DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   touch sensitive lamp (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635897-touch-sensitive-lamp.html)

petek[_2_] May 22nd 19 12:57 PM

touch sensitive lamp

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

[email protected] May 22nd 19 01:50 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petek wrote:

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

If you don't know what the problem is you don't know how to repair it. Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the touch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

NT

petek[_2_] May 22nd 19 02:23 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 1:50:40 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petek wrote:

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

If you don't know what the problem is you don't know how to repair it. Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the touch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

NT

Yes, I've checked all the obvious stuff. My question about it being repairable could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive lamps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller?) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replaceable or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?

[email protected] May 22nd 19 02:55 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 14:23:31 UTC+1, petek wrote:
On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 1:50:40 PM UTC+1, tabb wrote:
[...]

Yes there's an internal controller. I don't know if you might find a replacement from Ebay, or if it would be safe. The alternative is to bypass the touch switch.

NT

Brian Gaff May 22nd 19 04:10 PM

touch sensitive lamp

Little bit vague. Depends on how it works. Some of the older ones merely
picked up hum through your body and could be finicky about where they were
operated, some ar capacitance operated and people used to polish them and
the dirty polish shorted out the insulators between the touch bit and the
rest making it whatever the touch equivalent of deaf might be called. Then
again even corrosion of the bit that connects to the bit you touch can do
it.
I myself never had much luck with touch switches they would come on when
not wanted, fail to turn off or just do odd things. I blame my magnetic
personality.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Brian Gaff May 22nd 19 04:14 PM

touch sensitive lamp

Some of them only need a brief touch a long touch will do nothing at all if
its off, only if its been touched to on.
What is the make of this device?
Brian

--
----- --

whisky-dave[_2_] May 22nd 19 04:18 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 14:23:31 UTC+1, petek wrote:

Yes, I've checked all the obvious stuff. My question about it being repairable could have been stated better. I don't know how these touch sensitive lamps work so I'm assuming there is some internal gismo (touch controller?) that is not functioning. If so, would it be a generic unit that is replaceable or would it be unique to the brand of lamp?

Could be, might be.... but a picture or description would help or even modle number or something.
I wouldn't have thought it'd be worth by-passing.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] May 22nd 19 04:54 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On 22/05/2019 14:23, petek wrote:
[...]

in general you can pick up hum from any metal connecteed to a human...
When I designed a similar circuit we had a cmos chip behind it to boost
and latch te signal

My giues is there si either a custom chip or a standard CMOS chip
inistde. If its custom bin it.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

Steve Walker[_5_] May 22nd 19 05:20 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petekÂ* wrote:

[...]

Bin the control and either fit a physical switch to bridge them or link
the wires and fit a switch in the lead from the plug to the lamp.

SteveW

Michael Chare[_4_] May 22nd 19 07:34 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On 22/05/2019 12:57, petek wrote:
I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

Plenty of touch sensitive switches on ebay for less than £3.

--
Michael Chare

alan_m May 22nd 19 09:24 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On 22/05/2019 12:57, petek wrote:
I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

What type is the replacement bulb. It may not work with LED or CFL.

Tim Watts[_5_] May 23rd 19 09:43 AM

touch sensitive lamp

On 22/05/2019 13:50, wrote:
On Wednesday, 22 May 2019 12:57:35 UTC+1, petek wrote:

I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

If you don't know what the problem is you don't know how to repair it. Have you checked the obvious stuff, fuse, screwed connections etc? If the touch controller is fried it may be bypassable.

NT

Yeah - probably easiest to chop it out and add a flex lamp switch. I had
a table lamp fail like this and did just that - lamp is fine now.

--
Email does not work

petek[_2_] May 25th 19 06:22 PM

touch sensitive lamp

On Wednesday, May 22, 2019 at 12:57:35 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
I have a floor standing lamp which has a touch sensitive switch. If you touch the lamp housing or upper part of the stem the lamp toggles through 2 or 3 brightness levels and on/off. It hasn't been used for some time but when I tried it the other day it is not working, i.e. it won't switch on. I've changed the bulb but still no joy. Any ideas what the problem is, and if it is repairable? TIA
Pete

Thanks everybody, looks like my best bet is to bypass whatever "internal controller" there is and fit an in-line conventional switch in the lead. For what it's worth here's a link to the make/model
https://www.endon.co.uk/products/pro...-fl-sc-hackney

Brian Gaff May 26th 19 08:26 AM

touch sensitive lamp

Well if the company do still exist surely they might want to help?
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
Today is Yesterdays Tomorrow.