Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supplying power to a computer desktop

Checking my thinking for any gotchas.

I am reorganising the office and putting a couple of kitchen drawer units
with a desktop across up against one wall.

There is only one double socket at the moment and this is on the opposite
wall.

My plan is to take power to the wall under the desktop then fit some
switched 13A sockets into the desktop itself, instead of having several
sockets in the wall below and distribution boards feeding from the desktop
down to them.

Now it looks fairly simple to put a switched fused spur into a box in the
wall below the desk, then just wire from the box to the sockets on top.

It seems that the electrical load would be no more than having extension
leads with loads of sockets.

Is there a downside?

Apart from one switch taking out the whole desktop instead of a couple of
switched sockets?

It looks neater, but probably far more expensive through using boxes and
switched sockets instead of the 6 way extension leads that I currently use.

I suppose one downside is the temptation for me (or another) to plug
another multi-socket extension lead into the desktop socket, putting more
load on the spur than you would get if plugged directly into a 13A ring
main. A bit like the traditional cascade of extension leads beloved by
computer users.

The alternative would be to extend the 13A ring main to the desktop but
I'm not sure quite how to wire that.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/2019 17:24, David wrote:
[...]

I would not mount 13A sockets on a desktop computer. You could use C13
to C14 cables and then have a C13 Power Distribution Unit which would be
smaller than a row of 13Amp sockets.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We used UPSs with that socketery when I was working. The problem with
them is all the wall-warts for your routers & switches etc, so they
ended up plugged into raw mains.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David wrote:
Checking my thinking for any gotchas.

I am reorganising the office and putting a couple of kitchen drawer
units with a desktop across up against one wall.

There is only one double socket at the moment and this is on the
opposite wall.

My plan is to take power to the wall under the desktop then fit some
switched 13A sockets into the desktop itself, instead of having several
sockets in the wall below and distribution boards feeding from the
desktop down to them.

Now it looks fairly simple to put a switched fused spur into a box in
the wall below the desk, then just wire from the box to the sockets on
top.

Fit a switched FCU spurred off your ring in a convenient position feeded a
socket in another convenient position. Then multiway socket extension
lead(s) from that. Nothing domestic computer wise take much in the way of
current.

[...]

*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I'd be thinking of angled bench sockets attached to the rear of your
desktop with a long lead to your socket. Like:

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/cate...ng-bench-units

Although I would avoid CEF like the plague!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
[...]

What is it with these stupid ****ers so ****ing stupid
having very light grey images on a white background.

Although I would avoid CEF like the plague!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 May 2019 06:25:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

What is it with these stupid ****ers so ****ing stupid
having very light grey images on a white background.

Oh, ****! And this senile trolling asshole from Oz HAD to **** also in this
thread. tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

[...]

I use a standard cheap 4 way extension lead and replace the plug with
the male version of C13/4 whichever it is. I then mark the socket
strip with lots of permanent marker to remind me these are for small
loads connected to the UPS.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 May 2019 19:51:09 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

[...]

As it happens, I took delivery of a new bench yesterday and have spent
part of today fitting exactly such angled units!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One other thing about these 6 way sockets, they are too close together if
any of the peripherals have odball plugs with the psu inside them, or the
cable coming out of the side or back. I have several of these and also a
plug in wireless switched socket all of which block the next socket along in
each direction so if using discrete sockets space them accordingly!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

[...]

I did something like that on occasion but received wisdom was we
"weren't insured" to do modifications like change a plug...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%