Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default upside down????

was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Did you have your head a long way back in the chair? Had they
administered gas and air? What was on the telly? Was it flashbacks of
your life?

I too have had that experience.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TimW" wrote in message
On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Did you have your head a long way back in the chair? Had they administered
gas and air? What was on the telly? Was it flashbacks of your life?

I too have had that experience.

TW

no...the wife was getting treated.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 16:22, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"TimW" wrote in message
On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Did you have your head a long way back in the chair? Had they administered
gas and air? What was on the telly? Was it flashbacks of your life?

I too have had that experience.

TW

no...the wife was getting treated.......

.... to 10 inches rather than the usual three.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 June 2019 16:22:32 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"TimW" wrote in message
On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Did you have your head a long way back in the chair? Had they administered
gas and air? What was on the telly? Was it flashbacks of your life?

I too have had that experience.

TW

no...the wife was getting treated.......

I've seen those sorts of videos is that why you rarely see male dental assistants ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 06/06/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

No reason why not and sensible if the flex exits up from the socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 06/06/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

No reason why not and sensible if the flex exits up from the socket.

never seen that before......looks strange......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 06/06/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

No reason why not and sensible if the flex exits up from the socket.

never seen that before......looks strange......

Many years ago, I was led to understand that having the earth pin
uppermost meant that if the plug is not fully inserted, anything thin
and metallic drops into the gap, it hits the earth first (and probably
only the earth). But of course, for many years UK plugs have had sleeved
pins, so there is little danger regardless of how the socket is
orientated.

While UK sockets have normally been 'earth up', this is not so for some
other countries - notably the USA, which is 'earth down'. To make
matters worse, the pins are not (and probably can't really be) sleeved.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
on 06/06/2019, Jim GM4DHJ ... supposed :
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

No reason why not and sensible if the flex exits up from the socket.

never seen that before......looks strange......

Many years ago, I was led to understand that having the earth pin
uppermost meant that if the plug is not fully inserted, anything thin and
metallic drops into the gap, it hits the earth first (and probably only
the earth). But of course, for many years UK plugs have had sleeved pins,
so there is little danger regardless of how the socket is orientated.

While UK sockets have normally been 'earth up', this is not so for some
other countries - notably the USA, which is 'earth down'. To make matters
worse, the pins are not (and probably can't really be) sleeved.

Australia has always had the earth pin down and now has the other two
sleeved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 07:40:13 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Australia has always had the earth pin down and now has the other two
sleeved.

In case you STILL haven't noticed, senile asshole from Oz, this is a UK
newsgroup!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

[...]

everything down under is upside down....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

While UK sockets have normally been 'earth up', this is not so for some
other countries - notably the USA, which is 'earth down'. To make
matters worse, the pins are not (and probably can't really be) sleeved.

The Chinese seem to believe our sockets are orientated earth-pin
down. I have several Chinese wall-warts that have their rating
labels upside-down.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes

While UK sockets have normally been 'earth up', this is not so for some
other countries - notably the USA, which is 'earth down'. To make
matters worse, the pins are not (and probably can't really be) sleeved.

The Chinese seem to believe our sockets are orientated earth-pin
down. I have several Chinese wall-warts that have their rating
labels upside-down.

That's so when the socket is near the floor, you don't have to lie on
the floor to read them. Instead, you stand with your back near the wall,
bend forwards 90 degrees, and look down on them. The writing is then the
right way up for you.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes and the cable out of the other side. If you look carefully at these,
there is normally a flat twistable plate on the bottom containing the pins
and one can simply twist it off and twist on one for another land entirely,
as the ground is at the bottom in effect they assume all sockets are earth
down of course.
Some of course do not even bother with the earth simply putting in a plastic
pin instead.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message

While UK sockets have normally been 'earth up', this is not so for some
other countries - notably the USA, which is 'earth down'. To make
matters worse, the pins are not (and probably can't really be) sleeved.

The Chinese seem to believe our sockets are orientated earth-pin
down. I have several Chinese wall-warts that have their rating
labels upside-down.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Perhaps the worst thing about that might be that condensation (or
splashing) on the wires could run down into the plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2019 15:30, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down feeding
tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Yup. Sometimes it makes sense to go for an orientation other than the
normal.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't see why not, you don't say if they are switched. Plugs and sockets
are not exactly waterproof either way up but if a blind person turned it off
and turned it on instead that could be a little confusing. I guess somebody
else has wondered if it was an Australian Electrician?
Brian

--
----- --

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't see why not, you don't say if they are switched. Plugs and sockets
are not exactly waterproof either way up but if a blind person turned it
off and turned it on instead that could be a little confusing. I guess
somebody else has wondered if it was an Australian Electrician?

Much more likely that the electrician or the individual
in the dentist who specified it that way decided it looks
better that way and couldn’t care less about the very
remote possibility that one of the dental staff is blind.

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote

was at the dentist today and all the double sockets are upside down
feeding tv sets up the way...is this OK ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Jun 2019 14:14:31 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't see why not, you don't say if they are switched. Plugs and sockets
are not exactly waterproof either way up but if a blind person turned it
off and turned it on instead that could be a little confusing. I guess
somebody else has wondered if it was an Australian Electrician?

Much more likely that

Senile Mr Know-it-all knows it ALL better, again! LMAO

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.