Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default adhesive

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

--
Take the dog out to email
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

--
Take the dog out to email

TPE is a bit of a blanket term that covers a range of materials.
Provided there isn't too much "peeling" force on it I would expect an
"evostik" type product to work, or possibly superglue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are you sure its not the actual substance that is disintegrating leaving a
film of the rubber on the substrate? This will never glue back as all that
will happen is another layer of powdered perished rubber comes off.
Its a bit like foam backed carpet or worse those sticky plasticized
coatings one gets on binoculars.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

--
Take the dog out to email

TPE is a bit of a blanket term that covers a range of materials. Provided
there isn't too much "peeling" force on it I would expect an "evostik"
type product to work, or possibly superglue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

The best results I've had (camera grip) have been with double-sided
adhesive tape. It still starts peeling away after a few weeks' though.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2019 11:34, Nick Odell wrote:
On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it.

I'd say you are wrong

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

The best results I've had (camera grip) have been with double-sided
adhesive tape. It still starts peeling away after a few weeks' though.

Nick

Cancel that.

The grip came off (again)
I double-sided taped it (again) and it fell off right away.
I cleaned it and degreased it and used "real" Evostik and..
....it fell off right away.
Aww... Who needs a rubber grip on a camera anyway?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Nick Odell
writes
On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

The best results I've had (camera grip) have been with double-sided
adhesive tape. It still starts peeling away after a few weeks' though.
Nick

Cancel that.

The grip came off (again)
I double-sided taped it (again) and it fell off right away.
I cleaned it and degreased it and used "real" Evostik and..
...it fell off right away.
Aww... Who needs a rubber grip on a camera anyway?

You could try polyurethane wood glue. Gluing up a door frame yesterday,
some dripped onto my cheap plastic *gumboots* There's a word from the
past:-)
This morning I tried to peel it off and found it well stuck. In the
past, I have tried repairing these boots as they crack at the flexure
points after 12 months daily use. Hot melt, tyre cement etc. simply peel
off.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

Who needs a rubber grip on a camera anyway?

You could try polyurethane wood glue.

got any shoe-goo lurking in a drawer?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/06/2019 22:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Nick Odell wrote:

Who needs a rubber grip on a camera anyway?

You could try polyurethane wood glue.

got any shoe-goo lurking in a drawer?

Both good ideas. But lurking shoe goo has probably dried out a bit and
acquired the viscosity of chewing gum, so more difficult to squeeze flat
nicely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 22:31:28 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Nick Odell
writes
On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

[...]

I'd try some Seriously strong stuff ultimate adhesive. Have used it for a few things and it was impressive. Example, sticking rearview mirror onto screen in car. Lasted longer than the original - at least until we disposed of the car. At least as good as the purpose-sold stuff. Only downside was slower at setting in winter.

Advantage of being cheaper - well, when you take into account amount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/06/2019 11:16, Mike wrote:

My mobile phone has a "rubber" casing fixed to its plastic body, which
is coming unstuck. The internet says (so it must be true) that the
casing is TPE. I say that Evostik doesn't adhere to it. Has anyone
succesfully glued TPE onto a rigid substrate? With what?

The best results I've had (camera grip) have been with double-sided
adhesive tape. It still starts peeling away after a few weeks' though.

Nick

Cancel that.

The grip came off (again)
I double-sided taped it (again) and it fell off right away.
I cleaned it and degreased it and used "real" Evostik and..
...it fell off right away.
Aww... Who needs a rubber grip on a camera anyway?

Nick

Gorilla? Seems to stick to most things.