UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old June 14th 19, 11:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 648
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

I've had a Saniflo Sanishower tor over three years to pump waste from a
garage sink to the main foul water pipe about 120cm above it. It has
worked perfectly. during that time.

It is in a double-cupboard under the sink, which I guess was the
previous owner's kitchen reject when a new kitchen was installed years
ago. This morning I noticed a smell in the cupboard - that slightly
sewer-like smell of standing wastewater. I checked the pump inlet and
outlet, and the area around the pump, but there was no water to be seen.
It was then I noticed that a cap on top of the pump body (probably
covering an air-bleed to the pressure switch) was missing. That cap is
white plastic, about 4 cm in diameter, and a cm or so deep in the centre
where it fits into a hole on the top of the pump. I've taken everything
out of that cupboard and looked around it, but that bloody cap is
nowhere to be seen! There is no way it could have broken and fallen into
the pump body. So where is it? In a parallel universe?

Anyway, I contacted Saniflo and a new cap is on its way. Their support
was excellent.

--

Jeff

  #2   Report Post  
Old June 14th 19, 08:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2019
Posts: 267
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:35:46 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Yep. Happens quite a lot. And especially to me.




--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!
  #3   Report Post  
Old June 14th 19, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2013
Posts: 6,031
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On 14/06/2019 11:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
I've had a Saniflo Sanishower tor over three years to pump waste from a
garage sink to the main foul water pipe about 120cm above it. It has
worked perfectly. during that time.

It is in a double-cupboard under the sink, which I guess was the
previous owner's kitchen reject when a new kitchen was installed years
ago. This morning I noticed a smell in the cupboard - that slightly
sewer-like smell of standing wastewater. I checked the pump inlet and
outlet, and the area around the pump, but there was no water to be seen.
It was then I noticed that a cap on top of the pump body (probably
covering an air-bleed to the pressure switch) was missing. That cap is
white plastic, about 4 cm in diameter, and a cm or so deep in the centre
where it fits into a hole on the top of the pump. I've taken everything
out of that cupboard and looked around it, but that bloody cap is
nowhere to be seen! There is no way it could have broken and fallen into
the pump body. So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Same place as all the biros and odd socks.


  #4   Report Post  
Old June 14th 19, 09:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,228
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

Have you had anyone cleaning in the place recently? The common solutions are
the right ones. Its been found and binned as probably belonging to some
bottle no longer used since most people will not have seen the item away
from its normal place. Chances are it went brittle and was broken which was
why it fell out.
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
...
I've had a Saniflo Sanishower tor over three years to pump waste from a
garage sink to the main foul water pipe about 120cm above it. It has
worked perfectly. during that time.

It is in a double-cupboard under the sink, which I guess was the previous
owner's kitchen reject when a new kitchen was installed years ago. This
morning I noticed a smell in the cupboard - that slightly sewer-like smell
of standing wastewater. I checked the pump inlet and outlet, and the area
around the pump, but there was no water to be seen. It was then I noticed
that a cap on top of the pump body (probably covering an air-bleed to the
pressure switch) was missing. That cap is white plastic, about 4 cm in
diameter, and a cm or so deep in the centre where it fits into a hole on
the top of the pump. I've taken everything out of that cupboard and looked
around it, but that bloody cap is nowhere to be seen! There is no way it
could have broken and fallen into the pump body. So where is it? In a
parallel universe?

Anyway, I contacted Saniflo and a new cap is on its way. Their support was
excellent.

--

Jeff



  #5   Report Post  
Old June 14th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: May 2011
Posts: 1,834
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On 14/06/2019 20:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:35:46 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Yep. Happens quite a lot. And especially to me.


Usually screwdrivers for me. Sit on the floor and remove an accessory
from a back-box; disconnect cabling; open packaging of replacement
accessory; look for scrwedriver that I have just been using and it has
moved to the far side of the room. I am sure that I have remained seated
at the same location throughout, so how has it moved?

SteveW


  #6   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,385
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

In article , Steve Walker
wrote:

On 14/06/2019 20:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:35:46 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Yep. Happens quite a lot. And especially to me.


Usually screwdrivers for me. Sit on the floor and remove an accessory
from a back-box; disconnect cabling; open packaging of replacement
accessory; look for scrwedriver that I have just been using and it has
moved to the far side of the room. I am sure that I have remained seated
at the same location throughout, so how has it moved?


You're lucky it's only moved that far.

--
"What causes poverty?" Wrong question. Poverty is our primordial state. The
real question is, "What causes wealth?"

Hint: it ain't Socialism.
  #7   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2014
Posts: 974
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On 14/06/2019 21:10, newshound wrote:
On 14/06/2019 11:35, Jeff Layman wrote:

There is no way it could have broken
and fallen into the pump body. So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Same place as all the biros and odd socks.


There is a theory somewhere that if all the biros and socks lost were
simultaneously found and stacked, humans would have to migrate and live
on another planet.

--
Adrian C
  #8   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 09:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2009
Posts: 34,089
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On 14/06/2019 20:34, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 11:35:46 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

So where is it? In a parallel universe?


Yep. Happens quite a lot. And especially to me.


Very strong dinmensional warp around the houses of parlieament at the moment


Unicorns, and rainbows all over teh place. //




--
Future generations will wonder in bemused amazement that the early
twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
  #9   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 648
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

Come on Brian! This is the garage we are talking about - known in many
circles as the "Man Cave". Cleaning? If that's what I think it means,
then no. No cleaning. And I'd looked in the cupboard for something else
a couple of days previously, and there was no smell, so the loss of the
cap was very recent. It'll probably turn up miles away some time in 2029
if the worm hole reappears.

--

Jeff


On 14/06/19 21:30, Brian Gaff wrote:
Have you had anyone cleaning in the place recently? The common solutions are
the right ones. Its been found and binned as probably belonging to some
bottle no longer used since most people will not have seen the item away
from its normal place. Chances are it went brittle and was broken which was
why it fell out.
Brian



  #10   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jan 2019
Posts: 267
Default Inanimate objects and interdimensional travel

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 09:56:54 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

It'll probably turn up miles away some time in 2029
if the worm hole reappears.


Somewhere closer than we imagine, in a parallel universe, a person just
like you heard a noise behind him. He looked around and saw your cap
spinning across the floor. It came to rest. He picked it up. Where had it
come from? Out of thin air?? Surely this was impossible; a complete
mystery!

It's called an apport.

https://chloemiguel.com/apport/apport-objects-appear/




--
Leave first - THEN negotiate!


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It never rains but it pours - malicious inanimate objects SteveW[_2_] UK diy 7 December 3rd 13 09:11 AM
The innate perversity of inanimate objects Don Foreman Metalworking 74 June 12th 10 09:00 AM
the innate perversity of inanimate objects Don Foreman Metalworking 11 June 10th 10 06:26 AM
Inanimate Objects Aren't (Hand Tools Psychology) charlieb Woodworking 12 April 11th 07 05:30 AM
Dogs with habits of pissing on inanimate objects [email protected] Home Repair 5 May 9th 06 04:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017