Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default An old cable I am not familiar with

Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...aireyhouse.jpg

Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits
and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded
copper and the imperial equivalent of 1mm.

Anyone seen it before?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...aireyhouse.jpg

Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits
and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded
copper and the imperial equivalent of 1mm.

Anyone seen it before?

Is that a wire braid outside? The insulation looks a bit like rubber
rather than PVC, which suggests it might be pre-WW2?

"In the 1930s the first trials with PVC insulations were being made in
Germany and by the end of the second world war there were significant
varieties of synthetic rubbers and polyethylene.

By the 1950s PVC was commercially viable and replaced rubber cables in
many areas particularly in domestic wiring, aluminium was also starting
to be used widely as an alternative conductor"

https://www.elandcables.com/the-cabl...ctrical-cables
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2019 17:08, newshound wrote:
On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
[...]

Steel braiding over single PVC insulated cores.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 July 2019 17:03:44 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.
Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits
and quarries is one suggestion I have had.

Possible, in a mining area?

Alternatively, no outer sheathing saved plastic (in short supply) and the steel braiding saved copper (in short supply), and steel (in short supply) compared to conduit, and was quicker to install than conduit.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 July 2019 18:19:35 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I was here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorpe_Salvin

Very close to here then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_house

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
ARW wrote:

Steel braided PVC cables found in an Airey house.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...aireyhouse.jpg

Possibly never intended for domestic use and may have been used in pits
and quarries is one suggestion I have had. The cables cores are stranded
copper and the imperial equivalent of 1mm.

Anyone seen it before?

As you said an Airey type house.
They were built as in kit form including the wiring.
Each socket was radially fed with each cable being having different colour
pairs. The braiding was the earth return path.

--
John Bryan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
[...]

Is it steel or tin plated copper?

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes when we rewired in the 70s the old cable was mostly rubber with a kind
of fabric on the outside. The cooker supply here is aluminium wire, and it
seems to be pretty good, still, but of course dates back to the 60s, and was
merely moved to the new CU when the rewiring was done. I've never bothered
with another CU to bring it all up to date, since it seems pretty pointless
these days.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In our last house built 1957 it must have been wired with rubber insulated cable with a separate bare earth conductor running alongside it. I say must have because I only found one section connecting the bedrooms and if I recall right it seemed a lot bulkier than 2.5 T&E. I have no idea what types of sockets were there originally but there was evidence of wires being crimped to the earth conductor. The previous ******s - sorry owners, did a partial rewire if you could call it that hanging individual sockets off the rubber cable with junction boxes and as for the earth simply twisted the CPC from the new sections of T&E onto the old earth no crimps or solder and they did not even clean off the years of crud built up on the wire surface. I do not even to this day know if that section of rubber wire was even part of a ring main. In the end I started from scratch simply ripping everything out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 23:30, Tricky Dicky wrote:
[...]

Coming back to the unfamiliar cable theme I came across a type of cable I had never seen before whilst re-plastering a wall it had two rubber sheathed conductors but they had an outer sheath of lead. It was only a short section I suspect to connect to a wall light. I presume the outer lead sheathing was to provide an earth conductor but it struck me as a very expensive cable especially for the fifties when we had just recently come off rationing following the war!

Richard

They didn't bother with earthing for lights in those days! Lead was to
provide weatherproofing and also to keep ozone away from the rubber,
which would otherwise crack. It also means a live to neutral fault
should blow the fuse with little risk of causing a local fire.

My first house (Victorian) was built with gas lights, but electric
lighting was probably added about 1910. This was via wooden trunking
with two channels, each containing a single core rubber insulated flex.
No two way switching in those days. Still functioning when I moved in
(mid 1970's).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I've still got rubber extension cords that my dad used for
an electric lawnmower in the late 1940s, no cracks at all.

It also means a live to neutral fault should blow the fuse with little
risk of causing a local fire.

My first house (Victorian) was built with gas lights, but electric
lighting was probably added about 1910. This was via wooden trunking with
two channels, each containing a single core rubber insulated flex. No two
way switching in those days. Still functioning when I moved in (mid
1970's).

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2019 17:03, ARW wrote:
[...]

Pretty sure it is steel braiding. Just like a SY cable without the clear
plastic outer.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 10:53:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

They didn't bother with earthing for lights in those days! Lead was to
provide weatherproofing and also to keep ozone away from the rubber, which
would otherwise crack.

I've still got rubber extension cords that my dad used for
an electric lawnmower in the late 1940s, no cracks at all.

What an IDIOT! LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky expressed precisely :
In our last house built 1957 it must have been wired with rubber insulated
cable with a separate bare earth conductor running alongside it. I say must
have because I only found one section connecting the bedrooms and if I recall
right it seemed a lot bulkier than 2.5 T&E.

That would have been 7.029 old imperial cable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound was thinking very hard :
This was via wooden trunking with two channels, each containing a single core
rubber insulated flex. No two way switching in those days. Still functioning
when I moved in (mid 1970's).

'Cap and casing', often installed by joiners who would wire houses up
after a bit of basic training, in the 1900's on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
newshound was thinking very hard :
This was via wooden trunking with two channels, each containing a
single core rubber insulated flex. No two way switching in those
days. Still functioning when I moved in (mid 1970's).

'Cap and casing', often installed by joiners who would wire houses up
after a bit of basic training, in the 1900's on.

Makes some sense. After all, making a neat job of installing electrics to
an old house not built with it needs more joiner's skills than electrical.

--
*Cleaned by Stevie Wonder, checked by David Blunkett*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
By the 1950‘s PVC was commercially viable and replaced rubber cables in
many areas particularly in domestic wiring, aluminium was also starting
to be used widely as an alternative conductor"

Didn't ally really appear due to the copper crisis when Rhodesia went
independent? Although councils seemed to be always looking out to save a
few pennies on their own house wiring.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2019 18:40, wrote:
On Saturday, 6 July 2019 18:19:35 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I was here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorpe_Salvin

Very close to here then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airey_house

I presume you meant this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthill,_South_Yorkshire

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 July 2019 13:59:42 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I presume you meant this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthill,_South_Yorkshire

I did.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2019 15:56, wrote:
On Sunday, 7 July 2019 13:59:42 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
I presume you meant this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthill,_South_Yorkshire

I did.

The apprentice liked the joists. No need (or indeed no way) to drill them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

I presume you meant this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthill,_South_Yorkshire

Wow! Two pubs for a population of around 1900 - which will
also include a proportion of under 18 year olds!

Crap TV reception round there, is there?

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article -
september.org, lid says...

In article ,
says...

I presume you meant this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harthill,_South_Yorkshire

Wow! Two pubs for a population of around 1900 - which will
also include a proportion of under 18 year olds!

Crap TV reception round there, is there?

One appears to have its own brewery!

https://goo.gl/maps/UvYAxjqb5FfFpSg28

It is, or was, a Tetley pub but the other one shows no sign of
being owned by a money grabbing pubco, which is a good sign.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com