Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable entry to 'non combustible' consumer units

Moving further on in my consumer unit replacement exercise I have just
been looking at my 18th Edition 'On-Site Guide' and it says in section
2.2.6:-

(c) The cable installation entry method shall, so far as
reasonably practical, maintain the fire containment of the
enclosure. It is essential that account be taken of the
manufacturer's instructions, if any.

This can generally be achieved by the installer ensuring that
cable access holes in the enclosure do not leave gaps greater than:-

* 1.0mm for the horizontal top surface and
* 2.5mm for all other surfaces of the enclosure that are
accessible after installation

How can one possibly manage this with flat T&E cable? Do new CUs come
with oval cut-outs sized for T&E - it seems rather unlikely. Would
any trunking used to cover cables as they enter the CU also have to be
'non-combustible'?

I'm aiming to mount the CU fairly high up, about 75 to 100mm from the
ceiling. Nearly all the cables will be coming down from above,
through the plasterboard ceiling. Would it satisfy the regulations to
encase the whole space between the CU and the ceiling in metal?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I believe the answer is intumescent goo - fortunately I have no personal
experience.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 09:16:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
How can one possibly manage this with flat T&E cable?

Squishy grommets

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKEMTF.html

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-mem...t-10-pcs/4019P

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...iece-set/9638P

Unfortunately these nice cheap ones

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider...k-of-100/18603

"are not 3rd amendment grommets"

There are also glands suitable for flat cables eg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...4mm-grey/8797p

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wrote in message:
On Monday, 8 July 2019 09:16:04 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
How can one possibly manage this with flat T&E cable?

Squishy grommets

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKEMTF.html

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-mem...t-10-pcs/4019P

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-g...iece-set/9638P

Unfortunately these nice cheap ones

https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider...k-of-100/18603

"are not 3rd amendment grommets"

"*Wallace was getting lonely without a friend so I bought these
and now he?s happy and has someone to eat Wensleydale with again.
Pack size is too big for a diyer*"
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 8 July 2019 11:50:33 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
"Â*Wallace was getting lonely without a friend so I bought these
and now he?s happy and has someone to eat Wensleydale with again.
Pack size is too big for a diyerÂ*"

" It's rubber, it's pliable, it fits well, what more can I say. "

I wonder what some people are using them for, I've never felt the need to soften them in warm water before using.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here is what I am doing on the CU in the garage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2huuhyygu...40.21.jpg?dl=0

All I have used is conduit couplers and brass bushes to hold them in place once the wiring is finished I will be squirting in intumescent sealant to restore integrity (as recommended by Adam).The only slight problem is that the 20mm couplers are shorter than the 25mm coupler so needed a couple locknuts under each to bring them level. Fortunately MK give precise dimensions for the knockouts on their data sheet so I was able to make a drilling template for accurate drilling into the trunking.

Richard

non-combustible wood for mantle? [email protected] Home Repair 6 March 9th 07 04:18 PM
Natural / combustible gas detector Smarty Home Repair 11 November 7th 06 12:06 AM
Non-combustible Vegetation near a Water Tank? Scott Townsend Home Repair 8 July 30th 06 12:15 AM
Non Combustible Wall? Ted Home Repair 2 September 9th 05 12:12 AM
Is Plaster a non-combustible material? Martin UK diy 10 March 8th 05 10:59 AM