DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plaster second coat the next day? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/636391-plaster-second-coat-next-day.html)

George Miles June 4th 19 07:48 PM

Plaster second coat the next day?

Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over plasterboards.
Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the first,
but why not tomorrow?
I'd have to smooth off any up bits with a float beforehand,
(as they'd become rocks spoiling the finish),
but are there any other reasons?

Should i wet the first coat with a paintbrush of water first?

George

Andy Burns[_13_] June 4th 19 08:43 PM

George Miles wrote:

Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over
plasterboards. Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the
first, but why not tomorrow?

I'm no plasterer, but I thought it would go off too much for the final
coat to bond well if left e.g overnight?

Jim K.. June 4th 19 09:21 PM

Andy Burns Wrote in message:

George Miles wrote:

Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over
plasterboards. Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the
first, but why not tomorrow?

I'm no plasterer, but I thought it would go off too much for the final
coat to bond well if left e.g overnight?

Or worse, catalyse your second coat to set too quickly, just when
you need it to stay workable the longest.

Mind you a lot don't get on with Multi for going off too quick
anyway iirc...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

George Miles June 5th 19 12:15 AM

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 9:23:15 PM UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:

George Miles wrote:

Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over
plasterboards. Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the
first, but why not tomorrow?

I'm no plasterer, but I thought it would go off too much for the final
coat to bond well if left e.g overnight?

Or worse, catalyse your second coat to set too quickly, just when
you need it to stay workable the longest.

Mind you a lot don't get on with Multi for going off too quick
anyway iirc...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

catalyse?
so maybe better to wait a few days until the first coat is dry before doing a second coat?

Anyhow it's not raining tomorrow so I'll be slating the roof not plastering

[george]

Jim K.. June 5th 19 08:01 AM

Andy Burns Wrote in message:

George Miles wrote:

Today I'm using orange packets of thistle multifinish over
plasterboards. Most videos show a skim coat a few hours after the
first, but why not tomorrow?

I'm no plasterer, but I thought it would go off too much for the final
coat to bond well if left e.g overnight?

Or worse, catalyse your second coat to set too quickly, just when
you need it to stay workable the longest.

Mind you a lot don't get on with Multi for going off too quick
anyway iirc...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

catalyse?
so maybe better to wait a few days until the first coat is dry before doing a second coat?

Anyhow it's not raining tomorrow so I'll be slating the roof not plastering

[george]

Good luck with all that.
--
Jim K