Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My 64 bit Mesh machine switches off after about 10 sec.

Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

10 Sec sounds like over heating.

Open up the case and see if the fan is spinning, flick it with your
fingers if it isn't, etc.

Hoover the heat sink if it looks dirty.

Caveat not that I know anything about it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 16:20, Pancho wrote:
On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all.Â* Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer
nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone
suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem...Â* Any
help would be much appreciated.

10 Sec sounds like over heating.

Open up the case and see if the fan is spinning, flick it with your
fingers if it isn't, etc.

I meant CPU fan, not case fan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.

That's about 10 years old, and there may be hardware issues with the
motherboard or PSU.

The usual way to deal with this is to try each of these steps in order:

Clean all the dust out of the case.
Run the PC with the side cover off - are all the fans running?
Reseat all the RAM, and push all the plugs on the board in properly.
Check the motherboard for blown caps.
Replace the thermal paste on the CPU.
Replace the CMOS battery + reset the CMOS
Disconnect as much as possible from the motherboard, eg the hard disks,
USB devices, DVDROM, graphics card (if there's onboard graphics), leave
minimum RAM - try to get down to the minimum configuration that will POST.
Swap in a known-good PSU.

When you've done that please let us know the results.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have to say that I had an amd 64 bit machine running windows7 then8 then
10, one day it started to do this. The psu had gone but took the motherboard
with it. Salvaged still intact ram and an hd and dvd, chucked the rest
away.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.

At a guess it is so loaded up with gaming hardware the PSU cant cope

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 17:47:43 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all. Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this problem... Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.

At a guess it is so loaded up with gaming hardware the PSU cant cope

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Grateful thanks to everyone... I had to be away for awhile but now I can respond to all the points mentioned... Both CPU and Case fans are running okay, there was some, but not much, dust in the CPU heatsink but all that has been cleaned when removing the processor. The motherboard appears to be physically 'sound' with no blown caps. I have run the machine with minimum load on the PSU and with covers removed but still the same delinquent behaviour... The actual delay is circa 12/16 seconds. I had a similar problem about six years ago when the machine simply shut down without warning after one to four hours and the solution at that time was to replace the PSU. So my strategy now is to obtain a known good PSU as GB suggests so I'll replace the 500W version with a 600W new from eBay?? I will keep everyone apprised.

Thanks again and kindest to regards all... Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/07/2019 19:57, Richardmerri wrote:
[...]

Get a decent PSU.

Thanks again and kindest to regards all... Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I think that is a reaopsnable way to proceed.

PSUs will shuit down on overcurrent or overtemperature and the way they
measure both is via components that can age.

If it still shows this behavior after a new PSU is installed ny guess
would ne that smomethhing is loading it up, and here its a question of
unplugging peripherals and any boards until the pronblem goes away or if
it doesn't, new motherbaord time

Really doing a binary chop on the hardware is the simplest way to id a
device thats sucking power. Removing teh disks for example should result
in a machine that boots to te bios. If it stays up, try adding disks
back one by one - you get the idea.

A wet afternoon and plenty of coffee is helpful

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 11:57:52 -0700 (PDT), Richardmerri wrote:

[...]

I had a PC that shut down about 6s after start - it was the 'Turbo' button
permanently made, so the PSU was shut down after the set time for power-down
on pressing that button or tha Start button. I just isolated it as I never
used it.
Your time is too long for that, so possibly the PSU. I always fit a good
Seasonic from mid-range or above. This one is 400W - way OTT and runs at
about 100W even of starting, but it never gets hot or overloaded. Idling is
a bit less than 10% of PSU. It wasn't possible to get both the quality that
I wanted and a 200W one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 22:17, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Recently I have had the power button sticking down, so the machine turns
on, but soon trys to reset and can't move on from there.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 00:09:23 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

WD40!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 20:01:09 UTC+1, GB wrote:
[...]

Any suggestions or recommendations for a DECENT PSU??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 11:10, Richardmerri wrote:
[...]

http://www.woc.co.uk/pricelist.aspx?category=PSU

A company that honors its guarantees.

--
€œThe fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 11:19:08 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

[...]

Or
https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer...urers=Seasonic
suitable power and the best that you're willing to pay.
I built a PC for a friend about 14 - 15 years ago; it's not in a clean place
and it's still going - with odd bits of fettling.
Seasonic makes PSUs for some other companies but the build varies of course.
Best component to fit is a v. good PSU - it's the one thing that can take
out just about everything in/around a PC.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

[...]

The fact you are having to replace a 4 year old generic PSU suggests
that buying a decent brand may be a good idea. Also, you may not need
such a powerful one in a decent brand. What have you got loaded into the
machine that makes you think you need a 600w PSU?

I agree with buying Seasonic/FPS. Good makes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 11:45, GB wrote:
What have you got loaded into the machine that makes you think you need
a 600w PSU?

In general serious gaming video cards are power eaters

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...n,5805-10.html

that peaks at nearly 400W!

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 12:12:39 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 09/07/2019 11:45, GB wrote:
What have you got loaded into the machine that makes you think you need
a 600w PSU?

In general serious gaming video cards are power eaters

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...n,5805-10.html

that peaks at nearly 400W!

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
their spears on the ground and talk of honor. Those who leap high the
battle dance and dream of glory €¦ The good of dead warriors, Mother, is
that they are dead.
Sheri S Tepper: The Awakeners.

Oh Dear... The case has changed!! The switch off delay has today changed to just 3 seconds after switch on! And, I have obtained a PSU which is now in the machine but THE SYMPTOMS ARE THE SAME :-( So, it appears that the mobo is sending a 'shut down' signal to the PSU almost immediately (3s) after switch on, I suspect that some (small?) component on the mobo has failed but it is nigh on impossible to identify which component. I have used a large magnifier to inspect every component on the mobo but to no avail, nothing looks untoward! So it is looking like a new mobo or new machine here.

Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:

it is looking like a new mobo

try removing the CMOS battery and shorting out the jumper ... I have had
two ASUS motherboards where the auto memory timing could get itself into
a similar knot ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 11:45, GB wrote:
[...]

In a word.
****.

I would guess that of all the compunents to go short an elecrolytic is
the culprit.

see if there is a bulgy one around

But a mobo isnt as expensive as the RAM and CPU that goes in it.

But befier that remove all peripehrals 0 disks etc - ram chips and pci
cards etc and see if the psu dies then

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But a mobo isnt as expensive as the RAM and CPU that goes in it.

But befier that remove all peripehrals 0 disks etc - ram chips and pci
cards etc and see if the psu dies then

Changing a motherboard (unless it is to one of exactly the same type, with
all the same make of devices such as graphics, disk controller, USB
controller etc) may cause the PC to blue screen because the drivers don't
match the devices.

One though that I don't think has been mentioned: is the CPU fan spinning at
full speed? There may be a shutdown (to protect the CPU) is the fan isn't
detected to be running at the right speed. 3 seconds is a bit soon for the
over-temperature sensor in the CPU to kick in, but could be about right for
a fan speed detector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 17:58, NY wrote:
But a mobo isnt as expensive as the RAM and CPU that goes in it.

But befier that remove all peripehrals 0 disks etc - ram chips and pci
cards etc and see if the psu dies then

Changing a motherboard (unless it is to one of exactly the same type,
with all the same make of devices such as graphics, disk controller, USB
controller etc) may cause the PC to blue screen because the drivers
don't match the devices.

only if its running winders |

One though that I don't think has been mentioned: is the CPU fan
spinning at full speed? There may be a shutdown (to protect the CPU) is
the fan isn't detected to be running at the right speed. 3 seconds is a
bit soon for the over-temperature sensor in the CPU to kick in, but
could be about right for a fan speed detector.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 17:58, NY wrote:
But a mobo isnt as expensive as the RAM and CPU that goes in it.

But befier that remove all peripehrals 0 disks etc - ram chips and
pci cards etc and see if the psu dies then

Changing a motherboard (unless it is to one of exactly the same type,
with all the same make of devices such as graphics, disk controller,
USB controller etc) may cause the PC to blue screen because the
drivers don't match the devices.

only if its running winders |

To be fair to Microsoft, I have made big changes - even going from Intel
architecture to AMD and vice-versa and it just boots, automatically
loads the right drivers and carries on working.

I never leave it like that though, prefering to do a clean install after
major changes.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 17:47:43 UTC+1, The Natural PhilosopherÂ* wrote:
On 08/07/2019 15:39, Richardmerri wrote:
Hello all.Â* Can anyone help? My 64 bit Mesh machine (mesh computer
nero 9950hd) switches off about 10 sec. after switching on. Can
anyone suggest a way forward to identify the cause of this
problem...Â* Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard.

At a guess it is so loaded up with gaming hardware the PSU cant cope

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Grateful thanks to everyone...Â* I had to be away for awhile but now I
can respond to all the points mentioned...Â* Both CPU and Case fans are
running okay, there was some, but not much, dust in the CPU heatsink
but all that has been cleaned when removing the processor.Â* The
motherboard appears to be physically 'sound' with no blown caps. I
have run the machine with minimum load on the PSU and with covers
removed but still the same delinquent behaviour... The actual delay is
circa 12/16 seconds.Â* I had a similar problem about six years ago when
the machine simply shut down without warning after one to four hours
and the solution at that time was to replace the PSU.Â* So my strategy
now is to obtain a known good PSU as GB suggests so I'll replace the
500W version with a 600W new from eBay??Â* I will keep everyone apprised.

Get a decent PSU.

That will be more than the computer is worth. It's 10 years old,
so unless it has a Firewire port which is used for something I
would get a newer one.

A 500watt PS should be plenty powerful enough for most purposes.

If you must get a new P/S, go for one with a higher efficiency
rating, described as "80+" gold/white/bronze etc

Thanks again and kindest to regards all... Richard.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 10:41:17 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 08/07/2019 20:01, GB wrote:
[...]

Me again! I am now faced with the problem of accessing the data on the Mesh machine hard drive which has two NTFS partitions, one for the OS and the largest one for the data. I have a 64 bit machine running Linux Mint which has a spare SATA port to which I can connect the ex. Mesh hard drive but I suspect that Linux will not directly read the data files? I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS files... Can anyone help me here?

Kind regards... Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:

I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS files... Can anyone help me here?

For read-only access to an NTFS volume (provided it was cleanly
dismounted) you should get on ok with the kernel ntfs driver, if you
want to write (or delete) files then the ntfs-3g fuse driver is probably
a better bet ... all assuming mint comes with the drivers ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 11:27, PeterC wrote:
[...]

I would add (as is my theme) that they tend to be more efficient,
offsetting the higher initial cost after a while.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It should

Pretty sure NTFS is pretty commonly avialable and directly recognised by
Mint

you will need to issue the appropriate mount command, or in fact the GUI
file manager may be able to do that in a point and clcky way.
..

Just pop them in the sata drive bays plug em in and boot linux

See what pops up in the deafult file manager

I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS
files... Can anyone help me here?

Kernel level is OK for NTFS for sire.

Kind regards... Richard

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2019 13:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Richardmerri wrote:

I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS
files... Can anyone help me here?

For read-only access to an NTFS volume (provided it was cleanly
dismounted) you should get on ok with the kernel ntfs driver, if you
want to write (or delete) files then the ntfs-3g fuse driver is probably
a better bet ... all assuming mint comes with the drivers ....

it does

This may be helpful
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ing-drive-in-f

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:

I believe the Linux kernel may have a sequence that will read NTFS
files... Can anyone help me here?

For read-only access to an NTFS volume (provided it was cleanly
dismounted) you should get on ok with the kernel ntfs driver, if you
want to write (or delete) files then the ntfs-3g fuse driver is probably
a better bet ... all assuming mint comes with the drivers ....

it does

This may be helpful
https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...ing-drive-in-f

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential
survival, to indulging in navel gazing and faux moral investigations
into what the world ought to be, whilst we fail utterly to deal with
what it actually is.

Hello all, and once again thanks for your invaluable help with this problem.... We have now, and thanks again, recovered all our sensitive data from the Mesh hdd (we spent the best part of all yesterday (Friday) working with the interim computer) and our objective now is to obtain a replacement machine in due course.

Kindest regards to all... Richard (and Jenny).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:

[...]

I hope you now realise you need a proper backup regime or you *will*
lose it all at sometime in the future.

Mirrored disks, a USB HDD, etc. are not a backup solution for data you
want to keep.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richardmerri wrote:

[...]

Hi Dennis... Yes indeed!! GOT IT! I had, only two weeks prior to this 'event' said to my wife 'we MUST put in place a rigorous backup process/regime'... Oh dear... Good intentions?? Thanks for the reinforcement! Kind regards... Richard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/07/2019 14:48, Richardmerri wrote:

Hi Dennis... Yes indeed!! GOT IT! I had, only two weeks prior to this 'event' said to my wife 'we MUST put in place a rigorous backup process/regime'... Oh dear... Good intentions?? Thanks for the reinforcement! Kind regards... Richard.

By far the simplest approach is Backup and Sync from Google. That backs
up your hard drive in real time and saves it to the cloud (where Google
can analyse your data to its heart's content, of course). Unless you pay
for storage, you need to limit it to 5-10GB. That's enough for all my
important documents, but not enough for everything on my PC of course.
So, I'm quite selective about which directories are backed up and where
I store stuff. That provides reasonable protection against a house fire
or theft of the PC, but not against a virus that encrypts the data.

There are similar services for photos, IIRC, with unlimited storage.

Apart from that, I mirror the hard disks with RAID 1. (That's not backup
but very useful.)

I also copy all the important docs to a series of USB drives that I use
in rotation then disconnect. They provide reasonable backup against
viruses encrypting, but not fire or theft. I do this *almost* every day,
but it's not perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
I also copy all the important docs to a series of USB drives that I use in
rotation then disconnect. They provide reasonable backup against viruses
encrypting, but not fire or theft. I do this *almost* every day, but it's
not perfect.

I copy files to USB drives (so I've got two copies of the files: one on the
PC's HDD and one on the external) and I *try* to remember to remove the
external drive and keep it in the fire safe when I'm not backing up, though
it's tedious doing that because the safe is in the garage - a separate
building so *maybe* one that will survive if the house burns down.

I use Microsoft SyncToy to do the incremental backup. I'm sure there are
plenty of other programs that do the same job.