Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any HDMI Gurus?

Other than connecting up HMDI devices 1:1 etc, I've never explored the
details of how it works etc- it simply wasn't something I needed either
at home or in my engineering days.

However, now I find myself wanting to do something and, having looked at
the various boxes/gizmos, I'm a little stuck/confused.

I have an TV with one HDMI input and manual HMDI switch with 3 inputs,
on is a Sat RX, one a Media Box, on is spare. The set up works fine- it
is installed in our motorhome (and was worked in our previous motorhome
for 5 or 6 years just fine).

Our new motorhome has HMDI cabling from the TV cabinet to the bedroom
and I'd like to mount a TV in the bedroom so I can feed and HDMI signal
there. Which one I've yet to decide (which side of the existing switch).

Basically, my question is this, what restrictions are there on feeding
two TVs (or monitors) with the same signal?, please.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 10:49, Brian Reay wrote:

Other than connecting up HMDI devices 1:1 etc, I've never explored the
details of how it works etc- it simply wasn't something I needed either
at home or in my engineering days.

However, now I find myself wanting to do something and, having looked at
the various boxes/gizmos, I'm a little stuck/confused.

I have an TV with one HDMI input and manual HMDI switch with 3 inputs,
on is a Sat RX, one a Media Box, on is spare.Â* The set up works fine- it
is installed in our motorhome (and was worked in our previous motorhome
for 5 or 6 years just fine).

Our new motorhome has HMDI cabling from the TV cabinet to the bedroom
and I'd like to mount a TV in the bedroom so I can feed and HDMI signal
there. Which one I've yet to decide (which side of the existing switch).

Basically, my question is this, what restrictions are there on feeding
two TVs (or monitors) withÂ* the same signal?, please.

You can get HDMI splitters. Note that some may not support passing
signals with High Def Content Protection (HDCP) - but many do (and
actually strip HDCP in the process which is quite handy).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 11:48, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Some (maybe all?) splitters default to the lower resolution of the two
TVs if they are on at the same time so don't buy a lower resolution one
as the second TV unless you are happy with this.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Is this something which would be mentioned in the spec, please?
Any idea what I should look for or is it as simple as €˜strips HDCP. (I
dont intend to do any copying.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Thank you. Normal def, rather than HD is fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Reay wrote:

[...]

I got a neat 4 input 2 output switch off Ebay. Allows you to send any one
of the four inputs to either (or both) of the outputs. With remote control.

I use this to feed the TV in the kitchen. So any of the STBs can be used
there.

Before, I used a HDMI splitter on the output of the PVR only, so that
could be viewed simultaneously on both sets. Can still do that, but more
too.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
Thank you. Is this something which would be mentioned in the spec, please?
Any idea what I should look for or is it as simple as €˜strips HDCP. (I
dont intend to do any copying.)

It will expressly *not* be mentioned in the spec, because that violates the
HDMI licence agreement. Look at Amazon/whatever reviews to see if people
report stripping.

In general, a 1-to-N splitter can't do HDCP on both ports because HDCP is an
ongoing conversation between each end and the source can't talk to two
consumers at once. However a spec that says a splitter 'supports HDCP' will
work two ways: either strip HDCP completely, or regenerate the signal with
two conversations going on on the downstream ports. The latter is more
expensive, which is why the cheaper boxes strip (and to hell with the
rules). Start at the cheapest and see if you can find one where people say
it strips (and doesn't have some other flaw).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 15:02, Theo wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

Thank you.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 11:48, John Rumm wrote:

You can get HDMI splitters. Note that some may not support passing
signals with High Def Content Protection (HDCP) - but many do (and
actually strip HDCP in the process which is quite handy).

+1 I would advise looking out for ones that strip the HDCP - it's a PITA
and is showing up more and more on major streaming services.

My Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar cannot handle the latest version of HDCP and
I'm been feeling the pain for a while - not had time to research and buy
a stripper.

--
Email does not work