Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How old is your electricity meter?

Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical
one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in
September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2019 18:45, newshound wrote:
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical
one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

They should be recalibrated after 20 years.

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in
September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

Which probably doesn't mean much in these days of subbed out meter
reading. When I worked for an Electricity Board, the meter readers were
expected to check such things.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound writes
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional
electromechanical one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct
in September 1968.

English Electric was split up. Computer side to ICL Power to GEC. I
think some (trains?) went to AEI and aerospace to BAC?
It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2019 18:45, newshound wrote:
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical
one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in
September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

My electric meter was replaced at the beginning of 1995 (traditional
electro-mechanical with spinning disk made by Landis and GYR) and the
gas in 1987.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably almost as old. I had a new one put in when I got storage heating as
part of the deal, it has a disc and a couple of winking leds I'm told.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
news
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical
one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in
September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Apparently the meter readers all work for a private company which most if
not all the companies pay to do the work. There seem to be two teams, one
that circulates around and around and another targeted by appointment.
Unfortunately, often they do not communicate so you find one arrives just
after the appointment one has been making it a waste of time.
Brian

--
----- --

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 20/06/2019 18:45, newshound wrote:
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional electromechanical
one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

They should be recalibrated after 20 years.

Made by English Electric, which (according to Wikipedia) went defunct in
September 1968.

It has been seen regularly by Meter Readers.

Which probably doesn't mean much in these days of subbed out meter
reading. When I worked for an Electricity Board, the meter readers were
expected to check such things.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/06/2019 19:45, Nightjar wrote:
On 20/06/2019 18:45, newshound wrote:
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional
electromechanical one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

They should be recalibrated after 20 years.

A few have extended periods - a very few up to 40 years.

But as they tend to slow down (under-read) with age I'd not rush to
complain.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 09:31, Robin wrote:
On 20/06/2019 19:45, Nightjar wrote:
On 20/06/2019 18:45, newshound wrote:
Prompted by another thread, I still have a traditional
electromechanical one with the spinning disk.

It has a sticker saying "Tested 8/88"

They should be recalibrated after 20 years.

A few have extended periods - a very few up to 40 years.

But as they tend to slow down (under-read) with age I'd not rush to
complain.

Yes, I wasn't planning to complain. And I shall continue to resist smart
metering until I am sure SMETS2 is available and working properly.

I wonder how the missing of the smart meter target will be fudged.
That's if anyone even notices, with the political chaos that I fear we
are heading for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 10:43, newshound wrote:
Yes, I wasn't planning to complain. And I shall continue to resist smart
metering until I am sure SMETS2 is available and working properly.

I wonder how the missing of the smart meter target will be fudged.
That's if anyone even notices, with the political chaos that I fear we
are heading for.

Our LCD display meter just passed 10 years. We got a letter - you need a
new meter. No WAY am I having a SMETS 1 meter - so we've just ignored
the letter. There are more important things.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2019 21:43, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 21/06/2019 10:43, newshound wrote:
Yes, I wasn't planning to complain. And I shall continue to resist smart
metering until I am sure SMETS2 is available and working properly.

I wonder how the missing of the smart meter target will be fudged.
That's if anyone even notices, with the political chaos that I fear we
are heading for.

Our LCD display meter just passed 10 years. We got a letter - you need a
new meter. No WAY am I having a SMETS 1 meter - so we've just ignored
the letter. There are more important things.

We've just had a SMETS2 installed (the outgoing mechanical meter was
1982 vintage) and were told that they're no longer installing SMETS1.

Not exactly an issue-free event with the flexible connector of the gas
meter at full stretch and with a sharp bend, and the electric meter
still not registered with the energy company or the IHD after four weeks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

electric meter still not registered with [...] the IHD after four
weeks.

Surely the installer shouldn't leave the job until that's working?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2019 07:57, Andy Burns wrote:
F wrote:

electric meter still not registered with [...] the IHD after four
weeks.

Surely the installer shouldn't leave the job until that's working?

'It can take a few hours'...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Surely the installer shouldn't leave the job until that's working?

'It can take a few hours'...

with my SMETS1, he put the electric meter into "pairing mode" then
entered a code into the IHD and they were linked and working.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 09:31, Robin wrote:

They should be recalibrated after 20 years.

A few have extended periods - a very few up to 40 years.

But as they tend to slow down (under-read) with age I'd not rush to
complain.

Some even go backwards when solar panels are exporting to the grid just
like a battery of absolute efficiency with infinite capacity but free
and takes up no space.

So I've heard...