Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Nuisance calls

On Thu, 16 May 2019 11:32:23 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 16/05/2019 08:38, alan_m wrote:
On 16/05/2019 06:22, billj wrote:

"Tim+" wrote in message

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 15 May 2019 06:23:54 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
My elderly neighbour was complaining about nuisance calls. I said I'd
register them with the Telephone Preference Service, but I find
they're already registered. I presume this means that the bulk of
their nuisance calls are coming from overseas, although I'm also with
the TPI and get very few, just the occasional broadband cut-off scam,
as do my neighbours.

Is there an alternative or addition to the TPS that also blocks
overseas nuisance calls?

TPS is toothless. Get a call blocking phone, BT 4600 for example.

Tim+

Hmm...thanks. They did say they'd got a phone that was supposed to
stop nuisance calls, but that it didn't seem to be working. I suspect
they don't understand how to use or set it up. I'll investigate
further.

You need to set up a white list and shunt all unknown callers to the
answerphone. That way one doesn’t miss anything really important.* In my
experience nuisance callers (except automated machines) never bother
leaving messages.

Trouble is that by the time you get around to checking the
answerphone, it may well be too late and the individual
you care about may be dead.

My call blocking phone has an annoying beep every 15/30 seconds if there
is a answerphone message that hasn't been played.

My phone is set for call monitoring so I can hear what is being recorded
on the answerphone so I can, if I wish, pick up the phone to speak to
the caller directly rather than let them finish on the answerphone

I agree with other posters - 99% cold callers hang up on getting the
outgoing answerphone message and don't leave any message on the
answerphone.

Answerphones can cause their own problems.

We received a couple of calls while we were out, but no message was
left. The next day a message was left. The person calling had been
reluctant to leave a message telling us that a relative had died and
hung on to try and talk to use directly, but eventually decided that
they had to leave one. That meant we didn't find out about the death
until 17:30 on Friday evening and needed to be in Sligo by 11:15 on
Saturday morning! The last flight that night was 20:30 and we couldn't
get organised, get our children to my parents, get to the airport and
through security in time and the earliest the next morning was too late
for us to pick up a hire car and get right across Ireland. In the end we
had to egt organised, leave at 22:00, drive to Holyhead, cross to
Dublin, drive to Sligo (arriving with 15 minutes to spare), attend the
funeral service, the burial and the reception afterwards, then
immediately leave for Belfast, cross to Stranraer and drive back to
Manchester.

If we hadn't had an answerphone, they'd likely have asked a family
member and got one of our mobile numbers, getting the info to us earlier.

SteveW

How about having your answerphone message give your mobile number as
an alternative?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2019 11:27, Dave W wrote:

How about having your answerphone message give your mobile number as
an alternative?

That will be a big help to the spammers.

Currently my mobile is nearly free of cold calls which cannot be said of
my landline.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
How about having your answerphone message give your mobile number as
an alternative?

That will be a big help to the spammers.

Currently my mobile is nearly free of cold calls which cannot be said of
my landline.

Probably because it's more difficult to get free calls to a mobile.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
[...]

answerphone. That way one doesnt miss anything really important.Â* In my
[...]

I have thought of that, but the majority of answerphone messages are not
so urgent and I'd not want people to be phoning at work or while
driving. I'd prefer that people just left a message, but unfortunately
people don't like to use answerphones to let you know that someone is
dead or dying.

SteveW