Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fence panel brackets

I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Thanks in advance.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon T Wrote in message:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Thanks in advance.

Rebar in the post in the path of the holes?

Time for a test drill.....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:00, Simon T wrote:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Thanks in advance.

Look online for advice on drilling such posts - they have steel
reinforcing rods in them and can be difficult to drill without cracking
the post. I'd be tempted to bend a couple of metal strips to hook into
slot one side of the post and run right around the post to hook into it
again. Screw two vertical rails to the strips (or screw or weld two
steel angles) and drop them on from the top of the post, forming a new,
wooden (or metal) slot on the opposite side.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:00, Simon T wrote:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

I don't see why not. The previous owner of our house had several things
screwed (with raw type plugs) into concrete fence posts. The posts
eventually broke but no where near the screws etc. Some posts (perhaps
all?) have steel rods in the middle but, provided you miss those, just
drill with a suitable drill, stick in a rawplug (or similar), and off
you go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:00, Simon T wrote:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

I would think about glueing timber battens to the concrete posts to form
a slot. polyeurothane adhesive,g-cramps or the modern equvalent.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 May 2019 12:00:34 +0100, Simon T
wrote:

I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

If you're thinking of the U shaped brackets that the panels just slide
down into, you should be able to drill, plug and screw into the posts.
The screws don't need to be very long, as there's very little "pull"
force on them, so you probably don't need to go deep enough to hit the
steel rebar inside the posts.

You could try drilling a few test holes (near the top of the post so
as not to weaken it) to find out where the rebar is, then position the
bracket fixing holes to miss the rebar.
Thanks in advance.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:24, Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Good advice, but from looking at broken posts a common rebar layout is
(sort of) a single bar bent into a U, then bent again in the middle so
that there are four bars towards the corner of the post. That being the
case, standard plastic plug fixings in the middle of the face should be
OK. Test drilling time?

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:00, Simon T wrote:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Bad luck. Our slotted concrete posts (and some others I've seen) have
holes through them to allow them to be used for panels with wire above,
and the holes do nicely for setting threaded rod on which one can fix
wooden posts.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Somewhere I've seen a kind of upvc u shaped thing that is mounted through
non slotted posts via low profile bolts and this allows fence panels to
slide in, but although I have slide in fences, its really incredibly easy to
slide them out and then the nasty lot can just walk in and nick stuff.

I'd have thought that provided spacing are correct then brackets could be
used but the small slots left might need blocking up.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Simon T" wrote in message
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence panels
fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain on
the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one (slots
on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Thanks in advance.

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

If you've never had to try doing this why is it "bad luck" for the op?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 16:29, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

I can see why it might be. Firstly, it involves extra work to drill
holes and secondly, I have seen some posts that have cracked while
drilling as the drill has first hit metal and then been deflected
sideways - sometimes that metal can be in odd positions, bent before or
during manufacture of the posts.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shurely the op would have noticed if his had holes already there?

"Brian Gaff" Wrote in message:
Many posts have holes already though hence my comments.
Brian

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker Wrote in message:
On 20/05/2019 16:29, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

6mm /7mm holes? 1" deep?

Can't imagine breaking a concrete fence post carefully drilling a
couple of those...

Test drilling time (again)....

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 16:29, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

If his posts came with holes there would be no need to drill them with
the concomitant risks. And MILE threaded rod also makes it easier to
remove the posts/panels for repair or replacement.

I can see why it might be. Firstly, it involves extra work to drill
holes and secondly, I have seen some posts that have cracked while
drilling as the drill has first hit metal and then been deflected
sideways - sometimes that metal can be in odd positions, bent before or
during manufacture of the posts.

SteveW

6mm /7mm holes? 1" deep?

Can't imagine breaking a concrete fence post carefully drilling a
couple of those...

What size plugs and screws are you proposing he should use so just 2 of
them will support what for all we know may be a 6x6' panel in an exposed
position?

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 16:29, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

The same size that would support the same panel in wooden posts
shurely?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 16:29, Jim K.. wrote:
Robin Wrote in message:
[...]

MILE threaded rod?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:00, Simon T wrote:
I have a fence made up of slotted concrete posts, with wooden fence
panels fitted into them.

The last panel has an end post, which is slotted on one side but plain
on the other.

However I wish to extend the fence.

Ideally, I would like to replace the post with an intermediate one
(slots on both sides). But this isn't really possible (long story).

I was therefore wondering if it was feasable to fix the panels to this
post using galvanised fence brackets screwed into them? I know these are
really made for wooden posts, but is there any reason they wouldn't work
here?

Thanks in advance.

---
https://www.avg.com

Fit a 2x4 treated batten to the end-post (which may
hjave some soles already), or clamp it to the concrete
with some stainless-steel jubilee clips (or steel band
it if you have the machine).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
[...]

What about the existing fence panel & or its slot in the concrete
post??
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----