Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best and cheapest way to make woodshed base.

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete slabs
on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16 years.
I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously with sand
as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone got
hard info?

I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will have
to fetch:-) (50 miles)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete slabs
on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16 years.
I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously with sand
as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone got
hard info?

I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will have
to fetch:-)Â* (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete
slabs on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16
years. I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously
with sand as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone
got hard info?

I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will
have to fetch:-)* (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

32. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they weigh
about 40kg each!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete
slabs on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16
years. I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously
with sand as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone
got hard info?
I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will
have to fetch:-) (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

32. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they weigh
about 40kg each!

10ft X 6 ft area?
Think you'll have a few left! ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2019 21:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete
slabsÂ* on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16
years.Â* I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with. Obviously
with sandÂ* as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look - anyone
gotÂ* hard info?
Â*I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you will
haveÂ* to fetch:-)Â* (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

32. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they weigh
about 40kg each!

I need 10 if they are 600 x 900.

400 kg.

I think the freelander would just about take that.

It's probably a bit over the top, but its not a long way.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

600x600 or more likely 24"

e-mail works.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 May 2019 08:50:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

[...]

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2019 10:15, Davidm wrote:

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Wrong assumption.

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Four people in a five seater car and luggage could easily be more than
that and even a fiat 500 can cope with that.
No wonder JLR can't sell their cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 23/05/2019 10:15, Davidm wrote:

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Wrong assumption.

On whose part?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 23/05/2019 10:15, Davidm wrote:

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Wrong assumption.

Why? It gives air movement underneath & stops rot.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2019 17:36, TMH wrote:
On 23/05/2019 10:15, Davidm wrote:

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Wrong assumption.

Why? It gives air movement underneath & stops rot.

I suspect that the assumption that the shed has a timber floor is the
one being corrected.

Hence it needs a base that will also double as an internal floor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I suspect that the assumption that the shed has a timber floor is the
one being corrected.

Hence it needs a base that will also double as an internal floor.

IIRC, it's a "woodshed" not a "wooden shed"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2019 16:44, dennis@home wrote:
[...]

That weight is not all at one end of the car normally though, but yes,
I'm sure a Freelander would take it.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2019 17:36, TMH wrote:
On 23/05/2019 10:15, Davidm wrote:

You only need them under the floor "joists" (assuming that the shed
has a timber floor), not the whole area of the shed.

Wrong assumption.

Why? It gives air movement underneath & stops rot.

Concrete doesn't rot.

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2019 22:39, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/05/2019 16:44, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/05/2019 21:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus concrete
slabsÂ* on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down 16
years.Â* I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with.
Obviously with sandÂ* as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look -
anyone gotÂ* hard info?
Â*I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you
will haveÂ* to fetch:-)Â* (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

32. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they weigh
about 40kg each!

I need 10 if they are 600 x 900.

400 kg.

I think the freelander would just about take that.

It's probably a bit over the top, but its not a long way.

Four people in a five seater car and luggage could easily be more than
that and even a fiat 500 can cope with that.
No wonder JLR can't sell their cars.

That weight is not all at one end of the car normally though, but yes,
I'm sure a Freelander would take it.

It is slightly obetr its rated limit, but I am sure it would take it

SteveW

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My car can do over 700kg so the LR is poor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes
[...]

Here to Kentford is 1 hour. 2 trips!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2019 10:38, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "dennis@home"
writes
On 23/05/2019 22:39, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/05/2019 16:44, dennis@home wrote:
On 22/05/2019 21:48, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 22/05/2019 19:07, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural
PhilosopherÂ* writes

I am thinking over the pros and cons of concrete versus
concreteÂ* slabsÂ* on mortar.

The sub base is loose gravel over MOT type 1 thats been down
16Â* years.Â* I can use the loose gravel to make concrete with.
Obviously with sandÂ* as well

Area is 3m x 1.8m

Seems to come aout around £120 no matter which way I look -
anyone gotÂ* hard info?
Â*I've got some 2" council type paving slabs going spare but you
will haveÂ* to fetch:-)Â* (50 miles)

migt be worth it, at that...enough?

32. I can probably find a use for any leftover. You know they
weighÂ* about 40kg each!

I need 10 if they are 600 x 900.

400 kg.

I think the freelander would just about take that.

It's probably a bit over the top, but its not a long way.

Four people in a five seater car and luggage could easily be more
than that and even a fiat 500 can cope with that.
No wonder JLR can't sell their cars.

That weight is not all at one end of the car normally though, but
yes,Â* I'm sure a Freelander would take it.
Â*It is slightly obetr its rated limit, but I am sure it would take it

SteveW

My car can do over 700kg so the LR is poor.

Here to Kentford is 1 hour. 2 trips!

And probably none of the vicious speed bumps that militate against
anything like a full load in London

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/05/2019 10:38, Tim Lamb wrote:

Here to Kentford is 1 hour. 2 trips!

OK Tim how thick are these?

If they are 600x600x50 they will be 40kg each..
But are they 35mm thick?

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/05/2019 10:38, Tim Lamb wrote:
Here to Kentford is 1 hour. 2 trips!

OK Tim how thick are these?

If they are 600x600x50 they will be 40kg each..
But are they 35mm thick?

They are all 50mm or 2".

On closer inspection, I see 6 are straw coloured and 600x600 the rest
are 24".

Photo at
http://s828.photobucket.com/user/Tim...5.19%20001.jpg
..html

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 24/05/2019 10:38, Tim Lamb wrote:
Here to Kentford is 1 hour. 2 trips!

OK Tim how thick are these?

If they are 600x600x50 they will be 40kg each..
But are they 35mm thick?

They are all 50mm or 2".

On closer inspection, I see 6 are straw coloured and 600x600 the rest
are 24".

Photo at
http://s828.photobucket.com/user/TimLamb/media/Slabs%2024.05.19%20001.jpg
.html