DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hive leak loss /leak detector (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635995-hive-leak-loss-leak-detector.html)

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] May 24th 19 01:23 PM

Hive leak loss /leak detector

I saw one of these cheap in a charity shop and wondered if they were
any good? They seem to clip to a pipe and connect to the wifi to report
the leakage, I guess listening to the water flow, but they claim to
detect dripping taps too, which seems a bit unlikely. Do the need some
sort of subscription to Hive, to be of any use?

Jim K.. May 24th 19 03:01 PM

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
I saw one of these cheap in a charity shop and wondered if they were
any good? They seem to clip to a pipe and connect to the wifi to report
the leakage, I guess listening to the water flow, but they claim to
detect dripping taps too, which seems a bit unlikely. Do the need some
sort of subscription to Hive, to be of any use?

Istr that is the secondary thrust of their business model...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Brian Gaff May 24th 19 08:08 PM

Hive leak loss /leak detector

This sounds like snake oil to me.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.
o.uk...

RJH[_2_] May 24th 19 08:16 PM

On 24/05/2019 13:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I saw one of these cheap in a charity shop and wondered if they were any
good? They seem to clip to a pipe and connect to the wifi to report the
leakage, I guess listening to the water flow, but they claim to detect
dripping taps too, which seems a bit unlikely. Do the need some sort of
subscription to Hive, to be of any use?

I'd guess they'd need to communicate with a Hive hub, which in turn
connects to wifi.

I've got the Hive internet thermostat which came with a hub. I looked
into peripherals like lights and motion detectors (but don't remember a
leak detector) but they were too expensive. No subscription (yet).

--
Cheers, Rob

harry May 25th 19 07:04 AM

On Friday, 24 May 2019 13:23:15 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I saw one of these cheap in a charity shop and wondered if they were
any good? They seem to clip to a pipe and connect to the wifi to report
the leakage, I guess listening to the water flow, but they claim to
detect dripping taps too, which seems a bit unlikely. Do the need some
sort of subscription to Hive, to be of any use?

This sort of device has been round for a while.
Some purport to work by detecting the high frequency whistle generated by water issuing from a small hole.

There is another one that purports to work by ignoring surges in water usage but picking up underlying constant flows. (Even if very small).

They are sold on the basis of detecting underground leaks.

Easier to read the water meter by night I think when usage should be zero in most situations.

Jim K.. May 25th 19 09:01 AM

"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
This sounds like snake oil to me.
Brian