Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse Upgrade: how to upgrade the tails from the meter.

I want to upgrade the incoming fuse to 100A ready for switch from gas to
electric oven and hob + better electric shower.

I know UKPN will do the fuse, and my supplier (EDF) should be able to do
the 16mm tails /to/ the meter. My problem is bloody BG fitted an
isolator with 16mm tails from the meter. (Despite me having my 25mm
tails ready and waiting to run from the isolator to the CU.) And
everyone tells me I'm supposed to get an electrician to do the tails
/from/ the meter.

Two questions on that:

a. how's the electrician supposed to deal with the meter seal? do their
tails so EDF find the meter unsealed? be here at the same time as EDF
so EDF cut and then re-seal? or what? (I can't get a straight answer
from EDF.)

b. can they insist I get a card-carrier as it's not replacing a CU, not
in a special location, not a new circuit...?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 3:50:18 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:
I want to upgrade the incoming fuse to 100A ready for switch from gas to
electric oven and hob + better electric shower.

I know UKPN will do the fuse, and my supplier (EDF) should be able to do
the 16mm tails /to/ the meter. My problem is bloody BG fitted an
isolator with 16mm tails from the meter. (Despite me having my 25mm
tails ready and waiting to run from the isolator to the CU.) And
everyone tells me I'm supposed to get an electrician to do the tails
/from/ the meter.

When I did my CU change, I fitted an isolator, and got EDF to do a disconnect (for the old CU) and reconnect (to the isolator). IIRC I provided some tails already attached to the isolator, and they did the rest.

I didn't ask the ins and outs of who was supposed to do what - I did the bits attached to my side, and didn't touch any seals. The guy who turned up did the rest.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/07/2019 15:50, Robin wrote:
I want to upgrade the incoming fuse to 100A ready for switch from gas to
electric oven and hob + better electric shower.

I know UKPN will do the fuse, and my supplier (EDF) should be able to do
the 16mm tails /to/ the meter. My problem is bloody BG fitted an
isolator with 16mm tails from the meter.Â* (Despite me having my 25mm
tails ready and waiting to run from the isolator to the CU.) And
everyone tells me I'm supposed to get an electrician to do the tails
/from/ the meter.

Two questions on that:

a.Â*Â*Â* how's the electrician supposed to deal with the meter seal?Â* do
their tails so EDF find the meter unsealed?Â* be here at the same time as
EDF so EDF cut and then re-seal? or what?Â* (I can't get a straight
answer from EDF.)

b.Â*Â*Â* can they insist I get a card-carrier as it's not replacing a CU,
not in a special location, not a new circuit...?

The electrician cuts the seals, removes the fuse, replaces the tails,
replaces the fuse and goes home after training customer to say "I was
like that last time they read the meter"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W92s3ity_0Q

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 15:50:16 +0100, Robin wrote:

Two questions on that:

a. how's the electrician supposed to deal with the meter seal? do their
tails so EDF find the meter unsealed? be here at the same time as EDF
so EDF cut and then re-seal? or what? (I can't get a straight answer
from EDF.)

I don't think they are too much bothered if they turn up and find the
seals broken. They'll just seal them before they go. There certainly
won't be an inquest.
Adam might know differently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 18:48:08 +0100, ARW wrote:

The electrician cuts the seals, removes the fuse, replaces the tails,
replaces the fuse and goes home after training customer to say "I was
like that last time they read the meter"

That's what happened here, except I was the 'electrician'. That was when
I put the isolator in too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/07/2019 19:18, Robin wrote:
On 03/07/2019 18:48, ARW wrote:
[...]

My suggestion saves EDF all that trouble of sending out a **** on the
wrong day with the wrong info.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Johnson wrote:

I don't think they are too much bothered if they turn up and find the
seals broken. They'll just seal them before they go. There certainly
won't be an inquest.

I cut the seal, pulled the fuse, added my own isolator, with 25mm^2
tails on my side of it ... no meter reader said anything for many years,
eventually when meter was replaced the chap upgraded the tails on their
side of the isolator, uprated the fuse, and sealed the fuse (as well as
the input side of my isolator) not a word was said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/07/2019 10:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Johnson wrote:

I don't think they are too much bothered if they turn up and find the
seals broken. They'll just seal them before they go. There certainly
won't be an inquest.

I cut the seal, pulled the fuse, added my own isolator, with 25mm^2
tails on my side of it ... no meter reader said anything for many years,
eventually when meter was replaced the chap upgraded the tails on their
side of the isolator, uprated the fuse, and sealed the fuse (as well as
the input side of my isolator) not a word was said.

FTAOD I'd happily do that (since the problem with the jammed fuse was
sorted some years back) but it's the tails between the meter and the
isolator which you left that I need to replace.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Peter Johnson wrote:

I don't think they are too much bothered if they turn up and find the
seals broken. They'll just seal them before they go. There certainly
won't be an inquest.

I cut the seal, pulled the fuse, added my own isolator, with 25mm^2
tails on my side of it ... no meter reader said anything for many years,
eventually when meter was replaced the chap upgraded the tails on their
side of the isolator, uprated the fuse, and sealed the fuse (as well as
the input side of my isolator) not a word was said.

Think they'd only be interested if you had abnormally low leccy bills. ;-)

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 10:47:42 +0100, Robin wrote:

FTAOD I'd happily do that (since the problem with the jammed fuse was
sorted some years back) but it's the tails between the meter and the
isolator which you left that I need to replace.

The isolator and tails from it to meter are yours if I remember who
is respnsible for what corectly.

Incomer, cut out to it's output termianls and MET - DNO.
Meter and tails from the cut out - Your supplier.
Downstream of meter output terminals - You.

As the only way to safely work on your meter to isolator tails is to
cut the seals on the meter and fuse and pull the fuse. They really
can't argue, though I supposed you ought to tell the DNO and Supplier
that you have had work done, Or look on eBay for the seal wire and
lead crimps...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 05/07/2019 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:

As the only way to safely work on your meter to isolator tails is to
cut the seals on the meter and fuse and pull the fuse. They really
can't argue, though I supposed you ought to tell the DNO and Supplier
that you have had work done, Or look on eBay for the seal wire and
lead crimps...

Or just ask me if I have any:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

On 05/07/2019 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:

As the only way to safely work on your meter to isolator tails is to
cut the seals on the meter and fuse and pull the fuse. They really
can't argue, though I supposed you ought to tell the DNO and Supplier
that you have had work done, Or look on eBay for the seal wire and
lead crimps...

Or just ask me if I have any:-)

Mine has yellow plastic ties rather than lead crimps - is this an
alternative?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 06/07/2019 12:40, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 05/07/2019 09:25, Dave Liquorice wrote:

As the only way to safely work on your meter to isolator tails is to
cut the seals on the meter and fuse and pull the fuse. They really
can't argue, though I supposed you ought to tell the DNO and Supplier
that you have had work done, Or look on eBay for the seal wire and
lead crimps...

Or just ask me if I have any:-)

Mine has yellow plastic ties rather than lead crimps - is this an
alternative?

Why not. They are only there to see if the cover or fuse has been removed.

--
Adam

Meter tails Hugh UK diy 4 July 13th 05 02:02 PM
Meter Tails Christian McArdle UK diy 15 November 17th 04 08:37 PM
Electicity Meter Tails Jason Pearce UK diy 9 October 12th 04 12:17 PM
Swapping meter tails - no consumer fuse Al UK diy 22 October 28th 03 02:22 PM
Playing with meter tails Sparks UK diy 19 September 28th 03 05:53 PM