Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY NAS. RPi4B?

On 10 Jul 2019 08:37:33 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:35:17 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 05:28:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 30/06/2019 21:35, wrote:
On Sunday, 30 June 2019 21:05:34 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
+1. BUT I have found an old mini-tower PC that was essentially given
to me as scrap will take up to 4 SATA drives of terabyte level size,
... ....a pi would cost more!

What about the electricity consumption though?

Well its not huge. About 25W I reckon

I bet it's higher than that, depending on how 'old' the hardware was
(from my practical measurements of such things).

Depending on the age of the SATA drives, they can be up to about 10W each.
Even my relatively modern microservers take about 25W-30W each, plus
disks.

Quite. I had to work quite hard to build my server and keep the power
consumption down.

I did it by carefully choosing an Atom powered ITX board, using 3 x
500GB laptop drives and making it passively cooled (every fan adds
quite a bit).

It also hibernates as soon as the last user logs off (and any torrent
file finishes or the network access drops below a minimum usage or
there is no guest access etc) and the hdd's idle when not being used
etc.

So, whilst not quite as low as say a DS218j, it's much closer than one
of TNP's 'old PC's' is likely to be ... and every little helps (lower
the background level). ;-)

When measuring desktop PC's in general I was horrified just how much
power some of them consumed, even when idle! ;-(

Daughter was saying last night that she wishes she had all her stuff
in one place again (as she used to when she lived here) as she is
often on her phone, laptop or desktop. I would love to give her
something like a 218j but we can't really afford it atm (funeral /
other costs etc).

So I could build her a RPi based unit and it probably wouldn't need to
be massive, so even 1TB (or whatever the deal / sweet spot was for
USB3 portable drives) of storage would probably do, but it really
would need to have 1) some sort of RAID(1) and 2) the content of the
drives would need to be readable in the event of a system hardware
failure (on another box etc).

I'm currently testing a new 32GB uSD card and will install Rasbian on
it. I would then like to install the latest version of OMV and (try
to) configure it for RAID1 (I don't think there are any OMV images for
RPi4 yet).

Performance doesn't really matter (within reason) and as long as the
soft RAID doesn't impact the performance too much, it shouldn't be any
worse (and likely to be much better) than my OMV running on a RPI2B.
;-)

OR, if RAID isn't advised, even on a RPi4, working out how you could
automate the backup of a single shared volume onto an alternative one?
Whilst this wouldn't be a production solution, availability would be
important as stuff generally goes wrong when time is critical or the
data most important. ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
+1. BUT I have found an old mini-tower PC that was essentially given
to me as scrap will take up to 4 SATA drives of terabyte level size,
... ....a piÂ* would cost more!

What about the electricity consumption though?

Well its not huge. About 25W I reckon

I bet it's higher than that, depending on how 'old' the hardware was
(from my practical measurements of such things).

Depending on the age of the SATA drives, they can be up to about 10W
each.
Even my relatively modern microservers take about 25W-30W each, plus
disks.

The SATA drives are probably the newest thing in it. Drives do not
last more than about 5-7 years.

Bull****. None of mine have ever failed and some
are much older than that. In continuous use too.

In my working life I have run an ISP with dozens of servers.

I have a close relationship with a PC builder as a result. And a good
sttaistical knowledg of disk lives

Disks that are thrashed 24x7 will barely make a year warranty. Normal
disks last 5-7.

Disks that are seldom used can go on for 10 or more.

I know what I am talking about.

In my server after about 14 years I have replaced 3 disks

MoBos last a lot longer .

Yep, only ever had the one fail.

I have had three fail. At home.

Burned out a CPU or two in the business fromn dead fans.

Mostly something like ethernet stops working, or onboard video or sound
goes.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 20:24:31 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

The SATA drives are probably the newest thing in it. Drives do not last
more than about 5-7 years.

Bull****. None of mine have ever failed and some
are much older than that. In continuous use too.

Obviously it's not the same for different people, auto-contradicting senile
asshole!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Only if they arent properly cooled. And that magnificent
statistical report from that massive great server farm
shows nothing even remotely like that claim of yours.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backb...stats-q1-2019/

Normal disks last 5-7.

Doesnt show that either.

Disks that are seldom used can go on for 10 or more.

I know what I am talking about.

You clearly dont.

In my server after about 14 years I have replaced 3 disks

Thats nothing like your original claim.

MoBos last a lot longer .

Yep, only ever had the one fail.

I have had three fail. At home.

Then you must be using crap motherboards.

Burned out a CPU or two in the business fromn dead fans.

Never had a dead cpu fan either, but then I use intel cpus.

Mostly something like ethernet stops working, or onboard video or sound
goes.

You must be using crap motherboards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:03:58 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

In my working life I have run an ISP with dozens of servers.

I have a close relationship with a PC builder as a result. And a good
sttaistical knowledg of disk lives

Disks that are thrashed 24x7 will barely make a year warranty.

Only if

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile asshole? BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:45:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

Quite. I had to work quite hard to build my server and keep the power
consumption down.

I did it by carefully choosing an Atom powered ITX board, using 3 x
500GB laptop drives and making it passively cooled (every fan adds quite
a bit).

I originally had 1U servers, all fitted with ITX boards. They worked
fine, but the fans soon became noisy and they had problems in the height
of summer.

I ended up replacing them with HP microservers. A bit more power
consumption, but better for my hearing.

DIY NAS. RPi4B? Vir Campestris UK diy 1 July 6th 19 11:31 PM
DIY NAS question for the *nix experts John Rumm UK diy 63 February 22nd 16 09:52 PM
Hmmmm, PVR/NAS head scratching. brass monkey UK diy 4 January 29th 12 10:41 PM
Hackable Linux NAS box Tim Watts UK diy 15 July 7th 10 12:02 AM
Rohde & Schwarz, VHF Insertion Unit NAS-Z5 70 - 1000MHz EBAY110242696963 Graham Electronics Repair 0 April 17th 08 11:40 PM