
hand to grip the rivet when it begins to spin under the drill, or you
could grind the head off with the angle grinder.

tonkski[_2_] July 13th 19 02:20 PM

Removing a rivet

Thanks both. That makes sense. The rivet head doesn't scratch easily, so probably not alu.

I didn't mention that I have one of those high speed reciprocating saws, which might do the job.

newshound July 13th 19 04:27 PM

Removing a rivet

On 13/07/2019 13:20, tonkski wrote:
Thanks both. That makes sense. The rivet head doesn't scratch easily, so probably not alu.

I didn't mention that I have one of those high speed reciprocating saws, which might do the job.

Do you mean a sabre saw, or a multitool? The former is almost the last
tool I would use, they are not very controllable.

If the rivet head does not scratch easily I would probably use an angle
grinder with a dished (grinding) disk.