Old June 13th 19, 05:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT cutting greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

--
Michael Chare

Old June 13th 19, 05:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050?

Nope.

What would have to be done to achieve this?* Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

This shows how much we've already cut since 1990, and how much we'd have
to cut to reach net zero

Old June 13th 19, 05:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:00:48 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion

I think the simple answer is to shift the emissions off-shore. Most
of our manufacturing takes place in China and the major emitters such
as steel could be transferred. The government could even offer a
grant!

Any remaining gas-fired stations should be relocated into
international waters to eliminate UK emissions.

Electric vehicles could be imported from Korea and returned there for
scrapping. Shipping would need battery power sufficient to take the
ship out of UK territorial waters. (I understand they already use
'clean' fuel in the EU and 'dirty' fuel once they leave.)

The alternative would be to attribute the emissions for products made
in China and elsewhere for sale in the UK to the UK stats then it
would be impossible to meet the target. This would be a more honest
representation of our lifestyle.
Old June 13th 19, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Burns
wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050?

Nope.

What would have to be done to achieve this?* Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

This shows how much we've already cut since 1990, and how much we'd have
to cut to reach net zero

We'd all have to stop breathing, too. So would all animals, birds, and
insects.

--
The reason you think government is the solution is because you think freedom is
the problem. But the truth is that government ensures that the most evil,

Alan Lovejoy
Old June 13th 19, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

The only answer I can think of is nuclear power.

Trump is making a lot of progress aided by North Korea and Iran.

The heat output will be of a pulsed nature and if there are any
survivors, their needs will be minimal.

The alternative is a global strategy everyone agrees to, a bit like
the EU single market but more stringent.

It's a good time to build a fallout shelter :-)

AB

Old June 13th 19, 05:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

This shows how much we've already cut since 1990, and how much we'd have
to cut to reach net zero

Sorry, this ...

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/B3F2/production/_106766064_climate_change_houses_640_3x-nc.png
Old June 13th 19, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:00:48 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

Population reduction. By fair means or foul. All else is ****ing in the
wind.

Start by having no kids for a couple of generations and see if that eases
pressure on resources. If not, just wait for something nasty to do it for
us.

If nature is kind, it'll render our species infertile for a bit until we
get the message. But I'd be doubtful.
Old June 13th 19, 05:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:00:48 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

Incidentally, reading a few online "discussions" on the topic (presumably
as it's fashionable again) there's a hilarious lack of comprehension
amongst the masses. They really don't seem to get that when our
ecosystems collapse, grumbling about how you are going to get to work
will seem a tad misplaced. Seems the starting point is "how can I carry
on exactly as before ?" which misses the point spectacularly.
Old June 13th 19, 06:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2019 17:43, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 17:00:48 +0100, Michael Chare wrote:

Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost
zero by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this? Nuclear
fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

Population reduction. By fair means or foul. All else is ****ing in the
wind.

Trouble is we don't even immediately send back all those who enter the
country illegally.

--
Michael Chare
Old June 13th 19, 07:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Michael Chare" wrote in message
Does anyone thing that we can cut greenhouse gas emissions to almost zero
by 2050? What would have to be done to achieve this?

Nukes for power generation and electric cars.

Nuclear fusion might help, but so far no one has got it to work properly.

Don’t need that for zero gg emissions.