Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY question?

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:
Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Don't they have shutters on the live/neutral which are opened by
insertion of both those pins - or all 3 pins - and /not/ by the earth
pin alone?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:
Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Sadly most multiway extension leads are like this and have been so for a
number of years. Apparently there's a loophole in the standards that
permits it and penny pinching manufacturers have taken the opportunity
to shave a few pence of their costs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 15:24, Robin wrote:

Don't they have shutters on the live/neutral which are opened by
insertion of both those pins - or all 3 pins - and /not/ by the earth
pin alone?

Don't know about the Ikea ones but none of the ones I've come across do
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 July 2019 15:03:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Maybe the shutters are there you just can't see them.

I;ve one on my desk and from the same angle I can;t see the shutters unless I stand above the block, then I can see the red shutters. This block has been passed by our PAT tester.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy
for kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Maybe the shutters are there you just can't see them.

I;ve one on my desk and from the same angle I can;t see the shutters
unless I stand above the block, then I can see the red shutters. This
block has been passed by our PAT tester.

But do they open when you put a plug in upside down?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 16:20, dennis@home wrote:
snip

But do they open when you put a plug in upside down?

All of mine do. But then I'm a dare-devil sort of guy.

Cheers
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 July 2019 16:20:02 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 02/07/2019 16:11, whisky-dave wrote:
On Tuesday, 2 July 2019 15:03:43 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/
?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy
for kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Maybe the shutters are there you just can't see them.

I;ve one on my desk and from the same angle I can;t see the shutters
unless I stand above the block, then I can see the red shutters. This
block has been passed by our PAT tester.

But do they open when you put a plug in upside down?

Yes, you have to force them a bit.
I didnlt think that being able to release the shutters by sticking something in the Earth socket wasa PAT test fail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many do not, as i just pushed one of those American round pin plugs into one
bought from a high street store by using a screwdriver into the earth hole,
then removing it when the plug was in.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Robin" wrote in message
On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:
Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/
?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for kids
to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Don't they have shutters on the live/neutral which are opened by insertion
of both those pins - or all 3 pins - and /not/ by the earth pin alone?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To be honest, you can only protect people from stupidity up to a point.
Where that point is is debatable I think. I'm sure we have all experienced
wiring in foreign parts.
Brian

--
----- --

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 02/07/2019 16:20, dennis@home wrote:
snip

But do they open when you put a plug in upside down?

All of mine do. But then I'm a dare-devil sort of guy.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its not according to the lads that did our talking newspaper studio. However
some of the iec cables were rejected due to the poor strain reliefs and a
couple for having unshrouded plugs on them.
Brian

--
----- --

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 15:03:42 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

CPC also sell a range of multiways where a rotated plug fully inserted
only into the earth pin opens the L&N shutters

iirc they carry an approval number

It's a glaring loophole *if* the standard permits this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

CPC also sell a range of multiways where a rotated plug fully inserted
only into the earth pin opens the L&N shutters

iirc they carry an approval number

It's a glaring loophole *if* the standard permits this.

TBH you can count the number of people killed by this by counting the
fingers on a lepers hand.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

CPC also sell a range of multiways where a rotated plug fully inserted
only into the earth pin opens the L&N shutters

iirc they carry an approval number

It's a glaring loophole *if* the standard permits this.

The standard doesn't directly permit it, but it doesn't specifically
prohibit it either. It was written to cover wall mounted sockets where
this is not a problem and multiway extension leads were probably never
considered in the early days. Even so, until fairly recently, multi-ways
were wide enough to prevent this. It is only since the far East has been
doing their own design work that this problem has occurred.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 22:29:29 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Even so, until fairly recently, multi-ways were wide enough to prevent
this.

Nope, have several old, as in 1980's vintage, 4 way socket strips
where the plug will fully seat when inverted.

Also played with a variety of other sockets, wall and cable mounted.
On some the shutter on L & N is fully open with only the extra length
of the earth pin inserted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/07/2019 00:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 22:29:29 +0100, Steve Walker wrote:

Even so, until fairly recently, multi-ways were wide enough to prevent
this.

Nope, have several old, as in 1980's vintage, 4 way socket strips
where the plug will fully seat when inverted.

Fair enough.

The couple of older ones that I still have are too wide for that and it
is only since the cheap versions from China and the like that I began
seeing the slimline ones, but they obviously must have been around a lot
longer.

Also played with a variety of other sockets, wall and cable mounted.
On some the shutter on L & N is fully open with only the extra length
of the earth pin inserted.

Mine (a variety of makes) will open partly, but not fully.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/
?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

CPC also sell a range of multiways where a rotated plug fully inserted
only into the earth pin opens the L&N shutters

iirc they carry an approval number

It's a glaring loophole *if* the standard permits this.

TBH you can count the number of people killed by this by counting the
fingers on a lepers hand.

You seem to be absolutely correct. Methinks the OP is getting his
knickers in a twist over nothing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd love to show you a photo I took in a Brazilian
back-packers 'hotel', where there was an instant
electric shower head, with integral heater, over
the toilet, at a height where a typical south
american could use it without touching but not
a typical european.

230 Volts and the connection was just twisted bare
wires. Not even any insulation tape.

Andrew

On 02/07/2019 17:54, Brian Gaff wrote:
To be honest, you can only protect people from stupidity up to a point.
Where that point is is debatable I think. I'm sure we have all experienced
wiring in foreign parts.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 July 2019 16:21:59 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

I'd love to show you a photo I took in a Brazilian
back-packers 'hotel', where there was an instant
electric shower head, with integral heater, over
the toilet, at a height where a typical south
american could use it without touching but not
a typical european.

230 Volts and the connection was just twisted bare
wires. Not even any insulation tape.

Andrew

common practice in south america. They don't seem to give a whatsit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Jul 2019 16:21:28 +0100, Andrew wrote:

I'd love to show you a photo I took in a Brazilian back-packers 'hotel',
where there was an instant electric shower head, with integral heater,
over the toilet, at a height where a typical south american could use it
without touching but not a typical european.

230 Volts and the connection was just twisted bare wires. Not even any
insulation tape.

I'm sure I've seen videos on YT of that place or something very similar
in the same neck of the woods. Horrifying!

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 20:37, Pamela wrote:

Worst of all are extension with sockets so close together that bulkier plugs
won't fit.

13A plugs will probably fit but what doesn't are some wall warts that
are larger than "standard" plug tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2019 23:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I'm sure I've seen videos on YT of that place or something very similar
in the same neck of the woods. Horrifying!

Search youtube for "suicide showers"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Jul 2019 07:46:10 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 05/07/2019 23:31, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I'm sure I've seen videos on YT of that place or something very similar
in the same neck of the woods. Horrifying!

Search youtube for "suicide showers"

Sounds like an appropriate search term!

--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
writes
On 02/07/2019 20:37, Pamela wrote:

Worst of all are extension with sockets so close together that
bulkier plugs
won't fit.

13A plugs will probably fit but what doesn't are some wall warts that
are larger than "standard" plug tops.

Why do wall warts almost invariably have the output lead coming out of
the top?
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Well they don't meet BS1363-2 (not enough space round the pins), so they
are certainly questionable. However they are much the same as so many
others, and no one seems to care...

I have not tried those specific ones, but many I have seen only need to
earth pin to open the shutters.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/07/2019 20:34, bert wrote:
In article , alan_m
writes
On 02/07/2019 20:37, Pamela wrote:

Â*Worst of all are extension with sockets so close together that
bulkier plugs
won't fit.

13A plugs will probably fit but what doesn't are some wall warts that
are larger than "standard" plug tops.

Why do wall warts almost invariably have the output lead coming out of
the top?

IME they don't - I see a mixture of styles, but with a bias toward lead
out of the bottom.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 July 2019 16:21:59 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
I'd love to show you a photo I took in a Brazilian
back-packers 'hotel', where there was an instant
electric shower head, with integral heater, over
the toilet, at a height where a typical south
american could use it without touching but not
a typical european.

230 Volts and the connection was just twisted bare
wires. Not even any insulation tape.

Did they have an exposed "knife switch" to turn it on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:29:50 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Well they don't meet BS1363-2 (not enough space round the pins), so they
are certainly questionable. However they are much the same as so many
others, and no one seems to care...

I have not tried those specific ones, but many I have seen only need to
earth pin to open the shutters.

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:29:50 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2019 15:03, dennis@home wrote:

Should Ikea be selling these
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/koppla-...hite-30412033/ ?

You can fit a plug up side down to open the shutters so its easy for
kids to poke stuff inside the live.

I though it was illegal but maybe the law has changed?

Well they don't meet BS1363-2 (not enough space round the pins), so they
are certainly questionable. However they are much the same as so many
others, and no one seems to care...

I have not tried those specific ones, but many I have seen only need to
earth pin to open the shutters.

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.

And of course there is global warming, which was actually caused by the
EU, not human CO2 production as suggested by treasonous remainers.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:37:58 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.

So what was the previous standard and how did it change to make fridges
more combustible?

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 08:19:19 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:37:58 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.

So what was the previous standard and how did it change to make fridges
more combustible?

Our previous (BS) standard had all metal cabinets and mineral wool insulation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2019 08:26, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 08:19:19 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:37:58 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.

So what was the previous standard and how did it change to make fridges
more combustible?

Our previous (BS) standard had all metal cabinets and mineral wool insulation.

Do you want to provide a reference to prove that?

They were made of cheap pressed steel because the machine tools to make
them out of plastic weren't about.

As soon as they were manufacturers chose the cheaper option as did
consumers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 12:31:15 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 04/09/2019 08:26, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 September 2019 08:19:19 UTC+1, wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 September 2019 18:37:58 UTC+1, harry wrote:

A lot of our standards were subsumed by inferior EC standards.
Eg fridges that catch fire.

So what was the previous standard and how did it change to make fridges
more combustible?

Our previous (BS) standard had all metal cabinets and mineral wool insulation.

Do you want to provide a reference to prove that?

They were made of cheap pressed steel because the machine tools to make
them out of plastic weren't about.

As soon as they were manufacturers chose the cheaper option as did
consumers.

Ah, lemme see. Soft sheet plastics have been with us since at least the 60s, along with the stamping machines to cut them to shape en masse. Yet the move from metal backs to plastic happened when?

NT