Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Netbook, back again

On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:

I don't think we would want 'more features' (than a reliable / basic
NAS, possibly with the option of RAID1) and those we would want we
aren't likely to get ... like the sort of client machine backup we get
as std on WHS?

You probably want a reliable incremental backup to another device/cloud
service.
This is so if you do get an infection on your PC/laptop and it starts
encrypting stuff on the shared drive you can get it back by going back
in time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 14/07/2019 18:30, Andy Burns wrote:
T i m wrote:

ss wrote:

not to all websites but I think thats a lesser issue and possibly
firewall or something.

Or browser, from your previous messages.

Running XP means running old browsers, old browsers don't support modern
encryption, some sites that don't really need to be encrypted are anyway
because somebody thought it would be a good idea, so you end up with
inaccessible web sites ...

Win XP will only run IE versions up to 8 usually - and that is a bit
long in the tooth. However you can run relatively recent versions of
firefox, which will cope with most sites, but you will be a bit more at
risk since you won't have fixes for the most recent critical browser
vulnerabilities.

Browser for Win XP still updated a fork of firefoxPalemoon

https://feodor2.github.io/Mypal/

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 23:05:12 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:

I don't think we would want 'more features' (than a reliable / basic
NAS, possibly with the option of RAID1) and those we would want we
aren't likely to get ... like the sort of client machine backup we get
as std on WHS?

You probably want a reliable incremental backup to another device/cloud
service.
This is so if you do get an infection on your PC/laptop and it starts
encrypting stuff on the shared drive you can get it back by going back
in time.

Agreed.

I've been playing more with the TeraStation tonight and found it quite
good. Certainly much much easier to configure than OMV. ;-)

Full factory reset.

When logging back into the web admin page it prompted me that a
firmware update was available and I applied it (it did all the work).

I then removed the dead drive and one of the others ( the date code
worked out to 2009 but the NAS has been offline for quite a few
years).

I rebuilt the remaining two drives as RAID1 (LED's by each bay
reflects what's going on).

Created two shares, Public and Private and put a username and password
on Private.

The front backlit LCD display cycles though various status functions
which are user settable (with user settable backlight brightness and
sleep period).

Copied a wodge of files (176MB) to it and they went ok.

25 seconds to the OMV running on a RPi2
20 Seconds to the TeraStation
10 Seconds to the WHS (on the same Gb switch as PC)

Did it all with hardly any reference to the manual [1] (that it also
provides in a SMB share and from a network link on the admin page),
just how such hardware should be. ;-)

I've enabled disk spindown and will play with the other timer / sleep
settings.

It also has two Gb Ethernet ports and if you use one to connect to
another TS, you can duplex the NAS's. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I flicked though it whilst waiting for stuff to see what else it
did. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2019 20:13, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 17:51:46 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Can't say I was that impressed with the Baffalo NAS I saw.

In this case 'beggars can't be choosers' John. ;-)

I have wasted enough time working with not quite good enough kit to be
quite a choosy beggar!

If you want
"simple and works" Netgear readynas are good.

Ok. I have seen them on eBay. (Just trying not to go there again),
could it have been a D-Link NAS that required (forced) you to create
an online account and the NAS was linked to it or might that be an
option on most of them for remote access?

You can join them to their ready cloud setup if you want remote access
and don't want to roll your own via VPN etc. However you can set them up
the old fashioned way just pointing a browser at the built in web
interface.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

ss wrote:

not to all websites but I think thats a lesser issue and possibly
firewall or something.

Or browser, from your previous messages.

Running XP means running old browsers, old browsers don't support modern
encryption, some sites that don't really need to be encrypted are anyway
because somebody thought it would be a good idea, so you end up with
inaccessible web sites ...

Win XP will only run IE versions up to 8 usually - and that is a bit
long in the tooth. However you can run relatively recent versions of
firefox, which will cope with most sites, but you will be a bit more at
risk since you won't have fixes for the most recent critical browser
vulnerabilities.

Browser for Win XP still updated a fork of firefoxPalemoon

https://feodor2.github.io/Mypal/

Handy, I had not seen that. Thanks.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Can't say I was that impressed with the Baffalo NAS I saw.

In this case 'beggars can't be choosers' John. ;-)

I have wasted enough time working with not quite good enough kit to be
quite a choosy beggar!

Understood. The thing is, I understand these TeraStations (4 bay) were
quite expensive when new (over £1000) and I'm not sure I could justify
such a thing for home use. The thought being I would therefore have a
business grade NAS that might (in itself) be more reliable than a
consumer grade NAS?

If you want
"simple and works" Netgear readynas are good.

Ok. I have seen them on eBay. (Just trying not to go there again),
could it have been a D-Link NAS that required (forced) you to create
an online account and the NAS was linked to it or might that be an
option on most of them for remote access?

You can join them to their ready cloud setup if you want remote access
and don't want to roll your own via VPN etc. However you can set them up
the old fashioned way just pointing a browser at the built in web
interface.

Thanks for that John, as long as their is an option. As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

I was looking at this base model:
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs

Would their be any reason it wouldn't be as reliable as say a Synology
DS218j (my other consideration)?

I have installed a DS218j for a mate and whilst I eventually got it
running (just as a basic NAS (a faulty drive didn't help)), I can't
say it was particularly intuitive or logical (apps and utilities all
over the place with no real clues as to what you needed for what).

By comparison, the TeraStation was very straightforward (but
potentially less flexible etc). I think I quite like the old Menu way
of doing things (rather than GUI apps), much quicker to explore and
use (if well designed). System Storage Drives RAID Create /
Delete etc.

One thing the above tech spec isn't clear about is the standby power
consumption and how you wake it from standby? It mentions the WOL
power consumption but would that mean you would have to send it a WOL
packet to regain access to the shares?

I've just had a quick Google and it looks like the RN10200 (empty
chassis) is around £250 (V the DS218j at £155) so that's probably
decided that. ;-)

Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John
(I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Can't say I was that impressed with the Baffalo NAS I saw.

In this case 'beggars can't be choosers' John. ;-)

I have wasted enough time working with not quite good enough kit to be
quite a choosy beggar!

Understood. The thing is, I understand these TeraStations (4 bay) were
quite expensive when new (over £1000) and I'm not sure I could justify
such a thing for home use. The thought being I would therefore have a
business grade NAS that might (in itself) be more reliable than a
consumer grade NAS?

I don't know if the 4 bay ones are any better - but the thing that
really let down the 2 bay ones I have seen is the software. It might be
they have improved in the last couple of years.

(also the price when new is not an overall indication of comparative
quality - you could buy a new QNAP 453A for ~£360 now)

If you want
"simple and works" Netgear readynas are good.

Ok. I have seen them on eBay. (Just trying not to go there again),
could it have been a D-Link NAS that required (forced) you to create
an online account and the NAS was linked to it or might that be an
option on most of them for remote access?

You can join them to their ready cloud setup if you want remote access
and don't want to roll your own via VPN etc. However you can set them up
the old fashioned way just pointing a browser at the built in web
interface.

Thanks for that John, as long as their is an option. As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

I was looking at this base model:
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs

Would their be any reason it wouldn't be as reliable as say a Synology
DS218j (my other consideration)?

I have a dozen or more of that class of machine installed in various
client's offices. Some have been running now 24/7 for 8 years. They all
have WD "Red" drives. In that time we have had zero failures, and I have
only needed to do a forced restart perhaps a couple of times between
them. So based on that limited sample size, I would rate the reliability
as very good.

(Note that although they are superficially similar, the internal
architecture of them has evolved quite substantially over the years. The
early ones were SPARC based, then later ARM, and some Intel ATOM).

I have installed a DS218j for a mate and whilst I eventually got it
running (just as a basic NAS (a faulty drive didn't help)), I can't
say it was particularly intuitive or logical (apps and utilities all
over the place with no real clues as to what you needed for what).

By comparison, the TeraStation was very straightforward (but
potentially less flexible etc). I think I quite like the old Menu way
of doing things (rather than GUI apps), much quicker to explore and
use (if well designed). System Storage Drives RAID Create /
Delete etc.

I think they have all suffered the same "progress" to an extent. They
started with very simple GUIs which were basically hierarchical lists of
tasks, and have got more elaborate with time. My current QNAP has a full
blown windowing GUI running inside a browser window.

One thing the above tech spec isn't clear about is the standby power
consumption and how you wake it from standby? It mentions the WOL
power consumption but would that mean you would have to send it a WOL
packet to regain access to the shares?

You can schedule power on times. Normally they will wake when something
tries to access them though.

I've just had a quick Google and it looks like the RN10200 (empty
chassis) is around £250 (V the DS218j at £155) so that's probably
decided that. ;-)

They do seem to have gone up market price wise - the entry level 2 bay
units were around £100 to start with.

Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John
(I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?

Not tried TBH - the last 2 bay Synology I played with seemed easy enough
to use locally - but that was before cloudy was big!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2019 10:46, T i m wrote:

Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John
(I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?

They run a dynamic DNS service so it can be found if you have a dynamic
address.

I use the Synolgy VPN server when I go away so I can still backup stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 12:50:49 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip good info

As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit
etc).

I was looking at this base model:
https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs

Would their be any reason it wouldn't be as reliable as say a Synology
DS218j (my other consideration)?

I have a dozen or more of that class of machine installed in various
client's offices. Some have been running now 24/7 for 8 years. They all
have WD "Red" drives. In that time we have had zero failures, and I have
only needed to do a forced restart perhaps a couple of times between
them. So based on that limited sample size, I would rate the reliability
as very good.

Good to hear, thanks.

(Note that although they are superficially similar, the internal
architecture of them has evolved quite substantially over the years. The
early ones were SPARC based, then later ARM, and some Intel ATOM).

Noted.

I think they have all suffered the same "progress" to an extent. They
started with very simple GUIs which were basically hierarchical lists of
tasks, and have got more elaborate with time. My current QNAP has a full
blown windowing GUI running inside a browser window.

And that's fine, if they are well designed but it seems much of this
stuff is coming directly from China with a Chinglish manual and
'bitsy' UI. I think the Synology boxes have a bit of a reputation for
the latter, with some utility overlap confusing the issue.

One thing the above tech spec isn't clear about is the standby power
consumption and how you wake it from standby? It mentions the WOL
power consumption but would that mean you would have to send it a WOL
packet to regain access to the shares?

You can schedule power on times. Normally they will wake when something
tries to access them though.

And that would be ok, but I wasn't sure if it was the same thing as
the specific mention of WOL he

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...#tab-techspecs

"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"

I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't
specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)?
I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the
past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then
becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

I've just had a quick Google and it looks like the RN10200 (empty
chassis) is around £250 (V the DS218j at £155) so that's probably
decided that. ;-)

They do seem to have gone up market price wise - the entry level 2 bay
units were around £100 to start with.

That would be much more doable John. ;-)

Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John
(I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?

Not tried TBH - the last 2 bay Synology I played with seemed easy enough
to use locally - but that was before cloudy was big!

;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 13:13:35 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 17/07/2019 10:46, T i m wrote:

Would you know if the Synology box is as easy to access remotely John
(I believe I can via their 'QuickConnect' facility)?

They run a dynamic DNS service so it can be found if you have a dynamic
address.

'They (the manufacturers of the NAS provide a free) DNS service if
....', do you mean (and I hope). ;-)

I use the Synolgy VPN server when I go away so I can still backup stuff.

Is it also 'easy' to access stuff remotely from work (where she can't
install any extra software but does have open web access) to home
without using a VPN, say if daughter wanted to access some work photos
she'd taken and processed at home (rather than having to move via USB
drive etc)?

Would it simply be a matter of pointing a browser at her (free)
personal address, connecting, authenticating and browsing /
downloading etc?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip good info

As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit
etc).

Well the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage,
and just providing access to it like it were in the cloud. So it does
not as such represent an ongoing cost other than the lekky to run the
NAS (which you would be paying anyway).

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...px#tab-techspe

"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"

I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't
specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)?
I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the
past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then
becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

Sounds like its real WoL :

https://kb.netgear.com/23119/What-is...storage-system

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage, and
just providing access to it like it were in the cloud.

I tried a docker install of nextcloud on fedora the other week, it
didn't fill me with confidence ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip good info

As it happens,
for daughter, the ability to access work photos that she may have been
processing at home, from work (or anywhere) might actually be useful
to her.

The whole "personal cloud" thing is something they push these days.

It's just yet another ongoing cost (if not limited or on your own kit
etc).

Well the point about the personal bit is using your NAS as the storage,
and just providing access to it like it were in the cloud. So it does
not as such represent an ongoing cost other than the lekky to run the
NAS (which you would be paying anyway).

Understood (thanks for clearing up my 'if' above). ;-)

snip

https://www.netgear.com/home/product...px#tab-techspe

"Power Consumption - Wake on LAN 1.0W"

I might have considered it to mean 'wake on access' if they hadn't
specifically used the term Wake on Lan (which I have set / used etc)?
I might just be being wary because I've experienced cheap NAS's in the
past that require 'special software' to use them fully (that then
becomes an issue when using numerous machines and Linux etc).

Sounds like its real WoL :

https://kb.netgear.com/23119/What-is...storage-system

Agreed, thanks again John.

I'm going to stick the TeraStation back on the power monitor socket.
When I first got it it wasn't on the LAN and I saw it quickly go to
sleep (40W to 7W).

I wiped it, re-configured it to RAID1 and put it online but it seems
to be active all the time?

Cheers, T i m