Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumber's Snake Oil?

Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 07/07/2019 20:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

It's something to do with money changing hands, perhaps?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 20:53, GB wrote:
On 07/07/2019 20:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

It's something to do with money changing hands, perhaps?

Its amazing how quantum entangled money is.

Its movement can affect physical laws.

See also
renewable energy
climate change
GM crops..

#

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 20:59:53 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
GM crops..

All crops are genetically modified.

If it comes to it, so are we.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2019 20:57, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 20:25:54 +0100, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs
Computer wrote:

Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.

The general scientific opinion is that it's ********. The practical
experience of some people is that they seem to work. YPYMAYTYP
https://tinyurl.com/y4cq59c5
https://tinyurl.com/y28rl5xq

When I moved to this area, a fellow sceptic (geophysics PhD) said that,
in fact, magnets seemed to stop his kettle furring (the scale just
settled in a loose gritty layer). I tried one and it seemed to work too.
Then I moved house (but just across the road) and there it didn't seem
to work the same. YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
Computer wrote:

[...]

Thats because the Alzhiemers got you to forget to turn it on in the new
place |-(

YMMV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 07:06:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll's troll****

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they cause significant RFI as well. All I can tell you is that a
friend had one for some years, what happened was the pipe where it was
mounted ended up clogged up with limescale. From what I can tell they
attempt to use either magnetism or electrostatic charge to make the lime
scale clump together into larger blobs. It obviously cannot remove it since
there is no mechanism to do so, and so its still there. You can judge for
yourself what is going to happen. its probably either going to not work at
all, do what my friends did and clog the pipe locally or distribute itself
around your plumbing. I see problems in the future either way. I'd not touch
one with a ten foot pole.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer" wrote
in message ...
Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes certainly, I think in a house with high water pressure it will have
little effect, the lower the pressure the more it will simply clog up pipes
until something goes wrong.
Then the scale will just return but your pipes aware probably scaled up. It
also depends on the makeup of the actual calcium or bits of old concrete
and plastic in the water, and since there is no way to get the clumped stuff
out its just going to go to the nears place it can lodge all clumped
together.
I personally feel that water treatment plants are the place where water
should be made limescale free if you believe that is more healthy.
Bah humbug.
Brian

--
----- --

"GB" wrote in message
On 07/07/2019 20:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

It's something to do with money changing hands, perhaps?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Read my two messages though, the side effects can be worse than the problem.
Incidentally way back when the old Tomorrows World was on somebody reckoned
they had designed heating elements for immersion heaters and kettles that
actively repelled the limescale, thus stopping the main reason for them
failing due to being insulated, thermally from the water they were supposed
to heat.
Strange then that most heaters still look like they always did and still
scale up.
Could it possibly be the idea was a dud? Surely not!
Brian

--
----- --

Computer wrote:

Someone has just asked me about the device sold to stop
your water pipes and tanks furring up, which consists of
a coil wound around the pipe that is then excited by
an oscillator.

Personally, I think the whole thing to be bollox.

Does anybody know the physics behind it?

I cannot see how orienting the calcium saly ions
in one particular direction will stop furring up
some distance away especially if there has been
turbulent flow in between.

I advised him to get a water softener fitted instead.

The general scientific opinion is that it's ********. The practical
experience of some people is that they seem to work. YPYMAYTYP
https://tinyurl.com/y4cq59c5
https://tinyurl.com/y28rl5xq

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes see the replies I gave earlier. It may appear to work but the where has
it gone is very significant I think.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
o.uk...
Computer wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2019 07:38, Brian Gaff wrote:

It obviously cannot remove it since
there is no mechanism to do so,

Apart from, say, your CH heating system all the water will come out of
the tap or down the bowl when you flush the loo. If the limescale
remains in solution rather than sticking to the pipes then there is
always a method of removing 100% of it. Applying snake oil in the form
of a weak magnetic field may not achieve this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They prevent scale deposition very effectively in soft water areas.
Anyone remember the protracted debates about magnetic water conditioners? I believe,ADAM/IMM was a great fan of them.