Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default What's this sticky tape called?

The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in
engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz explained :
The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in
engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

I know just what you mean, but sorry I cannot think of the name..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 16:16:19 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in
engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

Replica tape.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...5/replica-tape
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry presented the following explanation :
Replica tape.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...5/replica-tape

I had in mind the material which compresses, so that measuring its
thickness once the two surfaces are disassembled = you know what the
clearance is between the faces.
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2019 16:16, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in
engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

Plastigauge?

https://plastigauge.co.uk/

--
Kevin

Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :
Plastigauge?

https://plastigauge.co.uk/

That is the one I had in mind..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2019 19:01, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
harry presented the following explanation :
Replica tape.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...5/replica-tape

I had in mind the material which compresses, so that measuring its
thickness once the two surfaces are disassembled = you know what the
clearance is between the faces.

Isn't that plastiguage ?
Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :
Plastigauge?

https://plastigauge.co.uk/

That is the one I had in mind..

But it looks nothing like decorators masking tape
https://youtu.be/lHucfmFMXSE?t=166

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Kevin explained on 10/07/2019 :
Plastigauge?

https://plastigauge.co.uk/

That is the one I had in mind..

Lead wire was an older method I have seen used to check the bearing
clearance on a ships triple expansion engine. The engineer , the engine and
probably the reel of the wire all dated from before the plastic age.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2019 18:07, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 16:16:19 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
The sort that looks a bit like decorators masking tape, but used in
engineering to establish what clearances lie between mating surfaces by
looking at indentations when parts are assembled?

Replica tape.

https://www.corrosionpedia.com/defin...5/replica-tape

Never heard of that (although I spent years measuring rough surfaces,
including taking replicas).

Our replica material of choice was Acrulite, this is just methyl
methacrylate monomer which you mix with powdered polymer. It sets in a
couple of minutes.

You can also get replicas using RTV silicone, either two pack putty as
used by dentists for replication, or creamy liquids dispensed from a
double tube syringe through a mixing nozzle.

Metallurgists have a clever technique for large, immovable plant. They
grind and polish the surface finishing with micron diamond paste, then
etch, then apply a drop of acetone and press a thin piece of acetate
sheet on to the surface, and allow it to dry. Done well, the resulting
replica, examined in a metallurgical microscope, gives almost as good an
image as could be obtained from the original metal.