Old July 12th 19, 01:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default any good?

On 12/07/2019 10:44, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 10:10:53 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
anybody got one of these ?

No, but the spec. sounds good.

A mate has a more expensive one that he considers to be good.

I cannot see a clip on current probe, so
no idea how they assess that.

For charging I believe they monitor the 'lift' in voltage from loaded
with engine off to with it running.

I like how they describe the DB15 connector as an OBD connector. ;-)

Well maybe it connects to the OBD port like it implies in the picture.

Old July 12th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 09:58, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

anybody got one of these ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autool-BT...53.m1438.l2649

I see it works for other species. That's impressive.

Bill
Old July 12th 19, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[email protected] expressed precisely :
It relies on the built in sensors by the looks of things.
The cars computer can probably tell you the state of the battery without it.

The ECU doesn't store that sort of information, that I am aware of, it
might store a failure to start, but that unit only seems to clip onto
the battery, so it cannot interrogate the car's ECU's.

Old July 12th 19, 01:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 12:50, [email protected] wrote:

The cars computer

The what?

Bill
Old July 12th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 13:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[email protected] expressed precisely :
It relies on the built in sensors by the looks of things.
The cars computer can probably tell you the state of the battery
without it.

The ECU doesn't store that sort of information, that I am aware of, it
might store a failure to start, but that unit only seems to clip onto
the battery, so it cannot interrogate the car's ECU's.

What, using the ODB port?
It does say it has an ODB connector.

Old July 12th 19, 01:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[email protected] presented the following explanation :
Well maybe it connects to the OBD port like it implies in the picture.

No sign of an OBD plug in the photos. The only setting seems to be for
the species of crank current reading you want to be displayed.

Old July 12th 19, 03:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 13:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
laid this down on his screen :
Measure oc battery voltage

Easy.
Measure battery resistance

How do they do that - place a small load on the battery, then measure
the voltage drop? Cannot be much of a load, in such a small device.

It could be a failt large load, but only for a very short time.

SteveW