DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Plasterboard for behind electric fire (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/636223-plasterboard-behind-electric-fire.html)

Grumps[_4_] May 31st 19 09:53 AM

Plasterboard for behind electric fire

I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a
panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there
(wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue). Can I use
normal plasterboard or does it (should it) be the fire panel stuff like
this:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Fire-...-2-4m/p/190539
Or something else?

I don't want the expense of a marble (or other composite pretend marble)
back.

Ta.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 31st 19 10:25 AM

On 31/05/2019 09:53, Grumps wrote:
I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a
panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there
(wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue). Can I use
normal plasterboard or does it (should it) be the fire panel stuff like
this:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Fire-...-2-4m/p/190539

Or something else?

I don't want the expense of a marble (or other composite pretend marble)
back.

Ta.

You should use masterboard fireproof board

Or Ive got lots of marble sheet free to anyone who cares to pick it up
from West Suffolk.

An angle grinder with a dianmond blade or a tile cutter will cut it (slowly)

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Grumps[_4_] May 31st 19 10:36 AM

Plasterboard for behind electric fire

On 31/05/2019 09:53, Grumps wrote:
I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a
panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there
(wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue). Can I
use normal plasterboard or does it (should it) be the fire panel stuff
like this:
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Knauf-Fire-...-2-4m/p/190539

Or something else?

I don't want the expense of a marble (or other composite pretend
marble) back.

Ta.

You should use masterboard fireproof board

That seems expensive but gives you 30 mins fire protection. Knauf say
their 15mm fire panel gives you one hour.
The wall was previously just plastered behind the gas fire. Is plaster
better (acceptable) than plasterboard?

Or Ive got lots of marble sheet free to anyone who cares to pick it up
from West Suffolk.

Too far, but thanks.

[email protected] May 31st 19 02:57 PM

On Friday, 31 May 2019 09:53:56 UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a
panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there
(wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue).

Modern electric 'fires' are usually fan heaters, so don't get very hot at all, unlike the old radiant bars.

The fire surrounds themselves are usually made of chipboard or MDF.

I would think that ordinary p/board would be sufficient.

Owain

Jim K.. May 31st 19 07:01 PM

Wrote in message:
On Friday, 31 May 2019 09:53:56 UTC+1, Grumps wrote:
I am putting in a new (eBay) fireplace wooden surround and will need a
panel of some sort to cover the mess that was originally there
(wallpaper with bits missing, and a hole for a gas fire flue).

Modern electric 'fires' are usually fan heaters, so don't get very hot at all, unlike the old radiant bars.

The fire surrounds themselves are usually made of chipboard or MDF.

I would think that ordinary p/board would be sufficient.

Owain

+1 - especially if plastered up.
--
Jim K