Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Drooping Ceiling Paper

Hi,

During the warmer humid weather we get during the summer months, I find
the embossed ceiling paper in the lounge and bedrooms tends to sag a bit
in places. It won't be much longer before a strip comes off altogether.
The easiest way to fix this would be to tease the loose ends away and
downwards, then paste the *ceiling* and use a brush to press the paper
back in position. It would be much better to do this before it peels away
completely as I'll never get it precisely in the right place again. It
was done by a pro 7 years ago and I don't have that skill.
Will the method above (pasting the ceiling instead of the paper) work OK
or is there some issue I've overlooked here?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 July 2019 00:27:33 UTC+1, Al wrote:
Hi,

During the warmer humid weather we get during the summer months, I find
the embossed ceiling paper in the lounge and bedrooms tends to sag a bit
in places. It won't be much longer before a strip comes off altogether.
The easiest way to fix this would be to tease the loose ends away and
downwards, then paste the *ceiling* and use a brush to press the paper
back in position. It would be much better to do this before it peels away
completely as I'll never get it precisely in the right place again. It
was done by a pro 7 years ago and I don't have that skill.
Will the method above (pasting the ceiling instead of the paper) work OK
or is there some issue I've overlooked here?

TIA

IME trying to restick wallpaper back on fails.
For the paste to work, it depends on the paper being porous to let the paste dry out.
The residue of old paste on the paper stops it from drying out.
So short of using some "permanent" glue, I've been reduced to using drawing pins.
(Permanent glues make it hard to replace the paper.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 00:27, Al wrote:

Hi,

During the warmer humid weather we get during the summer months, I find
the embossed ceiling paper in the lounge and bedrooms tends to sag a bit
in places. It won't be much longer before a strip comes off altogether.
The easiest way to fix this would be to tease the loose ends away and
downwards, then paste the *ceiling* and use a brush to press the paper
back in position. It would be much better to do this before it peels away
completely as I'll never get it precisely in the right place again. It
was done by a pro 7 years ago and I don't have that skill.
Will the method above (pasting the ceiling instead of the paper) work OK
or is there some issue I've overlooked here?

TIA

You may have very little success.

Is it just the edges or the middle of the paper roll that is coming
away? Has the embossed paper been over painted?

If painted and it's the middle of the roll that's coming away then as
soon as you try and pull the paper away from the ceiling to apply new
paste the weight of the painted paper is likely to start pulling the
whole strip from the ceiling.

If its just the edges then

i) Perhaps use a stronger paste as sold for "paste the wall"

https://www.screwfix.com/p/solvite-p...oll-pack/98884

ii) Tackle one edge at a time or adjoining two edges. Ease the edge of
the paper away from the ceiling and with a narrow brush paste the paper
and the ceiling. Push in as much paste as you can. DO NOT try and stick
the two back together immediately. Wait 15 minutes to allow the paste to
soak into the back of the paper.

iii) Re-apply paste if it dries out.

iv) After 15 minutes re-stick the paper to the ceiling by pushing out
any excess paste, starting from the furthest part away from the edge.
Have a damp rag/tea towel ready to catch the excess paste, cleanup and
help smooth down the paper.

I've had limited success with this method is prolonging adhesion of the
ceiling paper for a couple of years but in the end if its starting to
come away now then it will not be too long for another area to start
failing.

On the same subject, if papering a ceiling I do recommend a paste the
wall paper and appropriate paste, not forgetting to thoroughly size the
ceiling as preparation. Pasting the ceiling means that that the paper
being stuck up is a LOT lightener to handle. If attempting to disguise
(small) imperfections then a couple of layers of Erfurt wallrock
fibreliner works - again not forgetting to size the first layer before
pasting the second layer.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erfurt-wa...mm-x-20m/1506p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Al formulated :
Will the method above (pasting the ceiling instead of the paper) work OK
or is there some issue I've overlooked here?

That is often due to the paste being to thin, or a steamy, or damp
atmosphere in the room.

It will not work just pasting the ceiling, the paper itself needs a
good soaking with paste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 00:27, Al wrote:

Hi,

During the warmer humid weather we get during the summer months, I find
the embossed ceiling paper in the lounge and bedrooms tends to sag a bit
in places. It won't be much longer before a strip comes off altogether.
The easiest way to fix this would be to tease the loose ends away and
downwards, then paste the *ceiling* and use a brush to press the paper
back in position. It would be much better to do this before it peels away
completely as I'll never get it precisely in the right place again. It
was done by a pro 7 years ago and I don't have that skill.
Will the method above (pasting the ceiling instead of the paper) work OK
or is there some issue I've overlooked here?

TIA

Years ago I had a little tube of "glue" that was intended to stick down
loose edges and corners of wallpaper, e.g. in window reveals, doorways,
etc. It was just PVA diluted to "yoghourt" consistency and worked very
well even on painted paper.

Not sure if your problem is caused by moisture or perhaps by loosening
of a friable surface, but I think I'd go for PVA rather than traditional
paste in your case too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 03/07/2019 06:48, harry wrote:

IME trying to restick wallpaper back on fails.
For the paste to work, it depends on the paper being porous to let the paste dry out.
The residue of old paste on the paper stops it from drying out.
So short of using some "permanent" glue, I've been reduced to using drawing pins.
(Permanent glues make it hard to replace the paper.)

Curiously, I've had a lot of success using Pritt Sticks. It's the sort
of glue that's used in offices, and it's solid so drying is not such an
issue. It has excellent 'grab'.

It's quite expensive for large areas, but you may find you just need a
few dabs in the middle plus a careful application round the edges.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7/3/2019 11:10 AM, GB wrote:

Curiously, I've had a lot of success using Pritt Sticks. It's the sort
of glue that's used in offices, and it's solid so drying is not such an
issue. It has excellent 'grab'.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:19:02 +0100, newshound wrote:

Years ago I had a little tube of "glue" that was intended to stick down
loose edges and corners of wallpaper, e.g. in window reveals, doorways,
etc. It was just PVA diluted to "yoghourt" consistency and worked very
well even on painted paper.

Not sure if your problem is caused by moisture or perhaps by loosening
of a friable surface, but I think I'd go for PVA rather than traditional
paste in your case too.

In my case it's 100% due to high humidity. If we'd had better ventilation
it may well have remained in place *years* longer than it has.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al brought next idea :
In my case it's 100% due to high humidity. If we'd had better ventilation
it may well have remained in place *years* longer than it has.

Why is the humidity high?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Wed, 03 Jul 2019 18:40:28 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Al brought next idea :
In my case it's 100% due to high humidity. If we'd had better
ventilation it may well have remained in place *years* longer than it
has.

Why is the humidity high?

'cos

a) it's Lancashire in Summer,

and b) Poor ventilation

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 19:00, Al wrote:
'cos

a) it's Lancashire in Summer,

and b) Poor ventilation

Lancashire you probably can't fix - but why is the ventilation poor?

Can't you open a window?

(we get damp problems in the winter, when we don't want to open a
window. We bought a dehumidifier)

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 21:20:08 +0100, Vir Campestris wrote:

Lancashire you probably can't fix - but why is the ventilation poor?

Can't you open a window?

It's on the other side of the house, so if some scally climbed through it
to rob us, we'd never know.

I supposed one of those adjustable vent thingies would help a lot, but
they're quite a big deal to install and the last time we tried to do
something similar, we got a blizzard of polystyrene pellets from the
cavity insulation. Don't want that again!

VCI Rust Proof Paper Paper fred[_8_] UK diy 2 June 13th 17 08:07 AM
Ceiling paper sweetheart UK diy 4 April 10th 10 02:50 PM
What's the difference between Red Rosin paper and Brown builders paper? blueman Home Repair 2 July 16th 09 06:35 AM
Paper Shredder problem with paper detect circuitry Father Guido Electronics Repair 9 June 18th 08 11:02 AM
removed wall paper and drywall paper came off with it PipeDown Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 04:01 AM