Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default MK Essentials

On 04/07/2019 19:05, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

everything made in china is just junk

including your iPhone?

I have not got one and I don't want one.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/07/2019 18:24, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Keep on believing it, Jim. Once out of the EU, the UK can again take its
rightful place as the world's leading manufacturer. Lead by that ace
engineer, Boris.

I don't believe he could engineer a wank.

he doesnt have to, he just has to give someone who can, the job.

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 7 Jul 2019 06:02:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I hope it not a foreign prostitute that wanks him off or he may have to
DIY it in the future.

He appears to have found at least three locals who have let him **** them.

For YOU 85-year-old senile asshole there is NEITHER ****ing NOR wanking, eh,
senile Rodent? BG

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

Keep on believing it, Jim. Once out of the EU, the UK can again take its
rightful place as the world's leading manufacturer. Lead by that ace
engineer, Boris.

I don't believe he could engineer a wank.

given his apparent success with "the ladies" why would he need to

tim

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 04/07/2019 19:05, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

everything made in china is just junk

including your iPhone?

I have not got one and I don't want one.

it was just a place holder for "insert your favourite brand of expensive
consumer electronics here"

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message
On 04/07/2019 19:05, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

everything made in china is just junk

including your iPhone?

I have not got one and I don't want one.

it was just a place holder for "insert your favourite brand of expensive
consumer electronics here"

Quite. China simply makes anything the customer demands. If they want
cheap rubbish, they are happy to supply you. They seem to leave it to
Western makers to source their stuff there and put their own brand name on
it. And charge you several hundred percent extra for that brand name.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 13:33:27 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
First there was Tesco Value ... then Asda Smartprice ... now

Low prices shouldn't mean low quality. The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets, but with the reliabillity [sic] and performance you'd expect from MK.

https://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Pro...ssentials.aspx

Personally I think they look suspiciously like Lucky Golden Hedgehog brand stuff on ebay.

Hideous. ;-) For best value, the BG range from TLC takes some beating,
Plain simple design too.

Is BG made in the UK or 'lovingly designed in the UK'?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 10:21:05 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 04/07/2019 14:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
Who owns the MK name these days. Its all about pretending that a brand is
what it used to be.
I mean the early affordable DVD players were branded Warfdale. The early
dolby cassette decks were branded Bell and Howell. Nobody for a second
thought these were the makers. They were brand engineered.
Brian

When has it been any different? Even 40+ years ago I was aware that a
VHS video recorder with a "quality name", and price to match, came from
the same assembly line (with identical innards) as a much cheaper brand
in the marketplace. This is also when I started losing faith in the
Which? reviews which gave widely different "quality" scoring for two
identical units with different badges. The more expensive of the boxes
was a best buy while the other wasn't worth considering.

I can remember rumours in the 1970s that two grades of electronic
goods were made - one for the shops and one for warehouses like Comet.
There was even a variant on the rumour that the 'shop' models were
tested and the ones for Comet etc were untested, meaning that
equipment bought in Comet had a higher failure rate.

Another rumour was that Comet had heated storage areas and Dixons were
unheated therefore equipment bought at Comet would be more reliable.

I assume all urban myth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott wrote:
When has it been any different? Even 40+ years ago I was aware that a
VHS video recorder with a "quality name", and price to match, came from
the same assembly line (with identical innards) as a much cheaper brand
in the marketplace. This is also when I started losing faith in the
Which? reviews which gave widely different "quality" scoring for two
identical units with different badges. The more expensive of the boxes
was a best buy while the other wasn't worth considering.

I can remember rumours in the 1970s that two grades of electronic
goods were made - one for the shops and one for warehouses like Comet.
There was even a variant on the rumour that the 'shop' models were
tested and the ones for Comet etc were untested, meaning that
equipment bought in Comet had a higher failure rate.

You could certainly have different failure rates on identical chassis etc,
by soak testing them before sale. The bathtub curve?

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 July 2019 Owain wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Owain wrote:

The MK Essentials range is perfect for smaller budgets

pretty ugly ...

But with four 2-way switches in a single gang faceplate
it saves money on a double back box too!

Flameport gives them a look-over ...

https://youtu.be/osbADF3sOHU
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 May 2020 14:22:17 UTC+1, wrote:
Flameport gives them a look-over ...
https://youtu.be/osbADF3sOHU

I wish Youtube had an option for "view at 1.5x speed"

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Owain wrote:

The MK Essentials range

Are they made in China or is this an assumption?

That's what's printed onto them
I had a faulty unit and asked for a repair. They decided to replace
it. As they had no stock in the UK, judging by the time taken they
must have air-freighted the replacement from Malaysia then couriered
it to me. It was a problem with a screw, as has been mentioned. Good
customer service though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 May 2020 16:24:19 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

Owain wrote:

The MK Essentials range

Are they made in China or is this an assumption?

That's what's printed onto them

Thanks. I did not view the full 28 minutes :-)

MK is particularly good at declaring the place of origin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 6 July 2019 18:24:00 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

everything made in china is just junk ....no pun intended....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpXCofRqCXo
a mildly amusing review of a chinese car

Keep on believing it, Jim. Once out of the EU, the UK can again take its
rightful place as the world's leading manufacturer. Lead by that ace
engineer, Boris.

I don't believe he could engineer a wank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some of the MK range I bought during the 70s seemed to have badly formed
threads or screws, we thought MK stood for mostly Knackered.
They were very good quality stuff before that, I've not got involved more
recently, hopefully they got over that blip. I had to change some of my
light switches as one could not do the screws up to clamp the wires!
B4rian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Sunday, 10 May 2020 14:22:17 UTC+1, wrote:
Flameport gives them a look-over ...
https://youtu.be/osbADF3sOHU

I wish Youtube had an option for "view at 1.5x speed"

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I had to change some of my
light switches as one could not do the screws up to clamp the wires!

I think they did have a problem where the backed-out captive screws were
jammed too tight and could shear off when trying to get them to budge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2020 08:12:38 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

I had to change some of my
light switches as one could not do the screws up to clamp the wires!

I think they did have a problem where the backed-out captive screws were
jammed too tight and could shear off when trying to get them to budge.

I thought the screw was made of metal that was too soft. The problem
I had was purely as a result of over-tightening. I was always taught
that a screw should be tight and I did not expect one to shear off
when using a standard screwdriver. I thought MK would be able to
extract and replace the screw (which I assume is standard) but to my
surprise they replaced the product instead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

I thought MK would be able to extract and replace the screw (which I
assume is standard) but to my surprise they replaced the product
instead.

No manufacturer repairs £2 products ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2020 10:02:31 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Scott wrote:

I thought MK would be able to extract and replace the screw (which I
assume is standard) but to my surprise they replaced the product
instead.

No manufacturer repairs £2 products ...

Except it was made in Malaysia, there was no stock in Basildon and
they had to airfreight it in. I suppose there was a routine transfer
anyway that mine could be added to at no cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

did not expect one to shear off
when using a standard screwdriver. I thought MK would be able to
extract and replace the screw (which I assume is standard) but to my
surprise they replaced the product instead.

Surely the cheapest option for them - the cost to them would be pence - and
they would be unlikely to have someone in the office with the tools to
extract a screw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 May 2020 11:01:27 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

did not expect one to shear off
when using a standard screwdriver. I thought MK would be able to
extract and replace the screw (which I assume is standard) but to my
surprise they replaced the product instead.

Surely the cheapest option for them - the cost to them would be pence - and
they would be unlikely to have someone in the office with the tools to
extract a screw.

That was what I expected. And I think it's more than an office there.
I considered making an attempt myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote in
:

On Mon, 11 May 2020 11:01:27 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

did not expect one to shear off
when using a standard screwdriver. I thought MK would be able to
extract and replace the screw (which I assume is standard) but to
my surprise they replaced the product instead.

Surely the cheapest option for them - the cost to them would be pence
- and they would be unlikely to have someone in the office with the
tools to extract a screw.

That was what I expected. And I think it's more than an office there.
I considered making an attempt myself.

But a modern production facility would not be able to do it and someone in
the office where the mail is opened would not be able to wander around
trying to find someone to fix it - just not the way things are done
nowadays.