Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wireless energy monitor recommendations?

Hi all,

The recent questions around issues with daughters pre-paid top up key
(now resolved thanks) have made me think they might like / appreciate
some sort of real-time energy monitor display.

I have had one years ago (but it died) so I was wondering if anyone
could personally recommend a particular make or model, ideally not to
expensive?

A simple / clear real-time usage display (ideally in a tangible form
like kWh, not just 'None - Loads') and if it could also manage the
current running 'cost', plus possibly the cumulative cost, that might
be the cherry on the cake, especially if the total could also include
a daily standing charge?

Failing the extra bits, something with a reasonable remote range
(meter / lounge at opposite ends of the flat) and the clearest display
please.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 14:27:46 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
A simple / clear real-time usage display (ideally in a tangible form
like kWh, not just 'None - Loads') and if it could also manage the
current running 'cost', plus possibly the cumulative cost, that might
be the cherry on the cake, especially if the total could also include
a daily standing charge?

I think the British Gas Minim monitors they gave away as part of a greenwash scheme a decade ago would do this, but they're known for not being terribly accurate. I don't think anything that clamps rounfd the meter tail is particularly accurate.

They and similar appear on ebay for reasonable values of peanuts.

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

Yes. But I don't know if they show you how much credit is remaining on a prepayment meter. It would be a bit useless if they didn't, but I've got used to things being a bit useless.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Prompted by this thread I've just ordered one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONZO-Smar...ipFi nCBRc37g

I wonder if it comes with ready-leaked batteries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyGMdg3NI4

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 14:27, T i m wrote:
[...]

I have a Geo Minim - with the LED sensor, and find it is dead accurate -
ie within about 100Wh per week. We have economy 7 and all the inaccuracy
can be attributed to a small difference in switching times between the
two tariffs - which could be corrected if I could be arsed.
Only suitable if you have a flashing LED on your meter.

I found the current clamp type to be very innacurate as they calculate
the instantaneous power from an innacuratly measured current and a
guestimated voltage whereas the LED sensor type relies on the meter
itself for the total energy measurement so should be (and is) as
accurate as the meter itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 07:08:41 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Monday, 8 July 2019 14:27:46 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
A simple / clear real-time usage display (ideally in a tangible form
like kWh, not just 'None - Loads') and if it could also manage the
current running 'cost', plus possibly the cumulative cost, that might
be the cherry on the cake, especially if the total could also include
a daily standing charge?

I think the British Gas Minim monitors they gave away as part of a greenwash scheme a decade ago would do this, but they're known for not being terribly accurate. I don't think anything that clamps rounfd the meter tail is particularly accurate.

Understood. Thinking on, it doesn't need to be accurate as such, as
long as it's reasonably linear (from a reasonable stating value etc).

They and similar appear on ebay for reasonable values of peanuts.

Yes, I've been checking there and there are some Owl units for less
than £20. The Minim look to use the flashing light on the meter so
should be more accurate, if not so instant (particularly at low
usage). I think they support 3 tariffs and a daily charge. ;-)

Just not what I'd call 'peanuts' though. ;-(

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

Yes. But I don't know if they show you how much credit is remaining on a prepayment meter.

I guess if she new she had £20 on there when she reset the cumulative
cost counter she would at least have an idea she was getting close
before going to look at the meter physically?

It would be a bit useless if they didn't, but I've got used to things being a bit useless.

And why I guess we often make something ourselves?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

some sort of real-time energy monitor display.

e.on used to give away the OWL energy monitors, in the days before smart
meters, a clip-on current transformer/transmitter for the meter tails,
powered by a D cell and a receiver/display in the house, even had an
RS232 output with USB adapter that spat out XML

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/OWL/273919816405

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Not the only, the other obvious advantage is no longer
having to read the meter and enter it on the web site etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The other perks are they read your meter remotely.
And can shut you off remotely.
And can change the tariff remotely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:55:05 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

snip

Prompted by this thread I've just ordered one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONZO-Smar...ipFi nCBRc37g

I saw those.

I wonder if it comes with ready-leaked batteries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyGMdg3NI4

Many of the listings for that model seem to suggest they do (or
might). ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:05:58 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

snip

I have a Geo Minim - with the LED sensor, and find it is dead accurate -
ie within about 100Wh per week.

That is impressive.

We have economy 7 and all the inaccuracy
can be attributed to a small difference in switching times between the
two tariffs - which could be corrected if I could be arsed.

Making it even more impressive. ;-)

Only suitable if you have a flashing LED on your meter.

Both daughter and I do (as it happens).

I found the current clamp type to be very innacurate as they calculate
the instantaneous power from an innacuratly measured current and a
guestimated voltage

But give you a pointer to your usage at least?

whereas the LED sensor type relies on the meter
itself for the total energy measurement so should be (and is) as
accurate as the meter itself.

Understood.

Based on the comments here, I should have one on it's way. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:52:15 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

some sort of real-time energy monitor display.

e.on used to give away the OWL energy monitors, in the days before smart
meters, a clip-on current transformer/transmitter for the meter tails,
powered by a D cell and a receiver/display in the house, even had an
RS232 output with USB adapter that spat out XML

https://ebay.co.uk/itm/OWL/273919816405

Yeah, I had something similar for a while and was given another that I
gave to a mate for his shop. Not sure how accurate they were in
absolute terms but they at least provided pointers to the general
usage.

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

yes.

Thought so. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 17:37:48 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Don't smart meters offer this already?

I believe they do but we don't have them (yet).

Certainly I have had demos of the new
ones that even have a voice.

Cool, depending on how it spoke and when.

I imagine it will say something like, unless
you recharge you will be cut off in 10 9 8....
grin.

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:30:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

Not the only, the other obvious advantage is no longer
having to read the meter and enter it on the web site etc.

Not to daughter it isn't (PrePay). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 00:34, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:55:05 +0100, Graham.
wrote:

snip

Prompted by this thread I've just ordered one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ONZO-Smar...ipFi nCBRc37g

I saw those.

I wonder if it comes with ready-leaked batteries?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NyGMdg3NI4

Many of the listings for that model seem to suggest they do (or
might). ;-(

I had one of those free from my supplier about 10 years back - failed
after a couple of years with leaked batteries.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 04:30:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

p.s. Am I right in thinking this is one of (/only?) the 'perks' of
getting a smart meter fitted, the remote display thing?

Not the only, the other obvious advantage is no longer
having to read the meter and enter it on the web site etc.

Not necessarily, all-knowing senile idiot! Depends on the provider of any
country handling it in his preferred way.

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 05:08:08 +0100, RJH wrote:

snip

I had one of those free from my supplier about 10 years back - failed
after a couple of years with leaked batteries.

I wonder if they had a batch of bad batteries then, if yours failed
all those years ago?

I can see how that could happen. I was privy to a design of an
electronic gadget that was going to be sold though one of the big
chains. The chain wanted to sell it for £19.99 and so would only pay
£5 for it. So the designer had to make something on it and get it into
the country all packaged up for less than that. We were looking at
alternative components that were fractions of a penny different in
price in effort to get the cost manufacturing cost down.

We want the best and might assume stuff was made from the best bits
available but of course, not for a long time. ;-(

Cheers, T i m