Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reproducing grain.

Have a speaker cabinet which has a satin black finish. From the factory.
It's obvious by the odd scratch that it is actually simply painted teak
veneered plywood, as the majority of the same speakers have an oiled teak
finish.

Had a bash on one corner which looked horrid as it is on the top, so
pretty visible.

The ply is 12mm, so routed out about 5mm and let in a bit of ply which has
restored the shape perfectly. A triangle about an inch high.

Sanded the entire top down and repainted with satin black rattle can.
Looks a lot better, and the paint matches the original well.

But it's let down by the different grain on the patch, which is much finer
than the teak.

I could I suppose re-veneer the top (not something I've ever done) but
wondered if anyone had tips about how to 'engrave' a matching grain on
such a small bit?

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I have found if you apply a coat of "quick drying" (i.e. water borne)
varnish or wood stain, then allow it to cure a little bit before
brushing with a cheap (nylon) brush, you can leave a woodgrain like
texture in the finish. Allow that to dry then overspray with the final
colour.

(Practice on a bit of scrap ply to see what effects you can get)

Some years back I needed a wood grain effect on some MDF, and used the
same technique. I was mainly after the appearance rather than the
texture at the time, but the texture was there also:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...eWoodGrain.jpg

--
Cheers,

John.

[...]