Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any recommendations for good quality furniture glides?

Downsizing to a small apartment, I'm trying to accommodate my large
TV.
I'd like to leave it standing on top of a low wide sideboard, but for
viewing purposes the sideboard will need to be pulled out at an angle,
then pushed back in place after use.

The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 15:14, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Downsizing to a small apartment, I'm trying to accommodate my large
TV.
I'd like to leave it standing on top of a low wide sideboard, but for
viewing purposes the sideboard will need to be pulled out at an angle,
then pushed back in place after use.

The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

TV too large for placing on a Lazy Susan?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket,
fixed to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight
against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 20:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket, fixed
to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight
against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.

I've been pleased with my brackets too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 20:45:35 +0100, Richard
wrote:

On 03/07/2019 15:14, Mike Halmarack wrote:
Downsizing to a small apartment, I'm trying to accommodate my large
TV.
I'd like to leave it standing on top of a low wide sideboard, but for
viewing purposes the sideboard will need to be pulled out at an angle,
then pushed back in place after use.

The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

TV too large for placing on a Lazy Susan?

It might reduce friction but the TV would hit the wall before it could
come to the required angle.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 20:47:39 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket,
fixed to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight
against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.

I had my previous TV on a similar heavy duty bracket.
This method wouldn't let me get enough rotation.
I'm also a bit concerned about the suitability of the wall for such
purposes. If the bracket would extend far enough to allow the TV to
rotate to where it's required, there would be a lot of leverage on the
wall fixings.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 21:35:39 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 03/07/2019 20:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket, fixed
to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight
against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.

I've been pleased with my brackets too.

I really enjoyed having my last TV on a bracket.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

If it's a concrete block/brick wall then the brackets come with fixings that do the job.
If it's timber/studwall /insulating blocks then modifications have to be made but still possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is this some kind of modified rabbit hutch?

I guess the ceilings ar too low to use pulleys to raise it up or bring the
bottom up to tilt it?
I have seen that done, but it does cause issues for the wiring!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The TV is 55" measured diagonally. It will need to be pulled out
almost at right angles to the wall. The bracket would have to extend a
long way to provide the rotation needed, without the inner side of the
TV jamming on the wall.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 07:40:21 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Whatever you do though you end up with tram lines in the carpet pile or
excessive wear. I tried this with a speaker and soon stopped doing it, you
are right castors, even the double width ones are juddery and often make it
impossible to get back to exactly the same spot as well.
What you need is a hovercraft!!

Brian

Fortunately I'm on the Isle of Wight so that shouldn't be too much of
a problem.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 07:43:21 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is this some kind of modified rabbit hutch?

It hasn't been significantly modified yet.

I guess the ceilings ar too low to use pulleys to raise it up or bring the
bottom up to tilt it?
I have seen that done, but it does cause issues for the wiring!
Brian

Yes, I did think about pivoting it from the ceiling but I have a wife
who's a little more of a traditionalist than I am.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you not considered making your own bracket. Two metal frames with a vertical hinge at one end, the front frame designed to match the fixing holes on the TV the rear frame fastened to the wall swing it out like a door. Easily available MS tubing would do the job and if you cannot weld the brackets then pop rivets can be used to join up the steel sections. A lot of brackets on the market are frankly over engineered more to assure the user of their safety than function. Most TVs are quite light our 55" is a fraction of the weight of the 40" it replaced yet the bracket holding it to the wall had eight substantial bolts yet the whole thing combined probably weighs the same as a kitchen wall cupboard filled with can goods secured by only two fixings.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky has brought this to us :
Have you not considered making your own bracket. Two metal frames with a
vertical hinge at one end, the front frame designed to match the fixing holes
on the TV the rear frame fastened to the wall swing it out like a door.
Easily available MS tubing would do the job and if you cannot weld the
brackets then pop rivets can be used to join up the steel sections. A lot of
brackets on the market are frankly over engineered more to assure the user of
their safety than function. Most TVs are quite light our 55" is a fraction of
the weight of the 40" it replaced yet the bracket holding it to the wall had
eight substantial bolts yet the whole thing combined probably weighs the same
as a kitchen wall cupboard filled with can goods secured by only two fixings.

It hardly seems worth the effort of DIYing a bracket, for the sake of
sub £18 ready made. This is the one I bought and suggests it is good
for up to 60" and 45Kg. Though in part of the description, it suggests
up to 70" screen.

It does need good solid fixings onto a suitable wall. I used 6mm
expanding bolts (Rawlbolts) for the top three fixings, taking the
weight, then large plugs and screws for the lower fixings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 02:08:20 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

Have you not considered making your own bracket. Two metal frames with a vertical hinge at one end, the front frame designed to match the fixing holes on the TV the rear frame fastened to the wall swing it out like a door. Easily available MS tubing would do the job and if you cannot weld the brackets then pop rivets can be used to join up the steel sections. A lot of brackets on the market are frankly over engineered more to assure the user of their safety than function. Most TVs are quite light our 55" is a fraction of the weight of the 40" it replaced yet the bracket holding it to the wall had eight substantial bolts yet the whole thing combined probably weighs the same as a kitchen wall cupboard filled with can goods secured by only two fixings.

Richard

I really appreciate all the inspired ideas but has anyone got any
recommendations for good quality furniture glides?
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Can't recommend, but I would try these if I were trying to do what you a
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rectangular...926 5&sr=1-17
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Richard, I've seen these and similar on Amazon but I'm getting
a bit wary of Amazon reviews, so was hoping for some first hand
experiences. Still, they're inexpensive, so I'll do a trial run.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On a recent episode of the C5 gadget show, they were at a
consumer electronics expo and looked at a TV that unrolled
and rose up vertically, a bit like and old fashioned
portable screen for film projection.

Perhaps the OP actually needs a smaller tv ???

On 04/07/2019 07:43, Brian Gaff wrote:
Is this some kind of modified rabbit hutch?

I guess the ceilings ar too low to use pulleys to raise it up or bring the
bottom up to tilt it?
I have seen that done, but it does cause issues for the wiring!
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You can buy adhesive felt pads in lots of DIY stores. Ditto
those castor wheel cups that also have a felt pad in contact
with the floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 03/07/2019 20:47, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Mike Halmarack explained on 03/07/2019 :
The sideboard is quite lightweight but the TV increases this quite a
bit. I've seen mixed reviews about the quality and prices of furniture
glides that are suitable for use on short pile carpet and hope someone
with experience can recommend suitable ones.
My experience with castors for this kind of job has shown them to be a
bit juddery at times.

Have you thought of wall mounting the TV - my 50" is on a bracket, fixed
to the wall. The folding bracket allows the TV to be pushed tight
against the wall, or pulled out around 18" at full extension.

I've been pleased with my brackets too.

I really enjoyed having my last TV on a bracket.

It's some time since Hinge and Bracket were on tv though ..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Why can't it go on the wall opposite your settee ?. Or is your
settee in the best place ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whatever you do though you end up with tram lines in the carpet pile or
excessive wear. I tried this with a speaker and soon stopped doing it, you
are right castors, even the double width ones are juddery and often make it
impossible to get back to exactly the same spot as well.
What you need is a hovercraft!!

Brian

Fortunately I'm on the Isle of Wight so that shouldn't be too much of
a problem.

well at least you won't be complaining about TV reception then :-)
(apart from irritating frogs from afar).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've ordered some screw on pads now. they're not particularly
expensive, so if they don't do the job well enough, no great loss.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There's only one thing bigger than the TV and that's the settee, so
the positioning possibilities are limited there too.
The settee is great for sleeping on and the TV programmes are mostly
suitable for sleeping through.
The TV makes for the best computer monitor I ever had though.
--

Mike

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

While my HAzro 24 inch IPS computer monitor is my main TV
(connected to a Humax HD FOX stb with hdmi) !. Nice sharp
picture and lots of adjustments to get the colours 'right'.