Old July 12th 19, 09:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MES bulb repair

Graeme wrote:

Intrigued by Andy's suggestion of drilling an LED bulb.

Not a "bulb" just an LED.

straw-hats have an internal conical reflector so they tend to shine
sideways, which I assume your rotary flasher needs? You'd need to drill
your own dimple for your pivit e.g with a countersink drill bit, or
chamfer router bit, you wouldn't want to drill too far at risk of
damaging the LED die, so buy a big bag cheap from china to allow
experiments, e.g.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100pcs-lot-Ultra-Bright-0-75W-F8-White-LED-8-mm-Straw-Hat-Light-Emitting-Diodes/32286410626.html

Old July 12th 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Not a "bulb" just an LED.

Then epoxy the modified LED with suitable current limiting resister into
a rescued MES base.
Old July 12th 19, 09:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm not sure what you mean by dimple. a lot of larger torch bulbs have a
kind of uneven bit on the top, one assumes this was where the bulb was
sealed.
I still prefer screw bulbs for low voltage use instead of those pesky
bayonet types that seem to only make contact now and again when the spring
gets tired.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , Fredxx writes
On 11/07/2019 19:44, Graeme wrote:
I need a 12 - 14v MES dimple bulb.

What's a 'dimple bulb'? Do you mean one with a lens? In which case an LED
bulb would be a good alternative.

Thanks all, for the suggestions. A dimple bulb has a dimple in the top of
the bulb. I should have explained - as said, common in the US, but not
here :-)

Why? Remember the aquarium pump thread a couple of weeks ago? This is
all about a Marx toy beacon tower which uses a dimple bulb on top of which
balances a lightweight beacon with red and green lenses. Vanes in the top
of the beacon, the idea being that the heat from the bulb rises through
the vanes, causing the beacon to rotate, balanced in the bulb dimple.
Great idea but it rarely works so a friend had the idea of using an
aquarium pump to direct a jet of air through the vanes. It works
perfectly, but just as I got mine going, the poxy bulb blew! I suppose
the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

--
Graeme

Old July 12th 19, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote :
Great idea but it rarely works so a friend had the idea of using an aquarium
pump to direct a jet of air through the vanes. It works perfectly, but just
as I got mine going, the poxy bulb blew! I suppose the bulb must be 60 years
old, so shouldn't really complain.

If rising heat from the bulb was enough to make it spin, rather than
the pump, why not use the heat produced by a resistor? It would be
completely silent.

What is the supply voltage of this gadget?

Old July 12th 19, 11:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes

If rising heat from the bulb was enough to make it spin, rather than
the pump, why not use the heat produced by a resistor? It would be
completely silent.

Harry, the problem is that these devices have rarely if ever worked
properly since new. There just isn't enough heat to turn the beacon. It
is sometimes possible to get the beacon moving for a while with a quick
nudge, but it rarely spins for long. Another manufacturer (Lionel) had
a similar product which they withdrew and replaced with a motor powered
beacon because the heat version was unreliable.

What is the supply voltage of this gadget?

14v, although I use 12v, with the help of the little pump, which also
requires 12v. I have standardised on 12v for all bulbs and accessories.

Getting back to the pump, I was put off reducing the supply voltage
partly because it is convenient to have everything running at 12v, and
partly because, as was said, the pump may not start or run well on a
reduced voltage. I bought a Y piece to go in the tube, with one branch
running to the beacon and the other to a little plastic reducer valve
which allows fine tuning of the supply to the beacon, and works well.

--
Graeme
Old July 12th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 08:34, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Not a "bulb" just an LED.

Then epoxy the modified LED with suitable current limiting resister into
a rescued MES base.

You can buy MES LEDs with a flat top on eBay for a few ££s.
Old July 12th 19, 01:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 22:19, Andy Burns wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I suppose the bulb must be 60 years old, so shouldn't really complain.

A strawhat LED with suitable resistor to run on 12V, and drill your own
dimple in the top?

Some LEDs come with a dimple in them, I can't remember what they are
called but maybe straw hat ones.

Old July 12th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:32:26 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

straw-hats have an internal conical reflector so they tend to shine
sideways, which I assume your rotary flasher needs? You'd need to drill
your own dimple for your pivit e.g with a countersink drill bit, or
chamfer router bit, you wouldn't want to drill too far at risk of
damaging the LED die, so buy a big bag cheap from china to allow
experiments, e.g.

There's wide-angle LEDs that have such a dimple.

Can't find or google the name... but I guarantee they exist because I have some,
somewhere...

And the two-wire plastic LED top can be sanded, drilled, and ground very easily.

Thomas Prufer
Old July 12th 19, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 07:25, Graeme wrote:
In message , Fredxx writes

I've tried google images and got nowhere. This is where a link to a
picture might help.

You're right, of course.Â* eBay US item 223553936563

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lionel-39...-WITH-DIMPLE-B
ULB-NEW/223553936563?epid=1739264075&hash=item340cda5cb3:g :kXIAAOSw5cNYeo
Ob

Intrigued by Andy's suggestion of drilling an LED bulb.Â* Should I infer
that such a bulb (never used one) is plastic, rather than glass?

LEDs are plastic.

Now we know what it looks like..

use an ordinary bulb and glue a small washer on the top (M2 or less).

It only has to stop the pin falling off.

Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (0/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 35 July 24th 09 10:35 PM
Light bulb - Light-bulb.jpg (1/1) Raveninghorde Electronic Schematics 0 June 25th 09 12:40 PM
digital MEs Larry Jaques Metalworking 0 March 25th 09 12:52 PM
CADASTRO BIGBÔNUS + SITE EXPLICATIVO GRÁTIS - GANHE até R$35 MIL REAIS TODO MÊS!!! DenisBigbonusID06153 Metalworking 0 January 16th 08 03:58 AM
Bug Light Bulb---any bulb for outside use that are not yellow? Patty Amas Home Ownership 5 November 3rd 04 10:23 PM