Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New filling hose required?

I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/07/2019 19:02, Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it statesÂ* the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Have you found the instructions for the quick wash?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 19:02, Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it statesÂ* the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

I have never replaced the hose....got a new machine a few weeks ago..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/19 19:08, ARW wrote:
On 09/07/2019 19:02, Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it statesÂ* the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Have you found the instructions for the quick wash?

I haven't asked my 6-year old grandson how to do it yet! :-)

Looking at some of the specs was enough! It seems to me that the new
machines are adding pointless functions on top of already pointless
functions, and making it even more complicated. The "quick washes" seem
to vary from brand to brand, and with some of the standard washes taking
well over four hours I can see why they are needed. Actually, trying to
find the "best" machine for our needs is a lot simpler in one way as
"The Management" insists on a silver/grey/stainless steel colour to
match everything else, and there are far fewer of those available now
than several years ago.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 19:02:16 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

The commonest source of house flooding is Wm hoses splitting. I 'spect it's to avoid this.
They go hard & inflexible with age. When moved/bent they can split.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/07/2019 19:25, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 09/07/19 19:08, ARW wrote:
On 09/07/2019 19:02, Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it statesÂ* the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Have you found the instructions for the quick wash?

Â*I haven't asked my 6-year old grandson how to do it yet! :-)

Looking at some of the specs was enough! It seems to me that the new
machines are adding pointless functions on top of already pointless
functions, and making it even more complicated. The "quick washes" seem
to vary from brand to brand, and with some of the standard washes taking
well over four hours I can see why they are needed. Actually, trying to
find the "best" machine for our needs is a lot simpler in one way as
"The Management" insists on a silver/grey/stainless steel colour to
match everything else, and there are far fewer of those available now
than several years ago.

I found one that could actually do a 14 minute quick wash.

Technical stuff like bedding is left to the gf as is loading up the
tumble drier afterwards and then making up the bed.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Q: Do filling hoses last forever?
A: No
Q: Were you supplied with new hoses with the new machine?
A: Yes.

Seems to be a bit of a no brainier unless you like floods.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/19 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Q: Do filling hoses last forever?
A: No
Q: Were you supplied with new hoses with the new machine?
A: Yes.

It'll only need a cold fill, but in any case I'll need a longer hose (at
least 2,2m) as the WM is that far from the cold water supply, and it has
to run behind the dishwasher.
Seems to be a bit of a no brainier unless you like floods.

Tim

Well, it might be somewhat less clear than you think according to the
reviews here reporting leaks with new or almost new hoses:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-inlet-hose-blue-2-5m-x/10955
https://www.toolstation.com/washing-machine-hose/p17946
Similar with Wickes, although the B&Q one gets good reports.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Washing machines it is all black arts only wummin know the right incantations.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/19 20:11, Tim+ wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one
manual that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when
the machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace
it, (or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the
washing machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to
replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

Q: Do filling hoses last forever?
A: No
Q: Were you supplied with new hoses with the new machine?
A: Yes.

It'll only need a cold fill, but in any case I'll need a longer hose (at
least 2,2m) as the WM is that far from the cold water supply, and it has
to run behind the dishwasher.
Seems to be a bit of a no brainier unless you like floods.

Tim

Well, it might be somewhat less clear than you think according to the
reviews here reporting leaks with new or almost new hoses:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-inlet-hose-blue-2-5m-x/10955
https://www.toolstation.com/washing-machine-hose/p17946
Similar with Wickes, although the B&Q one gets good reports.

The supplied hoses are 1.5m so you'll need a 2.5m hose. Buy red ones,
they're a pound cheaper than blue in the sheds, due to demand based
pricing algorithms.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Washing machines it is all black arts only wummin know the right incantations.

Richard

Catchy tune: #Washing machines live longer in Manchester#

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one manual
that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when the
machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace it,
(or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the washing
machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to replace it?

Because its not a great idea if it bursts because its too old and floods the
house.

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

And isnt much use when deciding how well it washes the worst of the clothes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:24:34 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one manual
that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when the
machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace it,
(or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the washing
machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to replace it?

Because its not a great idea if it bursts because its too old and floods the
house.

Depends on how old the old hose is, idiot!

--
Keema Nam addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You are now exposed as a liar, as well as an ignorant troll."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 23:24, Jack98 wrote:

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines
is quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity
I've experienced recently. Too much information!

And isnt much use when deciding how well it washes the worst of the
clothes.

I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

In my household its either short or long wash at 30C or an occasional
wash of (towels) at the highest temperature.

You many pay £100s more for functions that are never used or for those
that work no better than the basic functions. All machines will give
timed washes at user selected temperatures.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
On 09/07/2019 23:24, Jack98 wrote:

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

And isnt much use when deciding how well it washes the worst of the
clothes.

I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

Sure, but it isnt necessarily the same 3 in all households
and with modern electronic controls it doesnt cost
anything to have more than 3/5

In my household its either short or long wash at 30C or an occasional wash
of (towels) at the highest temperature.

In mine its just one now, but its possible it might be
more than one in the future.

You many pay £100s more for functions that are never used

That isnt the case anymore.

or for those that work no better than the basic functions.

And neither is that.

All machines will give timed washes at user selected temperatures.

Not all, some of the older ones dont.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 19:03:00 +1000, Jack98, better known as cantankerous

I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

Sure, but it isnt

In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane abnormal senile
pest? LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

Agreed!

In my household its either short or long wash at 30C or an occasional
wash of (towels) at the highest temperature.

Yes, the usual 'every day' wash, a hot wash and a quick wash.

I have given up looking at specs for domestic appliances now, and just
buy whatever is on offer at the time. They all do the same basic job
whether fridge, washing machine or whatever.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Or too little. If anyone who may want to use it might develop poor sight,
watch out as the current ones are almost an eyesight and dexterity test in
themselves. Many can be controlled by phone apps that are designed for
nuclear scientists.

RIDC.org is your friend there are only ten worth considering so you won't
have much to worry about.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I am about to get a replacement washing machine and noticed in one manual
that it states the old filling hose should never be reused when the
machine is installed. I can see that it /might/ be better to replace it,
(or at least replace the rubber washer where it screws onto the washing
machine inlet) but if it is not leaking why is it essential to replace it?

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines is
quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity I've
experienced recently. Too much information!

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/07/2019 07:25, alan_m wrote:
On 09/07/2019 23:24, Jack98 wrote:

I must say that looking through specs and reviews of washing machines
is quite possibly the most mind-numbing and madness-inducing activity
I've experienced recently. Too much information!

And isnt much use when deciding how well it washes the worst of the
clothes.

I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

The lingerie wash on my machine has never been used:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graeme" wrote in message
In message , alan_m
writes
I'll bet in most households no more than 3 settings will be used.

Agreed!

In my household its either short or long wash at 30C or an occasional wash
of (towels) at the highest temperature.

Yes, the usual 'every day' wash, a hot wash and a quick wash.

I have given up looking at specs for domestic appliances now, and just buy
whatever is on offer at the time. They all do the same basic job whether
fridge, washing machine or whatever.

Don't agree with that with fridges and freezers, frost free works a
hell of a lot better than the alternatives. And its not just not ever
having to defrost the thing either, I have just discovered when
I managed to completely fill my massive latest frost free freezer
and had to start using one of the previous manual defrost freezers
for the overflow that you don't get any buildup of ice in the food
with the frost free, presumably because the freezing air that gets
in to the freezer is completely dry with the frost free.

And much better if you manage to not completely close the door
too. The older manually defrosted freezer ended up with a massive
amount of frost in it in that situation. The frost free doesn't because
it maintains a positive presume of completely dry air too.

Same with desktop ovens, digital air fryers work a lot better than
the massive great wall ovens too for all but the biggest stuff like
say an xmas turkey etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 05:49:12 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have given up looking at specs for domestic appliances now, and just buy
whatever is on offer at the time. They all do the same basic job whether
fridge, washing machine or whatever.

Don't agree with that

Well, that's a new one, senile auto-contradictor! LOL