Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hinges

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense. Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again. Any thoughts?

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 May 2019 10:08:51 +0100, Graeme
wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense. Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again. Any thoughts?

Try https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 10:08, Graeme wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.Â* Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again.Â* Any thoughts?

Old hardware catalogues used to have something called iirc bar-top
hinges, for the kind of thing Del-boy fell through. The pivot ½" proud
though? that would be wierd.

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above
the flap surface

cranked hinge?

That was my first thought, but unless I'm missing the obvious, a cranked
hinge is only cranked on one side.

I've looked through a million web pages and online catalogues. I know
I've seen what I want, which makes it even more frustrating. The
alternative is to mount ordinary hinges on blocks of wood, to lift them
above the flap surface. I have done that before, and it worked, but is
a bit ugly.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 11:19, Graeme wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

Â*For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above
theÂ* flap surface

cranked hinge?

That was my first thought, but unless I'm missing the obvious, a cranked
hinge is only cranked on one side.

I've looked through a million web pages and online catalogues.Â* I know
I've seen what I want, which makes it even more frustrating.Â* The
alternative is to mount ordinary hinges on blocks of wood, to lift them
above the flap surface.Â* I have done that before, and it worked, but is
a bit ugly.

When you hang a door with a 'proud pivot' hinge to allow the doors to
fold all the way back clearing architraves the arcane name for the
hardware is Parliament Hinge. obv they are set into the edges not into
the flat surface.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pa...w=1229&bih=901
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 10:08, Graeme wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.Â* Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again.Â* Any thoughts?

Offset hinge?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3mcg5wf

https://www.google.co.uk/search?neww...30.Xnx9Q3jIQaw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 10:39, TimW wrote:
On 20/05/2019 10:08, Graeme wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above
the flap surface, if that makes sense.Â* Hinge fixing surface is
horizontal, then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back
down 90 degrees to horizontal again.Â* Any thoughts?

Old hardware catalogues used to have something called iirc bar-top
hinges, for the kind of thing Del-boy fell through. The pivot ½" proud
though? that would be wierd.

+1

searching for "counter flap hinges" seems to give a fair few. (But I
ran away the only time I was asked to fit them: tapered rebates beyond me.)

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes

Offset hinge?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3mcg5wf

Almost! That included a double offset hinge. A strap double offset
hinge would be perfect.

https://www.boatid.com/whitecap/fold...16-w-304-stain
less-steel-mpn-s-3444.html
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TimW
writes

When you hang a door with a 'proud pivot' hinge to allow the doors to
fold all the way back clearing architraves the arcane name for the
hardware is Parliament Hinge.

Yes. Almost perfect - a Parliament hinge, but with the ends with the
screw holes bent 90 degrees.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 12:28, Graeme wrote:
In message , TimW writes

When you hang a door with a 'proud pivot' hinge to allow the doors to
fold all the way back clearing architraves the arcane name for the
hardware is Parliament Hinge.

Yes.Â* Almost perfect - a Parliament hinge, but with the ends with the
screw holes bent 90 degrees.

Are we talking about an H-Hinge?

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Graeme wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above
the flap surface

cranked hinge?

That was my first thought, but unless I'm missing the obvious, a cranked
hinge is only cranked on one side.

I've looked through a million web pages and online catalogues. I know
I've seen what I want, which makes it even more frustrating. The
alternative is to mount ordinary hinges on blocks of wood, to lift them
above the flap surface. I have done that before, and it worked, but is
a bit ugly.

Do you mean 'parliament hinges'?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TimW
writes

Are we talking about an H-Hinge?

I had to Google that! Thanks, but no.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Chris Green
writes

Do you mean 'parliament hinges'?

Parliament hinges would be fine, IF the 'screw' end were bent out at 90
degrees.

This is a flap, 8 inches wide, 24 long, allowing walk in access to a toy
train layout. An ordinary flat hinge would be fine BUT the flap will
have track over it, butt jointed at each end of the flap. At the hinge
end, the pivot needs to be half an inch above 'base' level otherwise the
flap will not rise without the ends of track mashing each other.

I think the simple solution will be ordinary strap hinges mounted on
blocks of wood, sufficient to provide clearance.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Offset hinge?
The problem I see is that there are any number of bespoke hinges on
already existing devices but if you look for a replacement they are never
standard as you buy them, you really need to find out where the original
came from but on old gear that is probably not possible any more.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Graeme wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface

cranked hinge?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 13:51, Graeme wrote:
In message , TimW writes

Are we talking about an H-Hinge?

I had to Google that!Â* Thanks, but no.

How about a double ended strap hinge, a vice and a hammer?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense. Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again. Any thoughts?

--
Graeme

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"
https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes

How about a double ended strap hinge, a vice and a hammer?

That has crossed my mind, but have reservations concerning my ability to
get all four bends (two per hinge) in exactly the right place. That,
though, would work perfectly.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 18:52, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, GraemeÂ* wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wise-Seat...2/163632712774

But you need to find a cheaper source.

Of course the obvious thing to do is hinge it at the bottom and let it
go down rather than up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 20:43, dennis@home wrote:
On 20/05/2019 18:52, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, GraemeÂ* wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wise-Seat...2/163632712774

But you need to find a cheaper source.

Of course the obvious thing to do is hinge it at the bottom and let it
go down rather than up.

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ed-pair-526817

fitted to the sides would probably work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 20/05/2019 10:08, Graeme wrote:

Looking for a particular type of hinge, but frustrated because I don't
know the proper name.

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.Â* Hinge fixing surface is horizontal,
then bends 90 degrees to vertical, to the pivot, then back down 90
degrees to horizontal again.Â* Any thoughts?

parliament hinge?

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wise-Seat...3-X-11-8WD12/1
63632712774

But you need to find a cheaper source.

Indeed :-)

Of course the obvious thing to do is hinge it at the bottom and let it
go down rather than up.

Not so obvious. There is a larger flap, lifting upwards, below the new
flap. See discussion here a couple of years ago. Plan is, the new
smaller flap (6 inches wide, two feet long) will flap up, hinged on the
left, allowing the existing flap (2 feet square) to lift, hinged on the
right.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...nge-240mm-brig
ht-zinc-plated-pair-526817

fitted to the sides would probably work.

Agreed. The only reason I haven't used that style is there is more
'meat' in the wood from above than from the side.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/05/2019 13:57, Graeme wrote:
In message , Chris Green
writes

Do you mean 'parliament hinges'?

Parliament hinges would be fine, IF the 'screw' end were bent out at 90
degrees.

This is a flap, 8 inches wide, 24 long, allowing walk in access to a toy
train layout.Â* An ordinary flat hinge would be fine BUT the flap will
have track over it, butt jointed at each end of the flap.Â* At the hinge
end, the pivot needs to be half an inch above 'base' level otherwise the
flap will not rise without the ends of track mashing each other.

I will have the same thing once I get round to the harbour section on my
layout, but I'll have to make it lift-out, hinge-down or have very tall
hinges and scenery to cover them, as the track (N6.5/Nn3 narrow gauge)
will be raised a couple of inches higher than the board, as it crosses
the N-gauge line before reaching the hinged section and will require a
correspondingly high pivot point.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 20/05/2019 18:52, Graeme wrote:
In message , harry
writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too close
to the flap surface.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wise-Seat...2/163632712774

But you need to find a cheaper source.

Of course the obvious thing to do is hinge it at the bottom and let it go
down rather than up.

Hopeless with the train stuff where it will get in the road when going thru.
Makes a lot more sense to use the proper hinges and have it lift up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 May 2019 05:29:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Hopeless with the train stuff where it will get in the road when going thru.
Makes a lot more sense to use the proper hinges and have it lift up.

Oh, no! And this thread has been Rodent-free so far! tsk

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 May 2019 19:03:06 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 10:09:09 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

For a lifting flap, but the pivot needs to be half inch or so above the
flap surface, if that makes sense.

It's called a "Bar flap hinge"

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.
--
Graeme

There are two hing points per hinge.
Distance apart varies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 19:03:06 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.

There are two hing points per hinge.
Distance apart varies.

Harry, I am not sure what you mean. I can certainly make bar flap
hinges work, by attaching blocks of wood to the flap and adjoining
counter, then mounting the hinges on the blocks, raising the pivot
points a minimum of half an inch. That is what I will probably do. What
I can't do is mount the hinges directly on the flap and counter.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2019 09:59, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Monday, 20 May 2019 19:03:06 UTC+1, GraemeÂ* wrote:

Standard bar flap hinge (Del Boy) will not work as the pivot is too
close to the flap surface.

There are two hing points per hinge.
Distance apart varies.

Harry, I am not sure what you mean.Â* I can certainly make bar flap
hinges work, by attaching blocks of wood to the flap and adjoining
counter, then mounting the hinges on the blocks, raising the pivot
points a minimum of half an inch.Â* That is what I will probably do. What
I can't do is mount the hinges directly on the flap and counter.

If you are going to do that you may as well use kitchen cabinet hinges.
You can hide them under a building.

How to "impede" hinges ? [email protected] UK diy 2 November 4th 03 12:41 AM
Hinges and ideas for shutters David Micklem UK diy 9 October 17th 03 02:59 PM
Washing machine - cupboard door hinges John Hearns UK diy 1 September 5th 03 05:22 PM
Funny hinges N. Thornton UK diy 3 July 9th 03 01:55 AM
Door Hinges Jig Michael McNeil UK diy 4 July 7th 03 07:33 AM