DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing a plain flat roof section with some fancy glassfibrestuff (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/635779-replacing-plain-flat-roof-section-some-fancy-glassfibrestuff.html)

Chris May 17th 19 12:02 PM

replacing a plain flat roof section with some fancy glassfibrestuff

Hi all,

Our house has a flat roof section (so called 'cold roof') running between
two conventional diagonal gradient tiled roofs. It's 1.2m wide by 6.0m
long and is currently covered in roofing felt (with the green shingly
stuff). Anyway, it's getting a bit tired so I got some quotes to replace
it. Bad news is, seems it's not up to code these days and the roofers
want to replace it with some fancy 'Polyroof System' to make it more
efficient. But they've quoted me £5,720 + VAT to do it. That seems a heck
of a lot. I'll never get my money back on heating saved before I die!

So... does the price seem about right, or am I getting shafted?

tia.

George Miles May 17th 19 01:08 PM

replacing a plain flat roof section with some fancy glassfibre stuff

you may as well put in lots of insulation when its open.

I've learnt to DIY this stuff from Firestone,
i went on their one day course in derbyshire,
its great
https://www.permaroof.co.uk/rubber-roof-videos

[g]

Chris May 17th 19 02:53 PM

On Fri, 17 May 2019 05:08:18 -0700, George Miles wrote:

you may as well put in lots of insulation when its open.

The stuff they're trying to flog me is already insulated. It says here
from their estimate and I quote:

"The flat roof area between the two pitched roofs will be replaced by
Polyroof Protec system. The existing roof will be stripped back to the
rafter line, reinstated with new Polyroof approved 18mm board, vapour
control layer, 120mm rigid insulation and Protec fibreglass system on
top."
Supposedly guaranteed 20 years which is a lot longer than I'll live if I
have to pay £5,700 for them to fit 1.2m x 6m of the stuff.

David WE Roberts[_7_] May 17th 19 05:05 PM

On Fri, 17 May 2019 13:53:30 +0000, Chris wrote:

On Fri, 17 May 2019 05:08:18 -0700, George Miles wrote:

you may as well put in lots of insulation when its open.

The stuff they're trying to flog me is already insulated. It says here
from their estimate and I quote:

"The flat roof area between the two pitched roofs will be replaced by
Polyroof Protec system. The existing roof will be stripped back to the
rafter line, reinstated with new Polyroof approved 18mm board, vapour
control layer, 120mm rigid insulation and Protec fibreglass system on
top."
Supposedly guaranteed 20 years which is a lot longer than I'll live if I
have to pay £5,700 for them to fit 1.2m x 6m of the stuff.

Try a local general builder.

Replacing a flat roof is not rocket science and they will all have done it.

That price looks far too high, IMHO.

Cheers

Dave R

--
W7 64 bit HTPC Intel Core i5 2500k Asrock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3

---

[email protected] May 17th 19 05:06 PM

On Friday, 17 May 2019 12:02:26 UTC+1, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

Our house has a flat roof section (so called 'cold roof') running between
two conventional diagonal gradient tiled roofs. It's 1.2m wide by 6.0m
long and is currently covered in roofing felt (with the green shingly
stuff). Anyway, it's getting a bit tired so I got some quotes to replace
it. Bad news is, seems it's not up to code these days and the roofers
want to replace it with some fancy 'Polyroof System' to make it more
efficient. But they've quoted me £5,720 + VAT to do it. That seems a heck
of a lot. I'll never get my money back on heating saved before I die!

So... does the price seem about right, or am I getting shafted?

tia.

What a **** take. DIY.

NT

Chris B[_2_] May 18th 19 08:13 AM

On 17/05/2019 12:02, Chris wrote:
Hi all,

Our house has a flat roof section (so called 'cold roof') running between
two conventional diagonal gradient tiled roofs. It's 1.2m wide by 6.0m
long and is currently covered in roofing felt (with the green shingly
stuff). Anyway, it's getting a bit tired so I got some quotes to replace
it. Bad news is, seems it's not up to code these days and the roofers
want to replace it with some fancy 'Polyroof System' to make it more
efficient. But they've quoted me £5,720 + VAT to do it. That seems a heck
of a lot. I'll never get my money back on heating saved before I die!

So... does the price seem about right, or am I getting shafted?

tia.

We saw and spoke about some fibreglass roofing system at one of the
ideal home exhibition this year as we may need to get a car port
repaired. Without the guy seeing it he gave a ballpark sum of £100/sq m
for replacing a car port roof, he did point out that it would be more
for habitable areas as you may have to include extra insulation but it
cant be that much more.

Although there is not date on it this page more or less supports that
sort of price point

https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/videos-a...at-roof-costs/

--
Chris B (News)

Chris May 18th 19 10:34 AM

On Sat, 18 May 2019 08:13:58 +0100, Chris B wrote:

Although there is not date on it this page more or less supports that
sort of price point

https://www.fixmyroof.co.uk/videos-a...f-replacement/

flat-roof-costs/

Thanks, Chris!