DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Under Floor Ventilation (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/636106-under-floor-ventilation.html)

RJH[_2_] May 28th 19 10:16 PM

Under Floor Ventilation

I'm looking to improve the ventilation to a suspended timber floor with
some new vents - they'll open to an outside path that has built up over
the years to near internal floor level.

I see there's these 'periscope' type things:

https://manthorpebuildingproducts.co.uk/product/g965-dual-extended-underfloor-vent

But it seems to me they'd take a fair chunk out of the 9" solid brick
walls, and the air flow doesn't look that good.

Would flat letterbox-sized grilles over a say 10" deep 'pit' feeding a
horizontal cut through the wall below the existing floor work?

I can see the issue of debris falling in, but if the grilles are
reasonably removable I can't see that being a dire problem. If it is
doable, is there a source of grille/conduit - can't seem to see anything
online.

--
Cheers, Rob

Tim Watts[_5_] May 28th 19 11:59 PM

Under Floor Ventilation

On 28/05/2019 22:16, RJH wrote:
I'm looking to improve the ventilation to a suspended timber floor with
some new vents - they'll open to an outside path that has built up over
the years to near internal floor level.

I see there's these 'periscope' type things:

https://manthorpebuildingproducts.co.uk/product/g965-dual-extended-underfloor-vent

But it seems to me they'd take a fair chunk out of the 9" solid brick
walls, and the air flow doesn't look that good.

Would flat letterbox-sized grilles over a say 10" deep 'pit' feeding a
horizontal cut through the wall below the existing floor work?

I can see the issue of debris falling in, but if the grilles are
reasonably removable I can't see that being a dire problem. If it is
doable, is there a source of grille/conduit - can't seem to see anything
online.

I've seen "pits" down the side walls of houses with a conventional vent
in the wall 6" or so down. Older houses mind, but as long as the pit
cannot fill with rainwater, it's a solution.

--
Email does not work

Tim Lamb[_2_] May 29th 19 08:59 AM

Under Floor Ventilation

In message , Tim Watts
writes

https://manthorpebuildingproducts.co...l-extended-und
erfloor-vent But it seems to me they'd take a fair chunk out of
the 9" solid brick walls, and the air flow doesn't look that good.
Would flat letterbox-sized grilles over a say 10" deep 'pit' feeding
a horizontal cut through the wall below the existing floor work?
I can see the issue of debris falling in, but if the grilles are
reasonably removable I can't see that being a dire problem. If it is
doable, is there a source of grille/conduit - can't seem to see
anything online.

I've seen "pits" down the side walls of houses with a conventional vent
in the wall 6" or so down. Older houses mind, but as long as the pit
cannot fill with rainwater, it's a solution.

We have those. The exterior ground levels are well above damp course so
I put a pea gravel french drain round the entire house. The suspended
floor vents are protected by concrete edging. They gather a few leaves
but not much of a problem.

--
Tim Lamb

Brian Gaff May 29th 19 09:13 AM

Under Floor Ventilation

Whatever you do about things like damp courses, for goodness sake fit a fine
mesh over them. I have found wasps love to live under your floors, even
better if there are nice warm pipes under it and of course its a sod of a
job to remove the nest without ruining the floor. Bah humbug.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.

Brian Gaff May 30th 19 07:21 AM

Under Floor Ventilation

Maybe so but a load of decaying dead wasps are not a nice thing to think
about under your floor!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 May 2019 09:13:12 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Whatever you do about things like damp courses, for goodness sake fit a
fine
mesh over them. I have found wasps love to live under your floors, even
better if there are nice warm pipes under it and of course its a sod of a
job to remove the nest without ruining the floor. Bah humbug.
Brian

--

You don't need to remove the nest as such. All you have to do is spray
the air brick or whatever, where they're getting access, with a

--

Chris

[email protected] May 30th 19 08:01 AM

Under Floor Ventilation

On Thursday, 30 May 2019 07:22:02 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe so but a load of decaying dead wasps are not a nice thing to think
about under your floor!
Brian

Almost anything is not nice to think about when you're stuck under your floor.

NT

Steve Walker[_5_] May 30th 19 12:45 PM

Under Floor Ventilation

On 30/05/2019 08:01, wrote:
On Thursday, 30 May 2019 07:22:02 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
Maybe so but a load of decaying dead wasps are not a nice thing to think
about under your floor!
Brian

Almost anything is not nice to think about when you're stuck under your floor.

It can be quite restful down there - a few minutes' break, in the quiet,
while you've sent your son off to fetch something to save yourself from
having to crawl out.

SteveW